Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use SIgma Studio

Greetings-

Im looking to do a massive undertaking for my theater. All my speakers are going to be 3way full range speakers that actually extend to 15hz. The problem im having is finding a proper DSP/XO system. Why active, well the Woofer is a famous cheap build VBSS- it will use the same tune which XO at 250 hz where ill cross to a midwoofer. I looked in to Dayton DSP-408, but its limited and wont full apply the tune I need. And I really suck at passive XO- I cant for the life of me get anything decent ever, I have $500+ in xo parts im trying to unload lol.

The only reasonably priced DSP I found was the Dayton Audio DSPB-K DSP Kernel Board and DSPB-KE Kernel DSP Expansion 2-In 3-Out- PERFECT- I can use the .1 as intended.
    Im new to this- and the cost makes it impossible to ignore. They do provide a "basic" project, but im wondering if others have used it with success, if its a viable option etc.

Plan is to use 15hz vbss tune like normal- that XO to a PA midwoofer and that'll xo to a CD. Then use REW to make sure drivers are all behaving and then correct a bit to make it flatter. Ill also have my AVR's ability to dsp which uses Audyssey XT32 so realistically I can add some DSP in board and some via avr to try and not over load the boards.

All the PA460 will have a dedicated amp channel via one my FP clones- and then I have a 12 channel 30w per channel amp and a 6 channel 60w per channel amp for CDS and Midwoofers which should be more then ample seeing as the midwoofer will be xo around 250+HZ

Is the "project" offered by PE 3way XO DSPBE-K_KE sufficent enough?

Also budget limits me other wise id use something like the DC2496-. The DSP-408 just lacks way to much it seems- shame price is pretty decent.

BTH created a rather robust DSP solution. Long thread but you might find it useful. And its free minus the PC to run it...
    https://www.avsforum.com/threads/diy...ution.2626985/

Comment

Yeah hi work is awesome but meant for hardware thats really expensive.

Comment

I've used SigmaStudio quite a bit and definitely prefer it over products (e.g. miniDSP) that provide their own interface. It will take more time and effort to become proficient at SigmaStudio but it's much more flexible and powerful. As an analogy think of the miniDSP interface as Notepad and SigmaStudio as Word. Many people are fine with Notepad, but others want the power of Word. YMMV.

There is a wealth of information about SigmaStudio:

1. The Analog Devices Wiki (LINK). You find can documentation, examples and tutorials.
        2. The Analog Devices Engineer Zone (LINK). This is a forum you join. Thousands of adau1701 posts that you can search for your particular question. Or post a question.
        3. On the Web. Several people have created SigmaStudio tutorials, here's an example (LINK). Over at diyaudio.com there are many threads about the DSP products in the "Digital Line Level" sub-forum. For example, there are two pages of threads that have ADAU1701 in the title.

So in the end it comes down to how much time and effort you want to invest. A product like the miniDSP is certainly easier and quicker to learn. But it you want the full power and flexibility SigmaStudio is the way to go.
        The elephant in the room is the room

Comment

I was able to get a decent 2-way xover working in a couple hours, and then was able to tune and experiment with settings until I found a nice setup that worked for the two drivers I have. A full-range 3-way system is planned, after I do a few more learning projects with these two drivers in various cabinets.

The KABD-230 (which I'm using) has an example project (that I'm not using) that shows how to make a 2-way mono speaker. The programing guide for the KABD line is pretty good:
          https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs...lifiers-v1.pdf

Comment

Working...
          X