No announcement yet.

“Misguided” – A fun new 2-way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duanebro, see below the raw tweeter response in the waveguide.
    Attached Files

Comment

Opinions needed. I am finding that the better I get the phase alignment of the two drivers, the worse my on axis response looks. If you look below, I am using a notch filter on one to try and flatten the response, and this one gives me the best phase alignment. It is +/- 1.5 db. The simplified response gives me about +/- 1db, but I am worried about off axis response. I may have to try both, but with the cost of crossover components, it will get spendy to try. FYI, the notched response is shown in 5db increments and the simplified is 3db, so at first glance the notched looks smoother, but is not.
      Attached Files

Comment

I prefer the top one, on paper.
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I agree with Wolf.

I particularly don't like the exaggeration of the woofer's knee before roll-off. And your add-on LCR should only raise the cost of the speaker by about $5 for the cap & coil, right?

For my own curiosity & education, how is your interface between the tweeter faceplate and the WG? Any closeups? ​

Comment

Is this what you are looking for?
            Attached Files

Comment

The white piece is something I turned on the lathe afterwards and glues on. I missed it on the initial design.

Comment

Yep. That is indeed what I was curious about :-)

Comment

That raw tweeter response in the waveguide looks to me like it would roll off nicely with a first order filter.

Comment

• johnny5jz
                    johnny5jz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I gave this a try to see if it would work. It created a weird knee in the response, and phase alignment was not very good.

A little progress. I got the sides veneered. I got the bases started. I need to build the top and back panels yet. I have modeled about 6 different crossovers, and the best one so far is a slight tweak of the notched version above. I think with the Parts Express 12% off, I may get the components ordered.
                  Attached Files

Comment

A little more progress last night. I got the back of one done. Then I just have the tops and bases to attach, some staining, and crossover completion
                    Attached Files

Comment

I am making baby steps with these. I got the tops on today and got them stained. I am really liking the white Birch.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I have my cabinets completed. I am just waiting for my last crossover components to come. Then I can make some more measurements and start listening.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Really excellent looking!
                          Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Nice work. I really like the subtle bevel on the baffle, didn't see that until you put the leather on. That adds some class to it.
                            You've been patient with the crossover. I admire that!
                            TomZ
                            Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                            *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

I finally got these to a point to do some listening. Below are some pics of where they are at.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X