Usher 8955a woofer are excellent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usher 8955a woofer are excellent

I'm using these woofers up to around 400HZ crossed over LR2 to an Eton 4-300 midrange, and Visaton MHT12 tweeter. Right now the woofers are sealed in about 60L, and the bass is deep and tight. I've used Eton 8-472, Dayton RS225, SEAS W22, have heard Seas L22, and I would say the Usher 8955a is a top contender. This, after I was whining a bit about the TS specs. I'll try it ported in a few days and see how my impressions change. Forgot to mention they are very smooth in the 300-400 region, which makes them pleasant to listen to.

Jed

Re: Usher 8955a woofer are excellent

You're using two per side? Keep us posted!

Comment

Bumping for an update :eek:

If being used as a woofer in a 3way setup (350hz at most, and down), what is the optimal enclosure size for the 8955A in a sealed OR ported setup?

I ask because my project includes 2 per side in a WMTMW and I'd like to get a grasp on which type (sealed/ported) would be best suited as well as how much volume I'm going to require.
      I don't think I should need a subwoofer with 4 of the 8955a's so one is not planned for use with this setup for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for any advice

Comment

dude, this thread is more than two years old, how'd you even find it? haha
        I am trolling you.

Comment

Vapor Audio

Comment

Originally posted by MSaturn View Post
            dude, this thread is more than two years old, how'd you even find it? haha

alright...i admit it...i searched :D

I figured, why not? heh

I modeled this driver in WinISD, but hey...its WinISD...

2 drivers sealed, 40.8 liters, F3 around 58hz
            2 drivers vented, 73.2 liters, F3 around 36hz

Seems pretty small.

Comment

well it cought my eye because I was thinking of these for my next project. I wanted the scanspeak, but just dont think I can afford them...
              Mark

http://www.diy-ny.com

Comment

I like 2 8955A's in 110 liters tuned to 27 Hz. f3 is 30 Hz.

If cost is a concern, keep in mind the RS225-8's will equal the modeled woofer performance of the Usher's.
                -Although I sure like the look of the Usher's.

C
                Curt's Speaker Design Works

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
                - Aristotle

Comment

Thanks for the response Curt. You know, I dont mind the appearance at all either. For as much as people say their ugly, I think they look pretty cool.

110 liters sounds more like it. I'm quite sure my enclosure will be closer to that volume anyway. Good stuff.

As for the price, even the 8955A drivers are a bit pricey, but fortunately some very kind board members gave me good deals on them and I'm very appreciative. Ive been wanting to use these for some time now! Are the Dayton's on par even considering HD? The 8955a should be pretty killer in that department, especially when used as the woofer in a 3way. If the distortion performance of the 8945a is representative of the 8955a, they would be extremely hard to beat.

Scans are the next tier up on the salary chart, so probably not for a few years :D

Comment

Originally posted by curt_c View Post
                    I like 2 8955A's in 110 liters tuned to 27 Hz. f3 is 30 Hz.

If cost is a concern, keep in mind the RS225-8's will equal the modeled woofer performance of the Usher's.
                    -Although I sure like the look of the Usher's.

C
                    Curt, lets tune to 22hz. f3 goes up just a bit, f6 goes down just a bit, and things should tighten up a bit don't you think?

Comment

Originally posted by maynardg View Post
                      Curt, lets tune to 22hz. f3 goes up just a bit, f6 goes down just a bit, and things should tighten up a bit don't you think?
                      Yep! I like that one too! Maybe I should have paid a little more attention before I posted before. Both tunings have the same f6 of about 24 Hz. The lower tuning will sound more 'taut' and perhaps allow a bit closer wall placement if desired.

C
                      Curt's Speaker Design Works

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
                      - Aristotle

Comment

Sounds good gentleman. Thank you.

Comment

I like the look as well. The project I am working on now calls for a couple of scan speak 21W/8555-01, but they are about twice the price of the ushers
                          Mark

http://www.diy-ny.com

Comment

Usher 8955A does indeed look like a very good woofer, frequency response looks similar to Peerless 830884 however the cone breakup is starting at a lower frequency. Likely not very usable in a two-way, but for the bottom end of a three-way these will work great.

The downside I see to this driver is the sensitivity. It is a bit low for an 8". I honestly think the low sensitivity is a bit odd considering the size of the motor. However it does have a very low Fs so that may be the trade-off. I'd really like this driver if it were a few more dB sensitive, so when using one of these you could still end up with a 85dB system after some BSC.

Using two of them in a large vented cabinet as above seems the best application for this driver. It will definitely play some mean bass!
                            "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                            exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

High efficiency, low frequency extension, small box size - you can have two but not three. Hoffman's iron law - grossly paraphrased.

Comment

Working...
                              X