Member's gallery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Member's gallery

With this change of forum software, has there been any discussion to adding a section to the main page that has the Tech Talk Forum and Free Classifieds, something to the effect of a Member's Gallery where forumites can post pictures of personal projects? Sure, the project showcase shows some and one gets added periodically, but there is really no place to display, in a dedicated place, other than interspersed in the Tech Talk section.

Re: Member's gallery

I second the motion!
    If dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?

Comment

Re: We already have that

Originally posted by panterra View Post
      With this change of forum software, has there been any discussion to adding a section to the main page that has the Tech Talk Forum and Free Classifieds, something to the effect of a Member's Gallery where forumites can post pictures of personal projects? Sure, the project showcase shows some and one gets added periodically, but there is really no place to display, in a dedicated place, other than interspersed in the Tech Talk section.
      You can put photos in your Profile under "albums"
      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
      Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

I would suggest a picture/name only page. Then for more info we can go to the member's profile or pm them.

Comment

Originally posted by undefinition View Post
          You can put photos in your Profile under "albums"
          Oh I know, but that is not very practical for wanting to browse other projects. Do I have to check everyone's profile just to see if they even have projects posted to their albums? Seems like a round about way. It would be great if there was a central place on the forum to go to browse members' projects. On one of my other forums, it works quite well. Here is an example from Serotta's cycling forum.

http://www.serotta.com/forum/index.php?

Comment

Originally posted by panterra View Post
            Oh I know, but that is not very practical for wanting to browse other projects. Do I have to check everyone's profile just to see if they even have projects posted to their albums? Seems like a round about way. It would be great if there was a central place on the forum to go to browse members' projects. On one of my other forums, it works quite well. Here is an example from Serotta's cycling forum.

http://www.serotta.com/forum/index.php?
            If you go to member's Blogs, usually the project writeups can be posted there, with links to the pictures also there, or on another site.
            Later,
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I like the idea in general. Short of a special section, you might just do a thread called "Members Gallery". The moderators might be willing to make it a sticky thread so that it was always on top. You might want to consider making some rules about what should be posted, i.e. one photo and and a very short desicription. Ask for no discussion of the designs in that thread so it would not be bogged down with commentary and questions, etc. Members could put links to their own albums or websites for further information or as an alternatvie to posting photo's.
              Dan N.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                If you go to member's Blogs, usually the project writeups can be posted there, with links to the pictures also there, or on another site.
                Later,
                Wolf
                I could just rewrite my response that you just quoted. Why go through all that just to browse projects? How do I know who has projects posted? Browsing each user to see if they have posted an album or a blog, is really doing it the long way. You might actually hit one if you are really lucky, but only after numerous attempts.

Comment

I'm really pretty surprised that there is any protest at all to something like this. I'm an admiinistrator on another forum and adding something like this is painless and no effort at all. Is it just the thought of "change" that is abhorent? I know there was a lot of strife in the group just to get away from the stone knives and bear skin rugs forum we were on last year.

Comment

Originally posted by dlneubec View Post
                    I like the idea in general. Short of a special section, you might just do a thread called "Members Gallery". The moderators might be willing to make it a sticky thread so that it was always on top. You might want to consider making some rules about what should be posted, i.e. one photo and and a very short desicription. Ask for no discussion of the designs in that thread so it would not be bogged down with commentary and questions, etc. Members could put links to their own albums or websites for further information or as an alternatvie to posting photo's.
                    No discussion? That's the whole point. How would it bog it down? This is why a seperate section would be beneficial as opposed to just a single thread for everyone to contribute. Each project would have it's own thread, where there would be "questions, comments, cheers or jeers." Contributors could resize their photos to 640 x 480 and file sizes smaller than, say, some arbitraty size of 75k. Images, instead of being uploaded to PE's server, could just be hot-linked from users own server, or photo-bucket type of photo hosting site using the [img][/img] tags. That would keep PE webspace requirements at a minimum.

Comment

I'm on board. I really like the idea. A lot. Wolf, I would think that this would be right up your alley, since you have so many projects to share with all of us.

If it comes to a vote, count me as a resounding YES!

Mark
                      You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by dlneubec View Post
                        You might want to consider making some rules about what should be posted, i.e. one photo and and a very short desicription. Ask for no discussion of the designs in that thread so it would not be bogged down with commentary and questions, etc. Members could put links to their own albums or websites for further information or as an alternatvie to posting photo's.
                        Yes. As long as we have that guideline, I think it's a good idea. If you allow commentary and questions, you end up with threads about designs that go on FOREVER and information about it (and changes to it) become IMPOSSIBLE to find.

Allow me to give you a few examples:
                        http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=7644
                        http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=15323
                        http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...hreadid=100392
                        http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...threadid=93218
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=206424
                        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                        Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

I would like every pic on 1 page(s) that can be easliy submitted to. Small pics like panterra says, with the builder's name underneath. If interested, click on the name and get sent to the member profile. From there you can access blogs/threads, etc.. as you do now.

PE could have a photo section with sort of a 'submit 1 per project photo here with member name' and you're done.

Comment

I like the idea 1 picture and you can say your contact info for more pictures plans drivers etc.

Comment

This is a good idea. I think it would encourage more projects to come out of the woodwork. I have several of my own unpublished.

I agree with Paul that there should be no discussion or response to posts. More than one picture should be allowed. I would like to see the crossover schematic and response graphs if possible.
                              "Looks like you may have to design your own speakers. Its not that hard." -DE Focht

Diffraction Happens

Comment

Working...
                              X