Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bent Vents and Flares

Hi folks,

I have a twofer question: I'm just wondering if it's ok to bend a bass reflex vent? Also, how does one account for a flare in the end of a vent (does the length measurement stop before the flare or does a flare affect it)?

TIA!

Yes, elbows are fine, although it's best to use a smooth elbow, since air does shuttle back and forth in the vent. I usually calculate using halfway into the flare and get good results.
    Francis

Comment

• billfitzmaurice
      billfitzmaurice commented
      Editing a comment
      Smooth bends look nice but at the wavelengths where ports operate the shape doesn't matter. The additional length and air column mass contributed by a flare has little effect. You can't account for it in a basic box program, but you can if you model with HornResp.

Originally posted by LewisH View Post
    I'm just wondering if it's ok to bend a bass reflex vent? Also, how does one account for a flare in the end of a vent (does the length measurement stop before the flare or does a flare affect it)?
    I almost always end up using a bend in my ports. https://techtalk.parts-express.com/f...08#post1488308

In terms of length I would account for around half the depth of the flare but in reality I always start with the port a little long and actually measure results before trimming/fine tuning. Modelling software is pretty good but never dead on, particularly when introducing port irregularities.

Constructions: Dayton+SB 2-Way v1 | Dayton+SB 2-Way v2 | Fabios (SB Monitors)
    Refurbs: KLH 2 | Rega Ela Mk1

Comment

Thanks all, that's great news to me. I will flare and chop it down after measuring. Perfect!

Comment

Working...
      X