Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally got the Lex pictures uploaded...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got the Lex pictures uploaded...

http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...x2008andThiel/
    There are lots of pictures from the tour as well.
    Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Re: Finally got the Lex pictures uploaded...

Hey wolf did you get a listen to the thiel cs3.7 ? thanks for all the shots phil

Comment

Originally posted by philiparcario View Post
      Hey wolf did you get a listen to the thiel cs3.7 ? thanks for all the shots phil
      Yep! The M/T combo was nice, but the bass was not as good as expected. I suppose it could've been the recording. The CS2.2SE was easier to listen to.
      Later, and no-prob!
      Wolf
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Nice set of pics wolf...looks like it was a good time. Especially all of the boomboxes. ;)
        DP

Comment

What is that "thing" AJ made? :P

Dipole co-ax + dipole sub +?

Nick
          I'm just that guy. www.sru.edu Rock Solid.

"It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion."

L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Comment

Originally posted by donparsons View Post
            Nice set of pics wolf...looks like it was a good time. Especially all of the boomboxes. ;)
            Good to see you still around, Donnie! I was a little worried there for a while.

I just found that it was extremely funny that Thiel employees (except the female driver assembler) listen to such "inferior" sound systems in the shop!! Isn't that ironic???
            Heh,
            Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by nick29498141 View Post
              What is that "thing" AJ made? :P

Dipole co-ax + dipole sub +?

Nick
              sorta-
              cardioid 12" coax + 12" XLS(?) + 15" cardioid aluminum sub.

FWIW- it was extremely loud, and very capable. I still think he has some tweakage to do in the xover.
              Later,
              Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Thanks for the pics Wolf. Wish I could have made the Thiel tour:(

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                sorta-
                cardioid 12" coax + 12" XLS(?) + 15" cardioid aluminum sub.
                No, Nick was a bit closer . The coax was dipol(ar), as was the TC 15 sub - which combined with the XLS12 sub, produces a cardioid pattern, that degenerates to monopolar(omni) at lowest frequencies.

FWIW- it was extremely loud,
                You should hear those performers live. My demo might have sounded tame in comparison ;).

I still think he has some tweakage to do in the xover.
                Anything specific? Thnx.

cheers,

AJ

Comment

Originally posted by ajinfla View Post
                  No, Nick was a bit closer . The coax was dipol(ar), as was the TC 15 sub - which combined with the XLS12 sub, produces a cardioid pattern, that degenerates to monopolar(omni) at lowest frequencies.
                  That's probably the most interesting DIY design I've ever seen. Have you come around to the notion that the way to make a coaxial driver behave like the best possible waveguide is to make it big enough to not have to move much and big enough to control directivity? What was that driver?

Comment

Wow, I love the irony of all those boomboxes laying around. At least in the Community factory, we had tons of old CSV8's and CSX35's to listen to -- which had actual woofers...and tweeters. Never mind that the woofer was a full-range and the tweeter was a piezo. With so many beautiful high-end drivers to listen to, and for as long as Thiel has been in business, they should have plenty of old scrap speakers, not boomboxes.

We ought to use these photos to make a text-based RPG for the Thiel visit...

CNC Room

You enter a dimly-lit room with two computer-controlled woodworking machines. The only obvious exit is SOUTH, but the door locks behind you. Basic attempts to open the door fail -- you're trapped! The floor is covered in sawdust, and the air hangs thick with dust and the smell of hot wood. Your lungs cry out in protest, and your airways tighten, but you'll be all right...for a little while.

>> Look Left

To your left, you see some discarded wood SCRAPS in a bin beside a WORKBENCH. There are a few TOOLS sitting beside a dusty BOOMBOX.

>> Turn On Boombox

You turn on the BOOMBOX. A shop worker hears the music, and finds you in the room. You get yelled at.
                    (Yup, did an internship at Community. I was a lucky guy that summer...but that's a long way to move for a first job, let alone an internship.)
                    Best Regards,

Rory Buszka

Taterworks Audio

"The work of the individual still remains the spark which moves mankind ahead, even more than teamwork." - Igor I. Sikorsky

If it works, but you don't know why it works, then you haven't done any engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by ajinfla View Post
                      Thanks for the pics Wolf. Wish I could have made the Thiel tour:(

You should hear those performers live. My demo might have sounded tame in comparison ;).

