No announcement yet.

The whole construction process of "Pit Vipers"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have prepared tools. What I need to do today is to remove all the screws on the side of the box. Drive wood chips and fill the pits. I will use a "mysterious powder" to fill it.

I have finished the disassembly of two screws, and now it is the third screw. I have verified this method, so I take pictures for you!

Click image for larger version

Name:	E64.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1493142

Name:	E65.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	1493141

Name:	E66.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1493140

Name:	E67.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1493143

Comment

More pictures

Name:	E69.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1493149

Name:	E70.jpg
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1493150

Name:	E71.jpg
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1493147

Name:	E72.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1493146

Attached Files

Comment

More pictures

Name:	E73.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1493152

Name:	E74.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1493153

Name:	E75.jpg
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1493154

Name:	E76.jpg
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1493155

Comment

I have completely removed all screws of the box. The next day I will simply polish it.

Name:	E77.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1493158

Name:	E78.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1493159

Name:	E79.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1493160

Comment

I have a question again!
            I used the above method to reinforce the splice of MDF,

Is it possible to avoid displacement at the plate splicing?

Name:	E80.png
Views:	359
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	1493163

Tom said in his video that a thin density board needs to be pasted at the panel to prevent displacement caused by expansion.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E81.png Views:	0 Size:	195.1 KB ID:	1493162

tomzarbo video connection address: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT9la2ZOZA0

​​

Comment

I have built quite a few pairs of butt-jointed veneered speakers. From mostly particle board and some MDF and plywood. I mostly use paper backed PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive) veneer.

I really haven't experienced ghosting or telegraphing of the butt-joints. I'm careful to not oversand and round over the edges. With PSA veneer, I apply 2-3 coats of shellac and sand.

Your materials may vary.

You can see my build threads if you search my profile here. I post a fair number of pictures.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to apply a layer of 1/8" hardboard if you have the glue and the time. Your wooden dowel plugs might swell over time. High VOC Weldwood type of glue would be my choice for this task.

Comment

I like to glue down a layer of 3mm on the sides where end grain MDF is showing and try to make the construction so that all the end grain exposed is on as few sides as possible, either top bottom back (usually) or the sides.

I've found the thicker the MDF the more you will see the joint later through the veneer just from swelling movement, especially with anything above a matte finish.
                Constructions: Dayton+SB 2-Way v1 | Dayton+SB 2-Way v2 | Fabios (SB Monitors)
                Refurbs: KLH 2 | Rega Ela Mk1

Comment

I'm glad, I'm back here again

Click image for larger version  Name:	E82.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.5 KB ID:	1493344
                  I put the woofer on and checked the back. I found that I should do some bevel trimming for the round hole on the back.

Maybe my mid-range box can't be operated after being pasted. So I first pasted the double-layer panels together, and then rounded and chamfered the back of the bass opening.​

Click image for larger version  Name:	E83.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.2 KB ID:	1493345

The two front baffles are stacked together. In order to avoid the problem of sideslip when pressing and drying after pasting glue, I am worried that the two layers of boards may slip and produce step joints when pasting directly. So I put a lot of screws on the back to make the two layers of boards locate, so there should be no movement.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E84.jpg Views:	0 Size:	32.9 KB ID:	1493341

The length of the screw is less than 36mm, so there is no need to worry about the problem of lock penetration.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E85.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.6 KB ID:	1493342

This is the drill bit and the screw. Let's make a counterbore for the screw. Later, we will use some wood powder to fill it.

Attached Files

Comment

Name:	E86.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1493351
                    After screwing, I separated the two boards and polished the holes between them.

Name:	E87.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1493352
                    I applied the strong woodworking glue, and afterwards I found that my glue was a little less.

Name:	E88.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	1493353

They have already been stacked together. Lock the screws, which were originally said to be pressed with the F clamp. Later, a simple method was used.

Name:	E89.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1493354

Found a large stone (very heavy!) There is also a box of wine and a carton equipped with screw accessories. The overall weight is still not small.

Name:	E90.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1493355

Put it on the floor. It should be enough to press it. In fact, it doesn't need too much force.

I have finished the panel of one box, and I have to finish the other.

The progress was very slow, mainly because I was too lazy. ​

Comment

Those are going to be solid! Very nice build log and I appreciate your attention to the construction. My builds are never this careful, but I don't have the patience.

Comment

Probably too late, but I have used this method for three projects to bond two layers of mdf. Holding up very well.

Name:	IMG_0022.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	662.5 KB
ID:	1493365

Comment

This build is lovely and inspiring. Paul I assume your jaw is on the floor watching such craftsmanship be put towards one of your designs.

I will add I can't say I've had issues with veneer expanding and contracting, and I live in a house with effectively no climate control, so my speakers get the brunt of the temperature and humidity changes.

Also 9sheng your thumbnail tells me you play guitar, am I right?

Comment

Name:	E91.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	1493409

Name:	E92.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	1493412

First, I designed the PCB circuit board of the frequency divider (this is only the high pitch part). I plan to make three independent PCBs to separate high, medium and low frequencies

Name:	E93.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1493410

Name:	E93.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1493414

Name:	E94.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1493416

The back of the woofer was trimmed
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by joshshetter View Post
                              Also 9sheng your thumbnail tells me you play guitar, am I right?
                              Thank you, you have extraordinary observation!

Comment

Continue to upload the latest photos

Name:	E96.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1493971

Name:	E97.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1493972