Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enclosure Lining Materials

Hello, everybody.

I've been thinking a lot lately about materials for lining speaker enclosures. I know of the common routes that many builders take -- open-cell foam, fiberglass, polyfill...but I've personally been hunting around for something that is as easy to work with as the open-cell foam yet with better absorption capability.

It seems to me that thick, low-density wool felt would make a great enclosure lining material, to be used alone or with open-cell foam. I've seen some excellent felt used in automotive applications for noise dampening.

http://www.sefelt.com/saeover.htm

The Society of Automotive Engineers has a grading system for industrial nonwoven materials. Among the SAE grades, SAE F-13 and F-15 are two low-density felts that are recommended for acoustic dampening. I'd like to get a roll of whichever of these is cheaper, just to experiment with, but I was wondering if anyone on here had experience with using felt as a damping material. An even cheaper route may be to use a "synthetic" wool comprised of a blend of 50/50 wool/polyester fibers.

What's your damping material of choice, and why?
    Best Regards,

Rory Buszka

Taterworks Audio

"The work of the individual still remains the spark which moves mankind ahead, even more than teamwork." - Igor I. Sikorsky

If it works, but you don't know why it works, then you haven't done any engineering.

Re: Enclosure Lining Materials

lots out there cork / redgard /felt . I like all three I use what i have laying around. I have a lot of cork and redgard right now. I do like felt but I don't get a hold of it as much as cork and redgard. I use cork for other thing and have left over I use redgard to line bathroom floors under tile so I have it left over because I did 3 bathrooms in my home in the last 5 years. for free I would use redgard. it paints on with a brush and does not stink. 3 coats helps a lot. really good on metal like car doors. It also seals air leaks and makes gaskets for woofers.
    Last edited by philiparcario; 11-30-2008, 06:48 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Re: Enclosure Lining Materials

A whopping $/bag;

I used 4 bags, 2 per cab, and the spray-adhesive from Elmers.
      Later,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
      X