DIY speaker contest ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY speaker contest ?

I have a couple questions about the system used in the contest. Are they using a pre-amp ? If so , does it have bass and treble and are we allowed to use it ?

Re: DIY speaker contest ?

Originally posted by Les Hudson View Post
    I have a couple questions about the system used in the contest. Are they using a pre-amp ? If so , does it have bass and treble and are we allowed to use it ?
    Usually it's an amp, and a CD player, no Pre-amp. Everything is EQ'd to flat if there are tone controls. This is to maintain consistency among projects.
    Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I apologize for not posting more on the Dayton DIY. It has not been my intention to keep everyone in the dark. I've wanted to keep the www.daytondiy.com website the information hub so that everyone receives the same information, from the same source.

Here is the list of components that I have selected for use in the Dayton DIY:

One AudioSource AMP310 Amplifier

One Audio PRE-ONE/A

One Pioneer DV-410V-K CD/DVD Player

All interconnect cables will be furnished by Dayton Audio.

Tone knob adjustments or equalization will not be possible in this contest format. With the amount of project submissions we have already received, there simply would not be enough time.

If there are any reasonable complaints with this setup, I'd like to hear them so that we can do what we can to make this enjoyable to all attendees. We have also tried to keep this first Dayton DIY as simple as possible. Jeff Bagby certainly has a very good argument, in that the larger the speaker, the deeper the bass. I will ask the judges to keep in mind the speaker size limitations when judging bass extension. There is no perfect solution that will sit right with everyone, so we tried to pick the lesser of all evils. We weren't sure, when setting the Dayton DIY in motion, that the response would be as strong as it's been. :D

Joseph D'Appolito. is working on the source material for us. As soon as we have the details, the information will be made known.

As soon as I have the room measurements, they will be posted on the www.daytondiy.com site.

Sorry if I haven't addressed all questions and concerns.
      Last edited by [email protected]; 06-29-2008, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post

Here is the list of components that I have selected for use in the Dayton DIY:

One AudioSource AMP310 Amplifier

One Audio PRE-ONE/A
          Ugh. You can't be serious. :(

Comment

One quick question. I purchased some 8" buyouts a while back from Elemental Designs that were being sold for $5 each from an overproduced OEM stock. Do I count these as $5 when figuring in the total (less than $200)? Or, do I find out what they would have sold for as a non-buyout?

I guess the same goes for all buyouts.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by envisionelec View Post
              Your suggestions please.

Comment

Originally posted by christianb View Post
                One quick question. I purchased some 8" buyouts a while back from Elemental Designs that were being sold for $5 each from an overproduced OEM stock. Do I count these as $5 when figuring in the total (less than $200)? Or, do I find out what they would have sold for as a non-buyout?

I guess the same goes for all buyouts.

Thanks.
                If they were sold on the market as a raw driver, use that price. If not, use the buyout price.

Comment

Originally posted by ajinfla View Post
                  Ok, I searched.
                  Could someone please tell me:

What amplifier(s) are to be used for the DIY event?
                  Preamp?
                  What size room(s)?
                  How far into the room can the speakers be positioned?
                  How far from the front wall will the judges be sitting?
                  Are active designs allowed in the open class? If so, are there outlets on the front wall or will extension cords from say, a power strip, be available?

Apologies if any or all of this has already been addressed.
                  Thanks.

-AJ
                  Mike, thank you very much. You have answered most of my questions above from another thread. It seems like I will be able to use an active bass section driven off the 2nd output of the pre - good choice, thanks ;). And that amplifier should be stable below 8ohms. I have several Audiosource amps and they will all drive 4 ohm nominal just fine.
                  Could you please tell me how far into the room the speakers can be positioned? A dipole will be a mess if positioned too close to the front wall, hence my question.
                  BTW, should I bring my own IC's for the active woofer section and extension cords in case the outlets are far away? Thanks again.

-AJ

Comment

I'll see your "can't be serious" and raise you a "you can't be positive".

:p

Comment

Not to be a jerk, but if the PE guys are doing such a bad job you can always set up your own DIY to show us how its done.

Doug
                      http://dpeterson.home.mchsi.com/

I just checked and my "give a damn" is broke :D

Comment

My 2c....

Your suggestions please.
                        Personally, Mike, the 5.3 monoblox worked well several times over at the Dayton DIY, and you still stock those.

I didn't like the Behr A500 at all; just some hiss issues the way we had them hooked up.

Anything QSC will work as well. We had the RMX950 at the first Dayton event, IIRC, and it suited well.

A lot of people recommend the Europower amps from Behringer quite highly.

When it all comes down to it, silent operation, 200W per channel on tap, and stability into 4 ohms will suffice for the application.
                        My 2c,
                        Wolf
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                        https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by DougP View Post
                          Not to be a jerk, but if the PE guys are doing such a bad job you can always set up your own DIY to show us how its done.

Doug
                          My comments make no reference to setting up my own DIY. I have no interest in doing such, but I believe the choice in amplifiers leaves much to be desired. Pretty chassis and slightly uncommon names do not make well designed amplifiers. Ever opened one up - scratch that...you probably wouldn't know what to look for. :rolleyes:

Comment

Your suggestions please.
                            I have an Adcom GFA-545II I can loan. I personally wouldn't use anything less than 500W per channel if it was my event. You do remember Bob Cordell's presentations on RMS vs peak power, don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by theinventor View Post
                              I'll see your "can't be serious" and raise you a "you can't be positive".

:p
                              Yes. Positive.

Comment

Working...
                              X