Need advise on pre-amp/amp setup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advise on pre-amp/amp setup.

I am designing/making a floating center channel shelf. The center channel is a SLA design from Bill Fitzmaurice. I am also making a portion of the cabinet a 8" subwoofer.
    I would like to make sure that i have selected the correct bass for the cabinet space.
    I will be attaching 4 satellite speakers to this setup.

Most important is the amp setup.
    1. For the center channel and sub -- Sure Electronics AA-AB32971 2x100W Class D
    Satellite speakers -------------------- Dayton Audio KABD-430 4 x 30W All-in-one Amplifier Board with DSP not sure how to connect four RCA to this. so 2 Sure Electronics AA-AB32165 2x25W.

How to get the TV signal to these amps??
    Would this work? ATNEDCVH 5.1 Surround Sound Decoder Separator Converter on amazon.
    I was unable to find any boards with ARC HDMI or opitical input 5.1.

I have attached the cabinet design and here a list of the drivers for your info.
    Center channel.
    6 - Godwood GW-4028s
    6 - HIVI T20 8
    ​Sub
    1 - Goldwood GW-408D

Click image for larger version  Name:	bas bos new.jpg Views:	0 Size:	31.1 KB ID:	1493315

Attached Files

What you're suggesting will work but it may be overly complex, particularly dealing with all those volume controls.

If the tv has ARC, it might make more sense to get an inexpensive 5.1 home theater receiver and a small plate amp for the sub. That will give you a single control for all (with a remote) and additional inputs.

Comment

Originally posted by preedy View Post
      I am also making a portion of the cabinet a 8" subwoofer.
      Don't do that. For details why and what you should do post on my forum.
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by Harpo View Post
        What you're suggesting will work but it may be overly complex, particularly dealing with all those volume controls.

If the tv has ARC, it might make more sense to get an inexpensive 5.1 home theater receiver and a small plate amp for the sub. That will give you a single control for all (with a remote) and additional inputs.
        Thank you for your response, But the Idea is to no have a visible amp, I am trying to make this look like furniture, minus speakers,,,,,

Aaaah I realized that in my drawing the left and right side of the cabinet is open, but those areas will be enclosed when built.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	center look.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1493337

Comment

You can do box design with WinISD (from www.linearteam.org ), and you SHOULD (besides, it's fun).
          Your 4"ers can reach lower than your 8" "sub" (WinISD will show you this).
          Also, I wouldn't call an 8" driver that only has 3.5mm of Xmax (and can barely reach 60Hz) a "sub".

Comment

Originally posted by preedy View Post
            Click image for larger version  Name:	center look.jpg Views:	35 Size:	88.0 KB ID:	1493337
            Your front center channel loudspeaker design (depiction quoted above) is creating a cavity in front of the driver baffle, and there will be cavity resonances associated with that (quarter wavelength fundamentals and associated harmonics) and the resonances will add some delay to direct radiation, and will constructively and destructively interfere with the direct radiation in the sum. The associated frequencies will be somewhat distributed due to the varied depth.

If you want a curved front center channel loudspeaker design, look at building a CBT array (maybe a scaled down version of Monte Kay's CBT front center channel loudspeaker, shown below), which is convex instead of concave, and so does not have the cavity that would create the cavity resonances. To make your curved front center channel loudspeaker look like a curved console table, add a top panel that aligns with the front baffle without overhang. Add a bottom panel and bracing to reduce panel resonance, and stuff the unused cavity. Add some grill cloth to the front to hide the drivers.

http://mfk-projects.com/Home_Theatre...r_speaker.html

Click image for larger version  Name:	front%20view.jpg Views:	0 Size:	130.9 KB ID:	1493349
            Last edited by JRT; 12-02-2022, 11:42 AM.
            "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
            of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
            - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
            A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
            (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

Below is a "curved console table" which has a shape that might be useful in this. If you use a "french cleat" to mount that to a wall (a technique often used in mounting well-installed kitchen cabinets), then you can eliminate the two legs adjacent to the wall. leaving only the one front leg rigidly supporting the front weight of the cabinet. And with the cabinet attached to the wall, that remaining front leg may be angled to attach to the wall at the bottom of the leg at the top of the baseboard moulding, eliminating the need for the bottom shelf and the structural support that shelf otherwise provides to free standing legs.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	Granvia+48%27%27+Console+Table.jpg Views:	0 Size:	120.5 KB ID:	1493361
              "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
              of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
              - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
              A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
              (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

Originally posted by JRT View Post
                Your front center channel loudspeaker design (depiction quoted above) is creating a cavity in front of the driver baffle, and there will be cavity resonances associated with that (quarter wavelength fundamentals and associated harmonics)
                That's why my design doesn't look like that, but like the picture in the first post. It has no audible or measurable cavity resonances. If it did it never would have made it past the prototype stage.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
                www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Put a smoked glass front on the credenza underneath all this. Get some proper AV equipment and put it behind the smoked glass. These little Class D things are fun, but in my opinion belong in your PC 2.1 system, not a living room.

Comment

Working...
                  X