Constrained layer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by augerpro View Post
    Well since we have BillF in one corner and andy19191 in the other, I might as well jump in the ring!
    Given the time soaked up trying to sort out html/css/js for a website I think youtube videos will have to wait a year or two in my case. Not sure it is the best format though for making a case based on science and engineering since such cases rely on the application of scientific and engineering knowledge which most DIY folk don't possess. To introduce the laws and principles, skimp a lot on how those laws and principles are applied (lots of maths and computation) but with enough depth to convey what is or is not in the model and then to discuss the results in an understandable way requires both significant length and the ability for the reader to easily access what wasn't quite fully absorbed in the first pass.

I had a go at starting a group project a few years ago which didn't attract interest mainly due to misjudgement on my part I suspect. In this case I don't expect wide interest in a lot of "school" stuff for a hobby but there might be enough to continue and grow. We will see.

Comment

andy19191> if Sir Roger Penrose can talk physics on podcasts on Youtube, I think our field of interest will do just fine there too. Unless you think panel resonance is more difficult to explain than quantum gravity
      ~Brandon
      Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
      Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
      Soma Sonus

Comment

BillF> given the dimensions of my box, I only used 1 brace, since that mimics a brace every 8" or so in large speaker. Next time I do some testing I'll try 2. I need to try a window brace anyway, and some other ideas, so maybe another round of experimenting is in order.
        ~Brandon
        Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
        Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
        Soma Sonus

Comment

I try to keep the free area between braces at six inches, never more than eight. I don't use typical window braces, I do use window grille braces. The former is shown below left, the latter below right. Full window braces put material in the cabinet corners, where it's not needed, while the pieces that connect the grille sections aren't thick enough to be worthwhile.

With less material the grille method connects the opposing panels at more points, making it much more effective. I don't cut the grilles from a sheet of material, as that creates a lot of waste. Instead I use either dowels as shown below, or even better, scrap cutoffs.

I also use ports as braces when possible. I especially like corner ports for that reason, like so:

www.billfitzmaurice.com
          www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by andy19191 View Post
            Given the time soaked up trying to sort out html/css/js for a website I think youtube videos will have to wait a year or two in my case. Not sure it is the best format though for making a case based on science and engineering since such cases rely on the application of scientific and engineering knowledge which most DIY folk don't possess. To introduce the laws and principles, skimp a lot on how those laws and principles are applied (lots of maths and computation) but with enough depth to convey what is or is not in the model and then to discuss the results in an understandable way requires both significant length and the ability for the reader to easily access what wasn't quite fully absorbed in the first pass.
            A good web site doesn't have to be fancy. Consider how john k published his tech papers and studies. Heavy on the math, but also including explanations to go along with it. I have his web site archived at mine.

Archived musicanddesign

dlr
            WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Originally posted by dlr View Post
              A good web site doesn't have to be fancy. Consider how john k published his tech papers and studies. Heavy on the math, but also including explanations to go along with it. I have his web site archived at mine.
              The subjects in the "Tech Studies" section is close to the sort of thing I am considering but with a more general 3D focus rather than OB and, if I can work out how, with some community involvement to direct what is of interest and possibly grow things. Subject to sufficient interest of course . The archived status of John's work has been noted. The website design will be basic github pages (whatever that turns out to be) which I do not expect to sink much time. What is sinking time is understanding the practical side of how the web works in order to determine what I can and cannot do. It doesn't help that I have a low level of interest in the subject and tend to take every opportunity to do something else.

Apologies to the OP for wandering off topic on what is an interesting question. I don't have any useful answers at present but hope to in the future.

Comment

Working...
              X