question about speaker crossover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about speaker crossover

I am making a really simple cheap speaker (consisting of bluetooth amplifier ZK-502C, Dayton audio TCP115-4 and Dayton audio ND16FA-4) and i need a capcitor to cut low frequencies for tweeter. Usualy i used a electrolytic or ceramic capacitor to cap it at around 3500Hz. But today i read a guide on crossover and both types of capacitors are said to have negative effect on audio quality. The summary of the guide was that it is best to use film capacitors. Since i never dealt with them before i am looking for some help in choosing the right one.

Don’t worry about it too much if the goal is “simple” and “cheap”.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

Comment

Audio quality and cheap as chips: https://www.parts-express.com/speake...ver-capacitors
      Constructions: Dayton+SB 2-Way v1 | Dayton+SB 2-Way v2 | Fabios (SB Monitors)
      Refurbs: KLH 2 | Rega Ela Mk1

Comment

If you haven't bought the drivers yet there's a very popular design using that woofer and similar tweeter.

https://duanebrowndesigns.blogspot.c...-speakers.html

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
          If you haven't bought the drivers yet there's a very popular design using that woofer and similar tweeter.
          https://duanebrowndesigns.blogspot.c...-speakers.html
          Thank you, i know of that design, its supposed to be really good for its price. Sadly the speakers im making atm are of custom, smaller design.

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
          Don’t worry about it too much if the goal is “simple” and “cheap”.
          Thank you. I will just order some electrolytic or ceramic capacitors then. Maybe a followup question. I am supplying my amplifier with 25V. So i usualy buy 25 or 30V capacitors just to be safe. But in reality capacitor has to be a lot lower if i remember correctly. Isnt it something like square root of voltage ? So if i am supplying 25V into my amp that is 2x50W, that would mean even 5V capacitor would be enough ?

Comment

Assuming you supply 50W to your speaker, P = V^2/R, so V = sqrt(P*R).
            For a 4 ohm speaker, V=14.1V @ 50W
            For a 8 ohm speaker, V=20V @ 50W.

The bipolar electrolytics sold at PE for a couple dollars are rated for 100V, which is suitable for most speakers.
            I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

Comment

Just buy the audio grade capacitors I linked - they are usually 250volts plus!
              Constructions: Dayton+SB 2-Way v1 | Dayton+SB 2-Way v2 | Fabios (SB Monitors)
              Refurbs: KLH 2 | Rega Ela Mk1

Comment

Feel free to use my xo design. Even if you resize the speakers it should be close. Use audio caps. I never by expensive ones. All the ones that PE sells will be fine.

Comment

Parts express ordering is sadly not an option for me since i live in central Europe and the last time i checked, mailing alone was like 100$. Otherwise i would order all my things from parts express since they offer a great selection. But another site with similar pricess charges me like 5-10$ shipping so its a no brainer for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X