$100,000+ speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $100,000+ speakers

Anyone want to speculate as to why the are so expensive and why they are so special. Do any of the DIY projects out there come close to this performance?

http://www.audionote.co.uk/products/...an-e_01.shtml#

Re: $100,000+ speakers

THAT speaker... the AN-E... is a hundred grand?

Like, wow.

Usually, when you deal with boutique speakers, there's a couple different things that jack the price way up: low volume, low volume & low volume.

Oh, and buyer gullability.
    nothing can stop me now

Comment

Stick your nose in the air, raise your right eyebrow, and say snobbishly through pursed lips, "It's because they're D-a-n-i-s-h you American peasant".

EDIT: Corrected country of origin to an even snobbier place.:p

Comment

Danish, actually.
        nothing can stop me now

Comment

If they have sold one pair total I would be surprised. It does create conversation though, doesn't it?
          Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Maybe they induce some sort of coma like when you die and see light at the end of the tunnel and feel an overwhelming peace.

Comment

18Hz F6? 95db sensitivity? I call BS on this 8" 2-way.
              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

I believe it is a new version of the old Snell type E.

It might be a nice $500-$1000 speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                  18Hz F6? 95db sensitivity? I call BS on this 8" 2-way.
                  Yep I chuckled when I saw that too.

Comment

Originally posted by cawz1000 View Post
                    Anyone want to speculate as to why the are so expensive and why they are so special. Do any of the DIY projects out there come close to this performance?

I have mucho experience with these types of speakers and the companies that proclaim their superiority. IT IS BS, pure & simple. They can always find a reviewer who eloquently waxes about the performance and how they are SO worth it. I've heard the uber-dollar speakers demo'd at CES over at the Hilton & St. Tropez...what a load. It is a case where the price gives the illusion of quality, mostly psychological. "It costs more, it MUST have better SQ". We had people come into the audio store where I worked that were of this mentality, even though through listening tests and our real-world measurements could prove the ridiculousness of the price and no improvement in listenable SQ. But they were dead set on a certain brand...hey, who am I to argue with someone wanting to spend their own money in a free society? Once you get above around $2,000 a pair, the value vs performance ratio diminishes exponetially, and not on a gradual scale...more like a cliff-face. Nothing I saw would warrant even $20,000 for a pair of those. I can't believe with all the information and knowledge available, that some continue to buy into this nonsense.

John A.
                    "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
                    Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
                    Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
                    Pioneer TX-9500 II
                    Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
                    Statement Monitors
                    Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
                    Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
                    Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Originally posted by cawz1000 View Post

that speaker is a piece of sh1t and ugly to boot.

Comment

It is a good sales strategy. It may help sales of their lower cost models. Also, you only need to sell one to make close to $100k as opposed to 1000 speakers that you make $100 each.
                        DIY Audio Projects ::: DIY Hi-Fi Audio Blog
                        [ DIY K-12 Tube Amp Kit | DIY LM3886 Gainclone | DIY Fostex FE127E Bipole Speaker | DIY Fostex FX120 Bookshelf Speaker ]

Comment

Without the benefit of slave labor, especially doing everything by hand in onesey twoseys, in a country where the taxes are a little on the high side, expect prices to be a wee bit more than you're accustomed to seeing.

Comment

Indeed it is based on the old Snell E.Woofer is SEAS or Vifa sourced that tweet looks like the old ( popular in 80's&90's) Tonegen. http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/506an/

Comment

I have just one more thing to say about this BS

If he sells just 20 pairs ($2,000,000 worth), he's set for life. And I bet there are at least 20 suckers willing to fork over the cash. ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X