Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14' of PVC...

is just too darn much.

I wanted to try to build a round speaker 8" in diameter using PVC for the box. The baffle would be 6.5 inches. Slice a strip 6.5" out of the middle, epoxy a flat baffle in and off we go. Had the design all figured out.

That is, until I tried to find some 8" PVC. The two big hardware chains top out at 6", and the wholesalers don't want to split a pipe, which I understand. But 14' of PVC? Wow. First, it cost a fairly substanial chunk of money. Second, since both the "boxes" would only use, at the max, three feet, I would have 11 feet of PVC I'd have to do something with.

I also looked for some sonotube, but the big chains seem to be carrying some new type of stuff that is way to thin to serve as a cabinet.

Anyone have any idea of what else I might use for a round enclosure, about eight inches in diameter that would be ridgid enough for a speaker enclosure?

Re: 14' of PVC...

A - laminate up 2 or 3 layers of sonotube to make what you need
    B - check out any water/drain crews working around and ask them for offcuts of PVC
    C - and I have some of this working, thin bendy plywood can acheive almost any radius by soaking in a spray of veneer softener, I have some down to a 5" diameter now, just for grins. Laminate that with gorilla glue, etc. - 3 or 4 thicknesses and it's hard stuff to beat, or bend!
    When you run make sure you run,
    to something not away from, cause lies don't need an aeroplane to chase you anywhere.

Comment

buy two thin tubes from home depot lowes etc one size bigger then the other. fill the gap with great stuff foam cap each end with a mdf ring . it would be lite and rigid low cost if you can cut the mdf rings with a jasper rig or a router buddy.

http://greatstuff.dow.com/greatstuff/diy/index.htm

note i used 4 threaded rods a little bit longer then the two tubes to bolt the two rings to the tube. the rods also spaced the bigger and smaller tubes evenly.
      Last edited by philiparcario; 08-27-2008, 11:47 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

You can get plywood cylinders from TapeEase. They are only 5/16" thick, but it is circle of plywood, so the strength is much greater. The also have thicker 1/2 round sections which you can glue together.

Tim

http://www.tapeease.com/Wood%20Cylinders.htm
        Tim
        "It's all about impedance matching!"

Comment

What about using Sonotube? Home depot has 8" dia in 12" lengths for under $10 if memory serves.
          nothing can stop me now

Comment

Build a square box.

Insert a piece of sonotube.

Fill the part that isn't sonotube with cement.

DEAD speaker box.

Comment

Get two pieces of Sonotube, one smaller than the other. Fill the gap between them with concrete.

Comment

Check these out-http://www.cubiconcorp.com/shapes.html
                "Looks like you may have to design your own speakers. Its not that hard." -DE Focht

Diffraction Happens

Comment

Originally posted by bogie View Post
                  Build a square box.

Insert a piece of sonotube.

Fill the part that isn't sonotube with cement.

DEAD speaker box.
                  And would require speaker stands of reinforced concrete to hold them up. :D
                  nothing can stop me now

Comment

I dunno... Mix some vermiculite or something in with the concrete, and figure on 1" minimum thickness. Say it's a foot deep, probably not a huge weight penalty over, say, double-thickness MDF...

Comment

Drum shells come in various sizes and materials. Multi-ply Maple is often used.

http://www.precisiondrum.com/

Some get a little pricey though.
                      Bill Schneider
                      -+-+-+-+-
                      www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

Skip the supply stores and go to a business that actually uses the stuff- like a plumber or construction company. Call them up and see if they have any surplus material. I know of one business nearby that has a rather large pile of odd sized cylinders on their property just waiting to be used for something. I'm sure they would be willing to sell one for cheap just to get it gone.

Comment

Yeah, plumbers often have odd lengths laying around. That's where I found mine. The plumber brought over a length, and I cut what I needed. He returned for the rest.

He's a good acquaintance, so he didn't charge me arms and legs.
                          Bill Schneider
                          -+-+-+-+-
                          www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

sonitube in 1/2" thickness's can still be had. I used to have a link online for a guy who sells custom cut lengths of any size you want. Sorry I don't have the link lying around. I don't really have use for it anymore anyways. My current job gives me access to as much 1/2 to 5/8" tube in 3,4,6,and 10" i.d. sizes. I currently have a 82" long piece of 10" id in the garage waiting to be used. I did bring a pair to diy iowa called the tube-ways two years ago... I think? very good off axis performance.
                            It's not how far you go, it's how go you far http://techtalk.parts-express.com/co...es/biggrin.gif

Comment

Originally posted by ctbowman View Post
                              sonitube in 1/2" thickness's can still be had. I used to have a link online for a guy who sells custom cut lengths of any size you want. Sorry I don't have the link lying around. I don't really have use for it anymore anyways. My current job gives me access to as much 1/2 to 5/8" tube in 3,4,6,and 10" i.d. sizes. I currently have a 82" long piece of 10" id in the garage waiting to be used. I did bring a pair to diy iowa called the tube-ways two years ago... I think? very good off axis performance.

Yep and we still have a picture of them up online.

Doug

http://dpeterson.home.mchsi.com/

I just checked and my "give a damn" is broke :D

Comment

Working...
                              X