Anything specific? Thnx.

cheers,

AJ
                      Well- to be honest, AJ, they just don't sound life-like to me. It's like the midrange is the weekest point. While they do get very loud, they don't sound real, or extremely clear. The sound is "effortless" though, as I have come to know with high-sensitivity designs.
                      Later,
                      Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Good to see you still around, Donnie! I was a little worried there for a while.

I just found that it was extremely funny that Thiel employees (except the female driver assembler) listen to such "inferior" sound systems in the shop!! Isn't that ironic???
                        Heh,
                        Wolf
                        I poke my head in a couple times a day. I have been working quite a bit for the past 3 months finishing some construction at work and at home. We have pretty well finished the renovation at work and are now opening a golf fitness center, putting studio, and 3d hitting bay. All very advanced in the golf world, and something I have dreamed of for the past 10-12 years. Unfortunately, we are opening into a tough economy and may have to bear a few lumps. But, I have confidence in my abilities and will figure a way to excel in trying times.

In the meantime, we are tightening our belts and holding off on spending until we ensure that things head in the right direction.

I still have the Tubulars to finish, and then I would like to do the Sunflowers to hear something different. Until then I will just have to live vicariously through those who are actively building.
                        DP

Comment

Well- to be honest, AJ, they just don't sound life-like to me.
                          I appreciate your honesty. It's exactly the type of critique needed if I am to improve upon the design. I would want no less.
                          You will note that I specifically chose tracks with acoustic instruments - so that one could reference against life.
                          I should also note that I do not fully judge a loudspeakers sound unless heard in a living room environment - quite different from both Dayton and Lex.

It's like the midrange is the weekest point. While they do get very loud, they don't sound real, or extremely clear. The sound is "effortless" though, as I have come to know with high-sensitivity designs.
                          Later,
                          Wolf
                          I'm not really sure where I would start to tweak the XO to get the midrange to sound real, clear and yet remain effortless at the same time.
                          Perhaps you could point me to a design that has these attributes, so I could give a listen and know what to target?
                          So far I have been using the instruments of the performers themselves as a target, but I'm obviously missing the mark!
                          Thanks again.

Originally posted by DS-21 View Post
                          That's probably the most interesting DIY design I've ever seen.
                          If you do say so your damn self. They look worse in person ;)

Originally posted by DS-21 View Post
                          Have you come around to the notion that the way to make a coaxial driver behave like the best possible waveguide is to make it big enough to not have to move much and big enough to control directivity?
                          There is no best possible. What might be best can only be considered in the context of the specific design. It would involve the VC/cone attatchment, cone profile and termination (surround). Size would come into if you are trying to minimize displacement at HP. The larger driver can be used to lower the HP and thus possibly make integration with the LF a bit easier. But the larger diameter also means that omnidirectional behavior occurs lower in frequency.
                          The driver will remain unnamed for now.;)

cheers,

AJ

Comment

Originally posted by Taterworks View Post
                            Wow, I love the irony of all those boomboxes laying around. At least in the Community factory, we had tons of old CSV8's and CSX35's to listen to -- which had actual woofers...and tweeters. Never mind that the woofer was a full-range and the tweeter was a piezo. With so many beautiful high-end drivers to listen to, and for as long as Thiel has been in business, they should have plenty of old scrap speakers, not boomboxes.

We ought to use these photos to make a text-based RPG for the Thiel visit...

(Yup, did an internship at Community. I was a lucky guy that summer...but that's a long way to move for a first job, let alone an internship.)
                            It's like Zork for speaker geeks. I love it!

shawn
                            My favorite woofer is a Labrador retriever.

Comment

Without knowing what you've heard, AJ, I can't really recommend something. I also cannot recommend a commercial product, as I don't know many, and haven't heard very many. I will say this though- The B&W Kevlar-in-a-bowling-ball midrange is one of the better units, and it's tough to get that from DIY sometimes.

Honestly I think the blending from the horn to the midbass is the trouble-spot. I will also say this- The "dipole" as you call it really isn't in that configuration. I bet you are cancelling out your frequencies way too early at the lowend of its response. You'd be better off with a U-frame, and a damping layer slung over the back.

Just some thoughts,
                              Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Working...
                              X