Inconsistent moderation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inconsistent moderation

I'm trying to understand why seemingly innocent posts are deleted, but an obviously worthless thread is allowed to go on and on (Vas' cascaded bass alignment thread)...

This is not an on-topic thread, although it may be cleverly disguised as one. I'm wondering why posts have been selectively pulled from this thread, while others not. If the moderator feels strongly enough to delete several posts, why not the entire thread? I really don't think that cutting bait with a few posts changes the tone/message of this thread in any way.

Why is Vas here in the first place? I thought he was banned. I'm all for second chances if people are willing to change. I guess I'm not seeing it. And the lack of consistency with administering the forum "rules" makes this place sometimes feel like a good ol' boys club. If that's what it is, that's fine. Just let us know, Mike, so we can move on if we wish.

Toby
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free

Re: Inconsistent moderation

Allright Wingnut,

What did they delete?

I'm curious (inquiring minds want to know!).

I think the moderation here is nicely light handed.

I noticed Vas's 'What Andy G will never understand' thread was deleted.

And it should have been except that I had a real funny reply in it that I was proud of.

On the other hand Vas's 'Cascade Bass Alignment' thread though foolish actually has a lot of members reading and participating.

OK, mostly just folks who think they can set Vas straight.

I even read a little (it's like the tabloids at the check out stand, I can't help myself).

Now look at this gem from the 'I never realized' thread....

The definitive Vasyachkin post

You must admit Vas has a certain amount of entertainment value.

I noticed one of the moderators viewing this thread a few minutes ago and it has not been deleted.

It seems (to me) that they only intervene when things go beyond toxic and let the rest work itself out.

It's not mission critical since it's up to the individual whether they want to comment or even read any post or thread.

I think you might be seeing that different moderators have different thresholds.

I am seeking right now to get the power to delete posts not in agreement with mine which I think will make the board run smoother (that's how I'm putting it to the moderators anyway).
    Last edited by daryl; 09-22-2008, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by daryl View Post
      Allright Wingnut,

What did they delete I'm curious.

I think the moderation here is nicely light handed.

I noticed Vas's 'What Andy G will never understand' thread was deleted.

And it should have been except that I had a real funny reply in it that I was proud of.

On the other hand Vas's 'Cascade Bass Alignment' thread though foolish actually has a lot of members reading and participating.

OK, mostly just folks who think they can set Vas strait.

I even read a little (it's like the tabloids at the check out stand, I can't help myself).

I agree with Daryl on this . . In fact I tried to put a reply on the "I didn't realize..." thread earlier regarding that fact, but it didn't post for whatever reason.

Every forum needs a certain "entertainment" value, otherwise it's stuffy and boring. Let Vas go on with his posts. He adds entertainment value and everyone knows to take what he says with a grain of salt. (or at least they should). As Daryl points out, the most viewed threads here are typically ones with content from Vas. Even those who say they want him to go away, keep revisiting and posting to his responses, so it's an outlet for them too!

I'm pretty new here, but so far, I like the way things work on Tech Talk.
      Dave H

Comment

Toby,

I think "Inconsistent moderation" is a pretty presumptuous title for a thread. If you have an axe to grind or feel you were wronged in some way, take it up with the moderator in private. If they are unresponsive, then I would suggest you talk about that.

As far as Vas goes, if you don't like him you can put him on ignore or you can just not read his posts or you can just elect not to respond.

Good ole boys club or not (no personal opinion about this) you can always move on if you want to. If you are disgruntled and want to pick up your marbles and go home, that is your choice. If you want to continue to participate, great, I think you generally have a lot to offer. In the end though that is entirely your prerogative. If Wolf or Pete or Shawn would have made this post I would have said the exact same words to them. This was not intended to be personal beyond what you posted.

Just a reminder:
        PE is not compelled in any way to run this forum the way any of us think they should. In fact, they aren't compelled to offer it at all. If it at some point becomes more trouble than it is worth, then I'm sure they would consider that option. The PE forum is a privilege and I feel we shouldn't lose sight of that aspect. For what it's worth, I think public criticism of our hosts is a lot more destructive and more likely to drive away the quality contributors we all want to keep than any one eccentric knucklehead could be.

bb

Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything.
        - Blaise Pascal (1623 - 1662)

Comment

Originally posted by bobblickle View Post
          As far as Vas goes, if you don't like him you can put him on ignore or you can just not read his posts or you can just elect not to respond.
          Excellent suggestion.

