When you need just a little more than 18 inches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you need just a little more than 18 inches

Whoa, that sounded bad too. Anyhoo, when 18 inches of pulsating woofer isn't enough and you want just a bit more, try out this:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...TOKEN=21288308

I just saw this 21" B&C piece of work. Interesting but the sticker shock claimed me. I like it. Set woofers on stun, Mr. Sulu.

shawn
    My favorite woofer is a Labrador retriever.

Re: When you need just a little more than 18 inches

Sorry, but unless you've got money to burn (and I certainly don't), and an enormous space to fill with sound (again, not me) that thing is just silly. I guess for serious pro sound apps, or for that "look at me" factor, there is something to be said for it, but at some point the law of diminishing returns has to set in, and almost 8 hundee is the signal of that for me....

Bet it's fun to blow windows out with, though.....:D

Mark
    You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

I noticed that monster today, too... 6" voice coil! :eek: A cone that large moving anywheres close to 15mm one-way has got to move some air. Only thing not to love is the sticker price and the monstrous ported box it would require.
      | there is no spoon... |

Comment

COST: 1xB&C 21" = 5xRS15"

Cool but not worth the $$$, IMHO

Comment

Buy 5 Dayton rss390hf-4 same price. wall mount IB them all 1 for each sat. Just make sure that you had a concrete guy pour the walls or you really will rock the house. this way you get 60 inches not 21

Comment

Re: When you need just a little more than 18 inches how about this.

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=304

Fostex 31.5 inch super woofer at 2500 plus. looks like the best IB sub ever. you can use a small amp 256watts gets it to play to 120db at 18hz! you better pour some concrete!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark65 View Post
              I guess for serious pro sound apps, or for that "look at me" factor, there is something to be said for it

Mark
              The best $3k+ pro-touring subs are horns loaded with 12s and 15s. A few 21 loaded cabs exist, but most pros know enough to avoid them.
              www.billfitzmaurice.com
              www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

To take your example to the extreme, you could also buy 50 of the NHT 10" woofers here. That's $20*50 - %20 discount for orders over $1000 = $800. I don't know what you would DO with 50 of them though...

Comment

...you use a bunch of smaller woofers. Four of their 15's horn loaded would stomp it. In SPL, extension, and price. Probably for the same total cubic footage. And I don't believe it for a second when they say it's suitable for horns. Maybe for some esoteric home system embedded in the concrete foundation that's never played that loud - but not for pro or cinema. Load that on a long enough air column to be efficient and you'll rip that big cone to shreds before you ever hit x-max.

As for any normal applications, a pair of 18's or 4 15's of most any variety are way cheaper and easier to work with - and much easier to justify to anyone who has to approve the budget.

Comment

I have 1 15 inch dayton as an IB and 2 12 inch nht 1259's sealed. I have tons of bass. I would like to see and hear a home theater with 5 dayton 15 inch IB's.

Comment

Originally posted by philiparcario View Post
                      I have 1 15 inch dayton as an IB and 2 12 inch nht 1259's sealed. I have tons of bass. I would like to see and hear a home theater with 5 dayton 15 inch IB's.
                      What size enclosure do you have your 1259's in? How do you have your crossovers set to blend the 12's and the 15?

Comment

Originally posted by philiparcario View Post
                        Buy 5 Dayton rss390hf-4 same price. wall mount IB them all 1 for each sat. Just make sure that you had a concrete guy pour the walls or you really will rock the house. this way you get 60 inches not 21
                        Ummmm.....you know the math doesn't quite work like this, right?
                        Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                          Yeah... sheesh.. everybody knows that 15 x 5 = 75, not 60... :p :D ;)
                          | there is no spoon... |

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                            I know pie r squared is the cone area for displacement ,but is sounded good.

Comment

Originally posted by depthsounder View Post
                              What size enclosure do you have your 1259's in? How do you have your crossovers set to blend the 12's and the 15?
                              yes I have the two 1259's in sealed 3 cu ft boxes one for the left front and 1 for the right front. I feed a reckhorn a-400 sub amp with a built in crossover. I feed it from my processor. all sound under 100hz goes to the reckhorn. The reckhorn sends all sound from 50hz to 100hz to a nad 2400 thx amp. all sound under 50hz goes to the dayton rss390hf-4 so 50 to 100 hz is sent to the 1259's 100hz and up to the sats and all under 50 hz to the dayton. all slopes are 24db or 4th order. here is a link for the reckhorn

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=A400

order info

http://www.creativesound.ca/pdf/A-400manual.pdf

manual

also pictures of the 2 1259's and the dayton rss390hf-4
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X