Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnny5jz
    replied
    Initial listening impressions: I have listened to these for about 4 hours so far. As for bass, this is where these really surprised me. This 8" driver is amazing. I am super happy in that regard. The mids sound great, and are highly dependent on positioning, and my room. I am still working on that, but I have found that pointing these speakers straight out into the room works best. The highs so far also seem very good. I think I am specifically looking to find some artifact from the waveguide, but I really haven't. In my room, these really do help with some of my issues. I have an L-shaped room, so one speaker is next to the wall, and the other is not. That has caused a more diffused center image at times. These have a really good center image, and have much better instrument separation. With them pointed out into the room, the soundstage is actually wider than my other speakers with the XT25. The other thing I was going for with these is a speaker that sounds better at lower volumes. I listen a lot at night when my family is asleep or not wanting to hear my music. These are amazing at low volumes. My other 12" woofer speakers need some juice for good bass response. These do not.

Leave a comment:

• johnny5jz
    replied
    Here are some measurements. The first pic shows the schematic of where I am at now. I also added a quick measurement to verify that I am close to my calculations. It has been super windy, so I am unable to measure outside. I will get some off-axis measurements soon. The second pic is in room, both speakers playing, at listening position. The third is in room, both speakers playing, 2 twelve inch subs playing, at listening position.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• johnny5jz
    replied
    I finally got these to a point to do some listening. Below are some pics of where they are at.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Nice work. I really like the subtle bevel on the baffle, didn't see that until you put the leather on. That adds some class to it.
    You've been patient with the crossover. I admire that!
    TomZ

Leave a comment:

• gregrueff
    replied
    Really excellent looking!
    Thanks for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• johnny5jz
    replied
    I have my cabinets completed. I am just waiting for my last crossover components to come. Then I can make some more measurements and start listening.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• johnny5jz
    replied
    I am making baby steps with these. I got the tops on today and got them stained. I am really liking the white Birch.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• johnny5jz
    replied
    A little more progress last night. I got the back of one done. Then I just have the tops and bases to attach, some staining, and crossover completion
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• johnny5jz
    replied
    A little progress. I got the sides veneered. I got the bases started. I need to build the top and back panels yet. I have modeled about 6 different crossovers, and the best one so far is a slight tweak of the notched version above. I think with the Parts Express 12% off, I may get the components ordered.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• johnny5jz
    commented on 's reply
    I gave this a try to see if it would work. It created a weird knee in the response, and phase alignment was not very good.

• Billet
    replied
    That raw tweeter response in the waveguide looks to me like it would roll off nicely with a first order filter.

Leave a comment:

• Dirk
    replied
    Yep. That is indeed what I was curious about :-)

Leave a comment:

• johnny5jz
    replied
    The white piece is something I turned on the lathe afterwards and glues on. I missed it on the initial design.

Leave a comment:

• johnny5jz
    replied
    Is this what you are looking for?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Dirk
    replied
    I agree with Wolf.

I particularly don't like the exaggeration of the woofer's knee before roll-off. And your add-on LCR should only raise the cost of the speaker by about $5 for the cap & coil, right?

For my own curiosity & education, how is your interface between the tweeter faceplate and the WG? Any closeups? ​

Leave a comment:

Working...
X