Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pics of my latest builds ( 2 sets or bargin mini's and (4) TB 5.25" vertical sub)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics of my latest builds ( 2 sets or bargin mini's and (4) TB 5.25" vertical sub)

Well, just though i would post up pics of what i am working on this week

1st: My staked lamination bargin minis should be finished this week. I just need to add ports, repaint the baffles, and do up the crossovers. The paint is that rock paint, i think it looks pretty cool. These are a present for my father in law to use a monitors for his video editing on his Mac.

2nd: My set of Bargin mini's. These are standard square boxes, veneered in phenolic backed plain sliced red oak. The black lines from the phenolic is barely noticable. I would finish these ths week, but i managed to put a screw driver through the woofer and tweeter, so i need to order more, but the shipping is higher then the speakers, so they will have to wait till i need other parts from Madey and MCM.

3rd: This is a vertical sub tower. Not for me, it ships out friday. Its fits (4) Tang Band 5.25" subs. Air space is 2 cubic feet, slot port on the bottom. It has a removable back in the top part. It is vennered in red oak. the back and sides are phenolic backed, the front and top is iron on to cover the black lines. In the back view you can see the 2 shelf braces i put in.

Hope you guys enjoy and feel free to post comments and suggestions
    Check out my website: www.uberstealthaudio.com.
    Now offering cnc cut baffles and other speaker cabinet parts

Re: Pics of my latest builds ( 2 sets or bargin mini's and (4) TB 5.25" vertical sub)

I like the oak veneer sub tower. By the way did my work arrive at your home today?

Comment

Re: Pics of my latest builds ( 2 sets or bargin mini's and (4) TB 5.25" vertical sub)

Nick,

Is that rock paint something you can get at any hardware store? It looks like an interesting finish for outdoor speakers.

Those Tang Band 5.25" Subs are awesome. I have 2 in a ported test box, and for such a small driver, the frequency range and output are amazing from 40 to 500Hz! The challenge I see with them is that they need a very large/long port to keep the port from getting noisy.

Louis

Comment

Originally posted by Ludo View Post
        Is that rock paint something you can get at any hardware store? It looks like an interesting finish for outdoor speakers.
        Looks like Fleckstone paint. You can purchase it just about anywhere.

http://www.plasti-kote.com/plastikot...uct=Fleckstone

Comment

yep thats the paint.

I recieved the maple a few days ago, i have it sanded down to 1" thick. i hope to run it this friday or early next week. Is it just a single speaker?

Port in the tang band box is 14" approx long, i would need to look at my drawing, it folds over once on its self

Comment

I love those little minis and have built three of them, one for my desk at work, one for my wife's desk and one for the kitchen TV. As I'm sure you are aware, the holes for the woofers can be cut with a four inch hole saw. It is a very close fit, because the woofer doesn't have a lot of shoulder. I use a bead of Ace Hardware rope caulk, which does not seem to have silicon, to seal the woofer.

The tweeter hole can be cut with a 36mm Forstner bit and a 2.25 Forstner bit for the back side. Just drill a pilot hole, start the back side drill with the 2.25 bit, back it out, drill the 35mm hole, sand a bit with a rotory sand bit on a drill, press fit the tweeter for size, then continue drilling with the 2.25 Forstner bit until the tweeter is flush fit. I used a hand drill for both bits and got perfect fits. I can press fit the tweeter without using screws or glue. By the way, I used half inch MDF. For a project this small, three quarter inch seemed overkill.

Here is a thread here about converting the Minis to an MTM version. The outside diminsions on mine are 14 inches tall, 9 1/2 inches deep and 6 1/2 inches wide, using 1/2 inch MDF. My port is 1 1/2 inches wide and 4 inches long. Dennis Jarchow measured them at Iowa (Thanks again, Dennis) and they were flat from 400hz to 20,000 hz. I've been trying to post the graph here, but simpy cannot figure how to do it.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=200579

I like the wood look on the square box. I am impressed by the work on the staked lamination box. Very nice work. Someone is getting a very nice Xmas present. Will you line them with some sort of sound barrier as you complete your build? I used inch and a half Sonic barrier on the back and top of mine and inch Sonic Barrier on the sides and bottom.

Comment

im doing them on the cheap. so i will just use like 3/4" open cell foam on all sides.

so i cant use silicone to seal the speakers? why not?

Comment

Originally posted by nikbrewer View Post
                yep thats the paint.

I recieved the maple a few days ago, i have it sanded down to 1" thick. i hope to run it this friday or early next week. Is it just a single speaker?

Port in the tang band box is 14" approx long, i would need to look at my drawing, it folds over once on its self
                Yes that is a wide range jordan see thumbnail for current box. I am selling the top mount tweeter. I am now using the ribbon tweeter in a maple box see other thumbnails
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by nikbrewer View Post
                  im doing them on the cheap. so i will just use like 3/4" open cell foam on all sides.

so i cant use silicone to seal the speakers? why not?
                  Silicone may rot surround. This is better.

http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-138757/Detail

In comes in 1 gallon home depot has it for forty dollars at all stores. less toxic no fumes won't rot foam surrounds can be painted on. A gallon does a lot of area. can be used in cars inside doors. if you are going to do a car for someone this is pretty good to use. it is not as rugged as the black stuff that is sprayed on cars for soundproofing. but inside of doors I like to use it.

Comment

What's the theory behind 4 tiny sub drivers?

With a cabinet that size you could easily use a couple of 8's

Comment

Wow, great work. The construction on that sub really looks wonderful. Somebody is getting a deal!

Comment

well, the box is about 13" deep 9" wide and 40" tall, so you could barely fit a 8" sub in the face. and at 2 cubic feet, it would be hard to fit 2 8" subs in that air space ported. I just build them, but if the 5 1/4" are anything like the 6 1/2", this thing will sound good

Comment

Nik,

That thing looks awesome, cant wait to get it, finish it, and fire it up. Let me know as soon as you get it shipped so i can pay you for the shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by philiparcario View Post
                            Silicone may rot surround.
                            Rot? No way. Foam surrounds rot because of ozone or whatever. I think some foam is even attacked by bacteria or molds. Never seen a rotten rubber surround, except maybe on woofers in old junk cars that were left open or exposed to the elements.
                            Cone/surround glues might soften up if heavy amounts of solvent are present/evaporating inside the enclosure, causing things to begin to pull away.

I've used silicone successfully in all sorts of applications. In fact I even know what RTV stands for.
                            I have thinned down silicone glue with lacquer thinner and then dispensed it from a hobby syringe for precision application to repair cones, re-cone.

Silicone glue was featured/recommended several times throughout all the years of Speaker Builder Magazine. I never remember reading any retractions.
                            Last edited by ; 11-26-2008, 08:57 PM.

Comment

The stone texture paint is great over mdf, fills end grain like nothing else I have seen.

Comment

Working...
                              X