6.8ohm resistor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.8ohm resistor

My crossover calls for a 6.8 ohm resistor used to pad a midrange. I can only find 6.5 and 7.0 ohms. I'd like to stay with Mills. Will using a 6.5 instead be ok?

Technically 7 ohms is closer, only 3% off spec. Likely just fine. The tolerances on the drivers are wider than that.
    Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
    Wogg Music
    Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Understanding that it's more parts and therefore more money, the op could use two parallel 1.5 ohm resisters in series with a 6 ohm resistor to get to 6.75 ohms total. Closer to the original 6.8 ohms but would the difference be noticeable or is it "in the noise?"

Comment

Originally posted by NickA1976 View Post
        My crossover calls for a 6.8 ohm resistor used to pad a midrange. I can only find 6.5 and 7.0 ohms. I'd like to stay with Mills. Will using a 6.5 instead be ok?
        If this value was determined by a sim, odds are good that 6.8 ohms is not the exact value you need.

Comment

sure

Comment

Hmm, I'll try a 7ohm. The crossover was designed by Rick Craig from Selah Audio. I really appreciate the help here in the forum.

Comment

• billfitzmaurice
              billfitzmaurice commented
              Editing a comment
              Anything within +/-5% will do. Even accounting for the resistor tolerance you won't be able to hear any difference.

If you really want a 6.8 ohm, you can parallel two larger resistors. A WAG would be a 16 and a 12. There is some math involved to calculate the total I'd use a spreadsheet.

Comment

A 15ohm and 12.5ohm resistor in parallel gets you to 6.818 ohms

Comment

I put 4 Mills resistors in the cart last week but just couldn't pull the trigger. Back when they were $4.25 it was a little bit of a splurge. Now that they are $9+ I couldn't do it.

Comment

Working...
                X