No announcement yet.

Tube Amplifiers and your opinions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of times doing DIY projects are NOT about absolute perfection or bettering off the shelf products. It's for the love of designing and building stuff with our own minds, passion, and two hands with basic tools. That's why it's called DIY. We don't all own CNC machines or have the CSEE background or interest in developing our own DSP FIR filters, etc. Nothing wrong with any of that of course, but when some folks **** on threads like this... it shows their lack of DIY character IMO.
    Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

I like the idea of kits also. If PE were to sell all of the required parts separately and also bundle them into kits with upgrade options, that would be excellent IMO.

I would like a low wattage single ended triode amp, monoblocks preferably. Many tube enthusiasts have efficient horn speakers and do not need high wattage.

Also, please don't get hung up on numbers beside basic specs for component compatibility. I've heard some very nice sounding tube amps and I couldn't care less about their specifications

Comment

For required features, I would like to see them as simple as possible. Nothing digital for sure. Monoblocks or a stereo amp with line in and speaker out is all that is required, all else can be external. I would also prefer an all tube design with zero silicon if possible. A tube preamp and phono preamp would be nice also. I have heard a tube preamp with Class D power amp sound very good and save a lot of energy while doing so.

Comment

I think tubes are fun and interesting, but I would like to see high quality parts, especially the output transformers. Tube power amplifiers done correctly are pricey, and that hasn't been the PE wheel house, primarily focusing on lower cost products, but if PE intends to step it up, I applaud it.

Comment

• AEIOU
            AEIOU commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree with you.

Compared to tube amps I still prefer my Tripath class T (yes it is D) amp. It sounds wonderful.

Comment

Just wanted to add.. though I’m sure some of you already have - listen to a quality tube amp with some ‘60s vintage, 15” Tannoy Dual Concentrics in proper (big, back loaded) cabinets, or even some old Klipshhorn, LaScala or Cornwall.. Feed those with a quality analog system.. and you may never want anything else. It’s not nostalgia, it’s about immersive sound.
            “Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones - you are invited!”

Comment

• Billet
              Billet commented
              Editing a comment
              Right on! I would add an Altec Lansing 12" or 15" with a nice Altec horn and HF driver.

If I could afford something like 60 WPC Class A tube amps, yes I definitely would. . . if only.

Comment

Something like this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bob Carver wtih his Tube amp.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1492833

Comment

• AEIOU
                AEIOU commented
                Editing a comment
                That will keep you warm on a cold day!

Originally posted by djg View Post
              Something like this?

Ok, that's just silly
              Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

You need two.

https://www.bobcarvercorp.com/silver-seven

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                  Something like this?

Lots of power - but compromised sound quality. Great room heater though. If you’re going to use a push-pull, simple design and lower power will sound better than dozens of tubes..

“Something like this?” isn’t for my tastes.

Comment

To the OP - if you’re serious about offering a tube amp, go with a classic but simple push-pull design. Something with 30W per side will be fine, with outputs for 4 and 8 ohm. Some folks may like an integrated, some prefer speaker amp only. If you can discuss things with your designer and builder (I’m assuming sourced from China), don’t skimp on output transformer quality!

Comment

Originally posted by MisterD View Post
                      To the OP - if you’re serious about offering a tube amp, go with a classic but simple push-pull design. Something with 30W per side will be fine, with outputs for 4 and 8 ohm. Some folks may like an integrated, some prefer speaker amp only. If you can discuss things with your designer and builder (I’m assuming sourced from China), don’t skimp on output transformer quality!
                      More than likely Parts Express just wants to stock, sell, some of the cheap Chinese Crap that is readily available. Everyone knows that the really good stuff is expensive, maybe even very expensive.

Comment

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I've recently switched over to tube for my stereo music pleasure. I purchased a Chinese EL34 based 2x10w and I couldn't be happier. Single input, gain control only, and I absolutely love the sound it gives me.

As far as amps are concerned, simplicity is the key. I'd avoid the tube-preamp/transistor-power kind you currently offer, they're just a gimmick to a true tube enthusiast. I would instead suggest very simple low power single end designs, perhaps an EL34 and even a 300B version. A reasonably priced 300B would have tube folk flocking to your door!

From a merchandising standpoint, my new tube amp is the very reason I just spent over $1000 at PE for drivers to build new more efficient 3-ways, thread here. This could be a cross merchandising opportunity too, since you have a great selection of high efficiency drivers.​

Comment

Originally posted by Harpo View Post
                          I guess I'm in the minority here, but I've recently switched over to tube for my stereo music pleasure. I purchased a Chinese EL34 based 2x10w and I couldn't be happier. Single input, gain control only, and I absolutely love the sound it gives me.
                          As a DIYer do you feel any pull towards processing to get attractive "tube sound" in an understood and controlled manner? This isn't intended as a negative criticism given it would be a much less interesting hobby if we all derived fun from the same things. Just curious about the attraction of tubes for those that are wired up differently to me.

Comment

Working...
                          X