No announcement yet.

Micro Sub build - Epique E150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood filler and Duratex covers all errors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-09-25 15.35.51.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	1491175

Name:	2022-09-29 17.18.03.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	368.0 KB
ID:	1491176

Only one coat so far, but by the weekend this thing will be ready to test with some real power, followed by installation in its new home.
    Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
    Wogg Music
    Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

And we're ready.

Name:	2022-10-01 10.53.57.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	710.7 KB
ID:	1491263

Name:	2022-10-01 10.53.26.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	533.6 KB
ID:	1491264

I think my test leads were suspect last time. I hit it with 2 channels of power to test direct to the terminals and distortion was not an issue. The port is definitely compressing and noisier than I'd like, it's clear this little woofer wants some space to move air.

Can't wait to see how this thing sounds in the truck cab.
      Wogg Music
      Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

• Steve Lee
        Steve Lee commented
        Editing a comment
        Can you try lining the internal port mouth area to dampen the noise?

• wogg
        wogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Nah, the turbulence noise is mostly in the back corner where it turns 90 degrees less than smoothly. The port velocity in general seems high, even though the sim didn't show an issue. It'll blow dry your hair at 30Hz. That's likely another side effect of such a narrow slot.

Here's the installation.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20221008_154313.jpg Views:	0 Size:	532.8 KB ID:	1491497

Name:	20221008_154305.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	700.6 KB
ID:	1491499

One issue I didn't predict. The Pioneer head unit doesn't run a sub/main crossover for the internal amp. It's setup to run a mid and tweeter, so the lowest selectable crossover frequency is 1.25kHz.

It's working, but crossed way too high for the application. An outboard amp will be installed in a couple weeks.

Regardless, I did run some sine waves and it's plenty strong in cabin on 50WRMS down to a bit under 40Hz. We'll get 6dB more headroom plugging in about 200W I have lying about taking up space.
      Attached Files
      Wogg Music

Comment

Any plans to protect the driver from damage? Sub boxes get shoved around alot over time and I could easily imagine the surround getting smashed against part of the seat eventually. Even something as basic as cabinet pull handles installed on either side can act as bumpers to help keep stuff away.
        I'm certainly not good at this. Just stubborn enough to keep going.

Comment

Originally posted by DrewsBrews View Post
          Any plans to protect the driver from damage? Sub boxes get shoved around alot over time and I could easily imagine the surround getting smashed against part of the seat eventually. Even something as basic as cabinet pull handles installed on either side can act as bumpers to help keep stuff away.
          My buddy was considering that. There is a small risk of something coming through that gap under the seat. The box is bracketed in, so it won't shift on its own at least.
          Wogg Music

Comment

Working...
          X