No announcement yet.

Help with surrounds - Low cost, low distortion, and high sensitivity; $125 max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with surrounds - Low cost, low distortion, and high sensitivity; $125 max

Dirac Live Spatial Audio - absolutely awesome
    I am excited about the upcoming Onkyo flagship AVR and AVP. Dirac Live will be used and there will be bass management. I am looking further ahead at Dirac Spacial Sound (https://www.dirac.com/the-arrival-of...on-technology/), which uses loudspeaker co-optimization for room correction, reflecting a flattening out, a reduction in spatial variations, and cancellation of room resonances.

Therefore I am beginning to care about the quality of my surrounds in home theater as they will all contribute to the sound from the mains.

What I have considered:
    I am planning to modify the existing cabinet into a sloped baffle or a triangle shaped enclosure for easy mounting at the ceiling corners. I have already looked at the following:
    PartsExpress C-Note: Great value, good distortion but not near the sub crossover. Sensitivity is too low
    Zaph ZA14 + XT25: Sensitivity too low and the ZA14 will not be happy at all in the lower frequencies. More of a midrange than a midwoofer.
    SBAcoustics SB16PFCR25-4 coax: Great directivity and 90db sensitivity. Cheap and includes a crossover plan however I can find no distortion measurements and comments that the cone moving will destroy the tweeter response. More of a midrange I guess and not to be crossed at 80hz? Easiest to fit into a cabinet.
    SBAcoustics SB17: 90db sensitivity but I can't find XT25 tweeter designs or something to keep price down. Distortion below 150hz similar to the C-Note but with good sensitivity. Might be okay crossed at 80hz.
    Volt 8: Too heavy for a ceiling mount, not my cup of tea.

What is a good loudspeaker with good sensitivity, distortion, and value that doesn't sacrifice much?

Hmmm, you may have stumbled upon another design constraint rule. Pick any two of those three.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

You really don't need much capability from surrounds, because their program material isn't demanding. I use these, without tweeters, and they have no problem keeping up with my line array mains and horn loaded sub: https://www.parts-express.com/GRS-4F...80-02F-292-434
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Try extruding this through your criteria filter. I built a pair of ported as 2.1 satellites, very pleased for about $100. Crossed at 80 with a Dayton 8" dsp sub. Desktop.

https://techtalk.parts-express.com/f...0-8-easy-build

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton...-8-Ohm-295-384

Comment

The Peerless TC8FD05-04 3" is inexpensive @ $10.23 and relatively efficient at 88.96 db, but unfortunately currently out of stock. Peerless offers several other small (2-1/2" - 4") inexpensive drivers with less efficiency which could be doubled up.

Comment

• mattk
            mattk commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't see that sensitivity in the specs

The problem with the CX-120 is not the quality but for my case the sensitivity. Seems like an excellent speaker for Dipole/Bipole surround speakers assuming that sensitivity will go up the same as a monopole. Measurements here: http://www.dibirama.altervista.org/l...coassiali.html

The Peerless TC8 is good but will have very high distortion on the low end. The TC9 would be my go to if the low end is not a concern as a full-ranger.

Right now I am leaning towards the Sica or SB 6.5" coax. Only 6" woofers seem to be sensitive enough and get to 80hz cleanly enough.

Comment

Don't sweat getting to 80Hz. 100Hz is fine. I wouldn't be all that concerned about sensitivity either, surrounds don't need to go anywhere near as loud as the rest. My L/R have 12dB higher sensitivity than my surrounds with no ill effect.
            www.billfitzmaurice.com
            www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Thanks Bill. In that case I will go with something smaller that looks better too.

Comment

The Dolby Surround Mixing Manual specs the surround channel at 100-7kHz. It actually says large speakers for base and extended range tweeters for high frequencies are not needed.

Comment

Originally posted by devnull View Post
                  The Dolby Surround Mixing Manual specs the surround channel at 100-7kHz. It actually says large speakers for base and extended range tweeters for high frequencies are not needed.
                  DTS and AC-3 are, I believe, much wider bandwidth, however.
                  Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Dolby Atmos is full bandwidth on all ( ALL ) channels. Dolby pro logic II small surrounds are fine I guess. I just built full size 3 ways for my L and R surrounds with the same driver in my mains two 3' mids two 8' woofers and all I can say is wow your missing out if your surrounds aren't full range. And I have 3 18 inch subs also, it is a large room so space is my enemy.

Comment

Working...
                    X