Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slotted port size

Hi,
    I'm building floor standing speaker with a volume of 1.5 cu ft (8 3/4W x 28H x 10 5/8D)and using RS225-8 for woofer and RST28F-4 for tweeter tuned to 32hz. The recommended port size is 2" dia. by 4 inch length but I'm using a slotted port instead. I need help to compute for the slotted port dimensions. Thanks in advance for any help.​​

I'll assume you're new (since I don't recognize you), so I hope those are your INside cab dimensions.
    For ME (personally), I'd use a 3" "Precision Port" w/a length of 12" (for a 30Hz tuning), and run it out the back (probably using an elbow).

Typically, for YOUR box, you'd put the slot at the bottom and make the slot the interior width (I'll assume 8.75"), and probably an inch high. That gives you more area than even a 3" round port (for me, a 2" port w/an RS225 is too small). Since the area is more, it has to even be a bit longer. I'd go 16" (which means it'll need a fold or bend). For a 32Hz tuning, it'd be 13" long.

You can model this yourself in WinISD ( www.linearteam.org ) by clicking the "shape" icon on the "port" tab.​

Comment

Originally posted by zrei23 View Post
      Hi,
      I'm building floor standing speaker with a volume of 1.5 cu ft (8 3/4W x 28H x 10 5/8D)and using RS225-8 for woofer and RST28F-4 for tweeter tuned to 32hz. The recommended port size is 2" dia. by 4 inch length but I'm using a slotted port instead. I need help to compute for the slotted port dimensions. Thanks in advance for any help.​​
      It is the enclosed volume of air that matters in this. So it begins with calculating the internal volume of the box. Then subtract the space occupied by the rear of the drivers, the internal bracing, the port, the crossover, etc.
      "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
      of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
      - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
      A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
      (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

Working...
      X