I have a pair of the old RS28A-4 for the Modula MTM i never finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a pair of the old RS28A-4 for the Modula MTM i never finished

I have the cabinets almost done and was wondering can i use these old tweeters with some new RS180-8 7" along with a crossover i was going to use by Jeff Bagby that works with these tweeters.

Help people help YOU by providing some links?
    Modula MTM link (isn't this a D. Murphy design?) - I see it's a Jon Marsh design (from a later post)
    If so, how about a link to JB's XO?
    PE# for your woofer? (the Al vers. over paper, I presume? - and do they still make a shielded 180? - which you're probably NOT using?)
    Last edited by Chris Roemer; 10-30-2022, 10:23 AM.

Comment

I see now that the crossover i would have liked is using the shielded version so looks like i take a different route to use these old RS28A-4 Thanks
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by scudfly View Post
        I see now that the crossover i would have liked is using the shielded version so looks like i take a different route to use these old RS28A-4 Thanks
        Here is the original thread. https://techtalk.parts-express.com/f...180-mtm-design
        Follow the link in post 113 to see measurements that suggest the shielded and non-shielded are basically drop-in replacements.
        You can also probably get the original Continuum xo from Meniscus if you ask (either free or for a small fee), which uses the RS28A.

Comment

• a4eaudio
          a4eaudio commented
          Editing a comment
          Note to self: do not use the pound/number/hashtag symbol on this forum

• scudfly
          scudfly commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly what i was looking for and i remember this post by Jeff...Why would one use the Continuum x/o and not the one Jeff designed for the MTM? P.S.Thank you for the link

• a4eaudio
          a4eaudio commented
          Editing a comment
          I meant if you were really concerned about using the non-shielded version in the mtm the Continuums were designed with the non-shielded version. But based on that post I referenced it doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

You can definitely sell those old tweeters for what you paid for them if they're not beat up. Otherwise, here's Campbell/Holtz on substituting unshielded units.

http://speakerdesignworks.com/MiniStatements.html

Comment

• scudfly
          scudfly commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks djg those RS28A-4 have never been hooked up and would love to hear them.I used the 27 tdfc in my modula mtm tower with 1.7 cf and the crossover was designed by Jon Marsh with that being said i'd have to admit they sound pretty darn good but still want to hear these old tweeters.Been out of speaker building for quite awhile and would like to finish home theater with what i have laying around and already pre built

Here's an old article you might find interesting.

https://rjbaudio.com/RS180MTM/rs180-rs28-mtm.html

Comment

I say the Continuum deign is better than the RS180 MTM so if you are using the last RS28A's that's what I would build.
          John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

I didnt want to be THAT guy but i was going to suggest the very same thing. Ive never heard the MTM but I have 3 pairs of continuums. I cant imagine them sounding any better and certainly not substantially so. Would be a good use for those tweeters and i doubt very much youd have buyers remorse.

Comment

There's a reason Jeff's Continuums were one his most popular designs. If you decide to go that route: Many years ago Jeff e-mailed me the RS28A Continuum crossover schematic which I promised to keep private. I can e-mail you the schematic for your own personal use. I can imagine Jeff grinning from above knowing the Continuum is living beyond him. The original schematic was done in 2008 and updated in 2011. Now that's what I consider a legacy.
              The elephant in the room is the room

Comment

Originally posted by ernperkins View Post
                There's a reason Jeff's Continuums were one his most popular designs. If you decide to go that route: Many years ago Jeff e-mailed me the RS28A Continuum crossover schematic which I promised to keep private. I can e-mail you the schematic for your own personal use. I can imagine Jeff grinning from above knowing the Continuum is living beyond him. The original schematic was done in 2008 and updated in 2011. Now that's what I consider a legacy.
                I would appreciate it if you would share the schematics. It is solely for my own personal use. Thanks. MK

Comment

Or, just buy the Continuum kit minus tweeters from Meniscus, the owner of the intellectual property. That's what I did.

Comment

Originally posted by scnscn View Post
                    I would appreciate it if you would share the schematics. It is solely for my own personal use. Thanks. MK
                    Originally posted by djg View Post
                    Or, just buy the Continuum kit minus tweeters from Meniscus, the owner of the intellectual property. That's what I did.

^^^This.

That is what I did also. Woofer, schematic and xo parts. When the RS28A first became discontinued they actually had it listed without the tweeter. But even if they don't have it listed, just send them an email and they will work with you.​

Comment

I highly doubt at this point the folks at Meniscus would seek anything if you contact them for the schematics.

I have not built the Continuum so I can't speak for it. I have built the Modula and the Natalie P designs. While the Modula sounded great on good electronics and source material I found it to be very analytical and less forgiving on standard electronics and source material. For my budget and library the Natalie P was a better choice.

You are lucky enough to have the cornerstone drivers to be able to build systems by two of the great DIY designers to have come along in a long time.

Comment

• scudfly
                        scudfly commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I agree with you
                    Working...
                    X