Amplifier/wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amplifier/wiring

If I'm just building one of the Magna *** Laude towers and I'm going to be getting a Behringer EP1500 should I wire them mono or just use one channel? I'm thinking mono, but I'm a novice.

Re: Amplifier/wiring

the behringer ep 1500 in mono has 900 watts rms the magna *** laude handles 200 to 250 per speaker mono wire is total over kill and if the amp is cranked to the max it will kill the speaker. use 1 channel and save money to build a second speaker. or get a smaller amp. a used nad 2400thx will do fine if you bridge it to mono. this seller is good

Comment

If I choose to use just 1 channel wouldn't I only get the left or right portion of the music? Or does 1 channel play the same music as the 2nd channel? Know what I'm trying to say?

Comment

Originally posted by scowentz View Post
        If I choose to use just 1 channel wouldn't I only get the left or right portion of the music? Or does 1 channel play the same music as the 2nd channel? Know what I'm trying to say?
        If you are going to input two channels, you should bridge it. Otherwise, as you say you'll only get Left or Right. By bridging the signals will be combined.

I wouldn't be that concerned with the amp blowing up your speaker as long as you stay reasonable in how you use it.

I'm sure I'm not the only one curious what you plan to do with this rig. If you give some more information, maybe you'll get some useful suggestions.

bb

Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything.
        - Blaise Pascal (1623 - 1662)

Comment

Bridging the amp will NOT combine the seperate channels. Using a Y-adapter will. Then you can bridge if desired, but as Philip said, you'd have enought power to be dangerous.

I too am curious as to your plans with one speaker, unless this is you:
          Building it big and playing it loud! Because we all know size really does matter, and a little over compensation never hurt anyone. :eek:

Comment

Well I mean, I'm not going to do anything complicated. I have one MCL tower for now. When I get the time/money I may make another MCL tower. With that said, what do you think would be a better amplifier in terms of what I'm going to use it for and it's reputation as an amp. The Behringer AP1500 or QSC GX3. I can get the Behringer amp online for $250 shipped, but the QSC is going to be $300. Also, if I do get the amp, how do you set the gain so I don't overpower the speakers?

EDIT: per Todd G. I will use a Y adapter

Comment

Originally posted by scowentz View Post
              Also, if I do get the amp, how do you set the gain so I don't overpower the speakers?
              Speaker(s) give adequate warning when they're being over driven. Proper adjustment of the knob shown below should provide adequate protection. Selection of a smaller number is suggested.

And I've got to say that in years of being on this forum I've never heard of anyone building 1 speaker, but assuming you mix the stereo signal with a splitter, or listen to old Beatles and other mono recordings, your plan will work fine.
              Building it big and playing it loud! Because we all know size really does matter, and a little over compensation never hurt anyone. :eek:

Comment

I'd save the money on the big amp and build two speakers as soon as fiscally possible. Two speakers will bump up your output by 3dB, which is the same as doubling your amplifier power.

Put $150 in your pocket and go hunting the pawn shops some Saturday. I bet you'll find plenty of power for a lot less money.

Comment

Haha ok, thanks for the help fellas. I used my dad's Yamaha HTR-6030 to test the speakers last night, and it sounded pretty good for just a small amount of power. I will do what you recommend and begin building the second tower ASAP. There are not a lot of pawn shops where I live, so I'm probably just going to get the QSC GX3. Is it reputable or is it crap?

Comment

As far as i know the GX series is just a cheapened version of the RMX series, but i haven't seen schematics or internal photos to confirm this. That's a random rumor i've read a few times from different people.

In my opinion, the EP1500/EP2500 series amps are amazing values. Very solid/dependable amps. They are basically copies of the QSC RMX series, and just as well built.
                    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas A. Edison

Comment

The Behringer amps are a cheapened version of the RMX that is already proven to work well. There isn't as much data on the new GX amps yet. When in doubt go with what you know.

Comment

Working...
                      X