HPSA-500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HPSA-500

Has anyone had problems with the auto shut off being a bit too sensitive? It seems as though it
    shuts off quite frequently after about 5 minutes or sometimes less of quiet passages in movies or less
    than bassy music, played at lower levels. Is there any way to adjust it at all? or should I just
    increase my "sub-out" level on my receiver and reduce the gain on the amp?

Thanks for the suggestions.

-JustinG
    ----------------------------------
    Gear:
    Samsung PN50A650
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    Hafler DH-200
    AC130MKII/BG NEO3PDR Two-Ways
    RS390HF-4 w/ HPSA500

Re: HPSA-500

> Has anyone had problems with the auto shut
    > off being a bit too sensitive? It seems as
    > though it
    > shuts off quite frequently after about 5
    > minutes or sometimes less of quiet passages
    > in movies or less
    > than bassy music, played at lower levels. Is
    > there any way to adjust it at all? or should
    > I just
    > increase my "sub-out" level on my
    > receiver and reduce the gain on the amp?

> Thanks for the suggestions.

> -JustinG
    Justin I have had that problem on a lot of auto on circuits. The sa240 does it also. Crank the sub-out level up and lower the amp gain. That has worked for me. The worst case is just leave it turned on don't use auto. I don't know if that amp has that option but a lot do . It does not cost a lot of extra electricity If you do that with the sa240 plate amp . I don't know with your amp if that is true, but a lot of auto on circuits are the same design.

Comment

That is what I thought I was going to have to do. The amp doesn't have an "always on" selection, just off and auto. Thanks for the confirmation.
      Gear:
      Samsung PN50A650
      Yamaha RX-V2500
      Hafler DH-200
      RS390HF-4 w/ HPSA500

Comment

> That is what I thought I was going to have
        > to do. The amp doesn't have an "always
        > on" selection, just off and auto.
        > Thanks for the confirmation.
        Justin keep an eye on it once you try that. You might be still under warranty these circuits can break a lot. Phil

Comment

> Justin keep an eye on it once you try that.
          > You might be still under warranty these
          > circuits can break a lot. Phil

I might give PE a call tonight then, I think I already have the output at +7.0 dB on my Yammy.
          Thanks for your advice Phil.
          -Justin
          Gear:
          Samsung PN50A650
          Yamaha RX-V2500
          Hafler DH-200
          RS390HF-4 w/ HPSA500

Comment

Has anyone found a solution to the not-sensitive-enough auto-on or are any schematics available? I'd be surprised if anyone handed over schematics, but my HPSA500 is opened up right now anyways to modify the high pass filter. Again - I'd be surprised if there were any revelations, but I'm hoping! Since I am using an external crossover and crossing over pretty low, the amp turns off WAY too often!

Eric

Comment

I don't know enough to offer any real assistance, but I have the same auto-on concern on my two amps. Hoping you get some replies offering a fix
              Paul

The "SB's" build page
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-4-(pic-heavy)

Comment

Fix Found.

After opening up the amp and probing around a bit with an oscilloscope, the auto-on functionality is provided by a single channel of a TL074 op amp on the main amplifier PCB (not the pre-amp). The inverting input is connected to a negative peak detector which is supplied by the preamp PCB, and the non inverting input is supplied with a voltage reference to compare this peak value to. From the factory, the circuit turns on the amplifier at -5.1V, and some hysteresis is used to let the amplifier stay on until that voltage falls back through -4.1V. The pin on the op amp tied to the voltage reference is pin 5. From pin 5, there is a 20k resistor to ground (R38), 43k resistor to -15V (R39), and a 390k resistor (R37) to that opamps output (pin 7) which provides the hysteresis. By changing R39 to 100k, the voltage levels can be changed to -3.01V to turn on/-1.78V to turn off, or with a 150k the levels can be set to -2.33V on/-1.03V off. By increasing the hysteresis to >1V, the amp should stay on longer through quiet passages, and by decreasing the threshold, the amp should turn on at an input of <1/2 the original voltage.
                Attached Files

Comment

This is some great information. Are you going to make this "update" to your amp? If so, please report back with the results. Since I have little electrical knowledge (I can change out a resistor, but wouldn't begin to be able to trace a circuit or test), I don't want to modify my amp(s) until someone with your experience level says it works and has no ill-effects on the rest of the amps performance.

Thanks for posting!
                  Paul

The "SB's" build page

Comment

I plan on implementing the change tonight with a 200k resistor (on at -1.97V, off at -0.63V), and I'll post my results following some time for testing. This should make the auto-on much more sensitive and require long periods of "silence" before it'll shut off again.

Comment

Any update after the changes(s)?
                      Paul

The "SB's" build page

Comment

Seems to be working great so far. I haven't noticed the amp turning off in quiet passages, and doesn't take as much to turn it on either. I currently have a MiniDSP before the sub, so it is only getting from 35Hz down with a 24db/octave slope. For normal TV content, there isn't much that the sub handles - hence the auto-off being such an annoyance! I'd suggest going to a 180k or 200k - 150k might not give you as much improvement as what you'd like. Hope this helps someone out there!

Eric

Comment

This is great, thanks for posting your results. Sounds like a nice improvement!
                          Paul

The "SB's" build page

Comment

Working...
                          X