Just a reminder:
          PE is not compelled in any way to run this forum the way any of us think they should. In fact, they aren't compelled to offer it at all. If it at some point becomes more trouble than it is worth, then I'm sure they would consider that option. The PE forum is a privilege and I feel we shouldn't lose sight of that aspect. For what it's worth, I think public criticism of our hosts is a lot more destructive and more likely to drive away the quality contributors we all want to keep than any one eccentric knucklehead could be.

bb
          It probably is in PartsExpress best interest to continue with this forum.
          Money compels. Directly or indirectly their Tech Talk Forum generates sales, garners profits.
          If criticism irritates PartsExpress, they are always free to change the rules or delete the offending posts. If they allow it, then they probably are OK with it.

Earlier this year, I posted my dissatisfaction with some of PartsExpress shipping charges, procedures. I received a lot of harsh remarks from the peanut gallery. Anyway I was refunded the overcharges and my posts were deleted by PartsExpress.

Comment

Originally posted by Hackomatic View Post
            He adds entertainment value and everyone knows to take what he says with a grain of salt.
            yep, its sort of like having a village clown, or a court jester. The court jester used to wander around making inane comments and saying how clever he was, too !! :D

or maybe more like the "bearded lady" or "man with two heads" at a carnival.
            If people want to listen to wiggles, that up to them....

I prefer music.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_G View Post

or maybe more like the "bearded lady" or "man with two heads" at a carnival.
              Or the guy with two a$$es at the very end!

John A.
              "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
              Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
              Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
              Pioneer TX-9500 II
              Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
              Statement Monitors
              Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
              Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
              Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Toby,

I think "Inconsistent moderation" is a pretty presumptuous title for a thread. If you have an axe to grind or feel you were wronged in some way, take it up with the moderator in private....
                What's wrong with talking out in the open? Whenever anyone has an issue with others who are in a position of "authority", I think it is best for the discussion to be out in the open, there's a slight chance it could keep things more fair to the person who is not in the position of authority.
                Just a reminder:
                PE is not compelled in any way to run this forum the way any of us think they should. In fact, they aren't compelled to offer it at all.
                Why do people dismiss the value added by forum members? Without the members posting, a forum is nothing. We ARE the forum. Any person/group/agency running a forum lays down the rules, establishes the reason(s) for the forums existance, etc. But, once it becomes active and filled with participating members, the members are then the most important component, and should be treated that way. A canned response of "if you don't like it, you can go" should only be applied to the person who goes strongly against the wishes of other members in such a way as to cause a problem for those other members. (such as the person who's been spamming this forum recently)...
                EDIT: ARGH!! Could we please stop these damn WOW GOLD FARM spammers!
                "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

"I'm wondering why posts have been selectively pulled from this thread, while others not. If the moderator feels strongly enough to delete several posts, why not the entire thread? I really don't think that cutting bait with a few posts changes the tone/message of this thread in any way."

The Tech Talk message board has multiple moderators, so I'm not sure what specific threads are being referred to as I have not deleted any recently. After reviewing content that has been posted the last month, I have found three threads that I completely concur with being deleted.

Each moderator has the authority to delete a thread at their discretion. And I support their work. We try to let as much through as possible and remove content if it is in violation with the terms of the message board agreement/rules.

Right now, I'm really at a loss as to the context of where the "good ol' boys club" comment came from Toby...please explain.

As for Vas, he is skating on thin ice for a couple of recent posts and knows it. He was warned by one of our moderators, Patf, and is currently flying right. A simple slip, on said ice, and another ban will be instituted.

Comment

BRAVO to MikeV

I have visited and been a part of MANY over-moderated sites and I can tell you with NO reservation that CONTROL isn't everything.

EXAMPLE: Vasyachkin... He is i very decent guy but he is misguided. He is so focused on right/wrong that he has lost his vision on reality, which is absolute dog-$. Reality is complete dog-$.

Vas... Reality is dog-$.

Comment

Working...
                    X