Woofer to go with Purifi midrange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woofer to go with Purifi midrange

I am using the PTT6.5M Purifi midrange driver from 200 hz and want advice on what woofer to use. I was debating using a single SDX12 or two RSS265HO-44s. Going for the lowest tuning and lowest distortion. Other suggestions are welcome.

You might want to provide some more information...

Comment

• analogkid455
      analogkid455 commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure what else to add. I will be using PRs to tune the box. I will also be triamping the system with ICE amps and MiniDSP. The tweeter hasn't been decided on but looking at Burilium domes. Box size doesn't matter, really. Can be 4.5 cubic ft if need be. This will be a 3 way possibly a 4 way. Trying different drivers out for top end.

Consider the SB Acoustics WO24P.

​​​​​​There are many factors involved in choosing the right woofer. Bass extension, sensitivity, baffle step, power handling, overall spl expectations and so on.

The big one, in my view, is baffle step and matching up the sensitivities. Whatever woofer you choose you'll loose 6db from it's specified sensitivity. Where this decline in output starts is dependent on the baffle size of your final speaker. If you happen to be using the purifi mainly above the baffle step range you have a mid-range with 91db sensitivity. Matched up to a 90db tweeter it's a good start for a high sensitivity system. Trouble is, very few, if any, woofers can keep up with this on their own whilst producing meaningful bass extension.

At 91db the purifi is a rather sensitive speaker for midrange duties. Generally I find a lower sensitivity midrange is easier to integrate as the inevitable crossover to both woofer and tweeter effectively boost the midrange output in most cases. Going the active path solves some of the issues of having to pad down the response of a midrange so not the same sort of concern as a passive system.

Two WO24P-8's wired for 4ohm final load will give your system around an 88db final sensitivity rating with minimal padding of midrange.

You could implement them in anywhere between 100 to 140litres, vented, for an f3 anywhere from mid 30's to high 20's. A PR implementation would need some modelling to determine suitability.

Constructions: Dayton+SB 2-Way v1 | Dayton+SB 2-Way v2 | Fabios (SB Monitors)
    Refurbs: KLH 2 | Rega Ela Mk1

Comment

• analogkid455
      analogkid455 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. That is why I am going active, to try and perserve sensitivity. I will use DSP for the baffle step. AFA spl expectations, I want the woofers to keep up with the midrange and have the lowest possible distortion. I do want bass quality. I think the Purifi will do 110 db at 1 meter and at the listening positon that will be about 98 db. Those WO24s look to be a nice woofer. The power handling and XMAX are quite a bit lower than the two other woofers I mentioned.

• DeZZar
      DeZZar commented
      Editing a comment
      Two of the SB woofers will keep up no problem. They are excellent drivers!!

If enclosure size is a concern, it's tough to beat the SDX12 in terms of distortion, extension and output. Make sure you have plenty of power on tap though. The WO24 is an amazing driver, with great bass and midrange, but for bass duties only, a pair of them won't touch a single SDX12. In fact, for bass duty only, I'd take a pair of RSS265s over a pair of WO24, even removing the cost benefit of the Daytons.
    The Hurricanes
    The Baronettes
    Conneccentric
    UX3

Comment

• analogkid455
      analogkid455 commented
      Editing a comment
      That is what I was kinda thinking. Would you say the SDX12 would do better than the Daytons? I am using the ICE amp module that puts out 1000 watts.
Working...
X