"Hacking" a BT speaker...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Hacking" a BT speaker...

After pricing a DIY BT speaker out, I decided it would probably be easier and cheaper for me to just buy a BT speaker and modify it if necessary. After reviewing multiple Youtube videos on the subject, I decided to go with the Mifa Wildbox. It works quite well, certainly better than I expected, considering the price. Like other "commercial" BT speakers, it's capable of having its firmware updated via a config file. I suspect that these BT speakers are likely using off the shelf DSP chips and the like - has anyone here ever tried hacking the firmware to see if it can be DIY'd?
    Brian Steele
    www.diysubwoofers.org

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post
    After pricing a DIY BT speaker out, I decided it would probably be easier and cheaper for me to just buy a BT speaker and modify it if necessary. After reviewing multiple Youtube videos on the subject, I decided to go with the Mifa Wildbox. It works quite well, certainly better than I expected, considering the price. Like other "commercial" BT speakers, it's capable of having its firmware updated via a config file. I suspect that these BT speakers are likely using off the shelf DSP chips and the like - has anyone here ever tried hacking the firmware to see if it can be DIY'd?
    What about the firmware are you trying to hack?

I'm not sure if I'm following you exactly, but I think hacking bluetooth speakers all the time. Or, at least being able to salvage the bluetooth/amp portion of them. I keep hoping to find cheap ones worth ripping apart. I hadn't heard of the Mifa Wildbox, so i looked it up. It's a bit more expensive than I was expecting. Honestly, in my mind, once the bluetooth box costs $100, it's too good to pilfer for parts. Like, I've hard some bluetooth mini speakers at this price point that, honestly can be pretty darn good. (I still use a Sony SRS-X33 that I got like 7 years ago--it travels with me in my laptop bag. I think the retail on that was like $100-$120 when it was new.)

If you do choose to hack the Wildbox (or any other bluetooth speaker), please keep us posted. I'm very interested.
    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
    Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

The last firmware update that I loaded on the Wildbox boosted the treble a bit too much for my liking, so I was wondering if it was possible to hack the firmware to undo the boost.

The Wildbox goes on sale from time to time and can be found for less, and is comparable to the JBL Extreme, which costs significantly more.

I did purchase it with the idea of enjoying it for awhile and then moving the electronics, etc. to a DIY enclosure, but the damned thing sounds so good (with a bit of EQ on my Android phone) that the only real "hack" I've done to it is to add some polyester fiberfill damping behind the bass drivers. I also did some measurements of the Wildbox - see here : The Subwoofer DIY Page - The Mifa Wildbox (diysubwoofers.org)
      Brian Steele
      www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Can you open the config file in notepad or some other text editor?

Comment

I tried that - Notepad wasn't very happy trying to open it at all, LOL.
          I think I was hoping too much that it would be something like a simple INI file...

At 3MB, the file's a bit too large to load here, but it can be downloaded from the Support link at the Mifa site, www.mifa.net.
          Brian Steele
          www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

I downloaded it and tried to open the .FW file once I read the instructions - looks like machine code - not likely to hack it.

Maybe someone smarter can tell us more?

Comment

Might be able to build one cheap enough. If you go amlow powdered CSR or qcc by module you can hook it up to a PC and modify eq and other settings to make a.bass shelf.

Not what you asked, but it's what I've been going for fun and cheap enough

Comment

With an FR like that, yeah I'm not really sure it's worth trying to improve it. I'll bet it sounds pretty darn good.

Thinking about the firmware and its EQ settings. I'll bet it's borderline machine code. The thing is, what we think of "+3 dB boost at 500 Hz" or whatever needs to be translated into a filter, which basically is a big pile of math. I imagine the math was done earlier on, and then that generates a bunch of code which constitutes "a filter," which is what get saved as the firmware file.

I could be wrong, but it just seems more likely that the more human-understandable stuff happened further upstream. OTOH, if we were lucky, it would be like reading the config for Cisco IOS device. Like, everything you want is there, in human-readable language. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                  With an FR like that, yeah I'm not really sure it's worth trying to improve it. I'll bet it sounds pretty darn good.
                  It does, after the treble boost is addressed by EQ in my Android phone . Without EQ, the boosted highs can get annoying after awhile, a bit less so if I use the speaker outdoors. I recently heard that an upcoming update, 2.06, might deal with the excess treble issue, and if that's the case, GREAT!

BTW, I purchased another BT speaker recently, the Stormbox Micro 2. This one's more of a clip-on personal BT speaker, rather than something the size of the Wildbox. It's truly amazing what they've managed to squeeze out of a 2" speaker in a gnat-sized box. And 10W of power - that's likely more than my old Sanyo massive boombox was able to do - both channels.

Brian Steele
                  www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post

It does, after the treble boost is addressed by EQ in my Android phone . Without EQ, the boosted highs can get annoying after awhile, a bit less so if I use the speaker outdoors. I recently heard that an upcoming update, 2.06, might deal with the excess treble issue, and if that's the case, GREAT!

BTW, I purchased another BT speaker recently, the Stormbox Micro 2. This one's more of a clip-on personal BT speaker, rather than something the size of the Wildbox. It's truly amazing what they've managed to squeeze out of a 2" speaker in a gnat-sized box. And 10W of power - that's likely more than my old Sanyo massive boombox was able to do - both channels.
                    Perhaps a well calibrated piece of fabric in front of the tweeter?

Comment

NS10 > NS10M styled engineering?

Comment

Maybe not Hi-Fi enough for us 'speaker types' but here is a YT video I remembered watching where the DIY Perks guy turned old earbuds into a bluetooth speaker.

https://youtu.be/zNHDbXAmY_0

TomZ
                        Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

• Paul Carmody
                          Paul Carmody commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I think about that video all the time. I keep thinking I need to try it.

• zx82net
                          zx82net commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I have thought about that too. It occurred to me that a cheaper rather than more expensive set of ear buds would probably be better, since they are less likely to have any system specific DSP applied.

• 3rutu5
                          3rutu5 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          there is another guy that did one similar, but without the tangband.

I have the 2inch sub and matching PR's, just cant fit all the pieces of the puzzle together at the moment
                      Working...
                      X