ARTA Measurments, questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARTA Measurments, questions.

I have ARTA up and running now, however I'm not sure if I'm doing any of it right. I can get measurments from the FR1, FR2 and STEPS, scale readings and create FRD files, but I would like to know how others are using ARTA. Do you use FR1, FR2 or STEPS?, white or pink or something else?, do you use scaling? How do you setup your mic? In general I would like any and all information about how others are using ARTA.

Thanks.
    Ed

Re: ARTA Measurments, questions.

I have to go to sleep now, but I found ARTA to be the easiest to use measurement program, once I figured it out.

I'll try to check back here in a day or two to see if somebody hasn't answered your questions.
    "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

What gives, nobody want to share? I know more that one is using ARTA. I think this type of information could help, I'm kind-of shoting in the dark here, I'm getting measurments, they look good, match close to others, but I still have no clue if I'm doing any of it right.

Just some general information on how other are using ARTA would be a big help.

Thanks
      Ed

Comment

I like the MLS sweep with the FR + distortion plots.

I did the setup with jumpers and a resistor to get impedance measurements from LIMP.

With FRD and ZMA files then it's easy to use the PCD spreadsheet, or, whichever other speaker CAD program (I find it's harder to get the other CAD programs measurement features to work properly, compared to ARTA).

Mostly, I like simple FR plots with the "overlay" feature to see the difference before and after a change / tweak. It's very nice how ARTA will do the auto-dual gate to measure both the low + high FR and merge them into one nice plot.

Of all the programs I tried, ARTA worked the best for me. Though the next most useful thing for me would be the crossover simulator from either LspCAD or Sound Easy (I think they both have that feature?).

I don't do any level calibration, I just make sure to measure each driver at the same level. Having a calibrated mic, and setting the level accurately would be nice though.
        "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

I'm getting ready to do some frequency measurements (hopefully, today) using ARTA. If I'm understanding you, you did not do any of the calibration steps (soundcard in / out, pre-amp, power amp). Is that correct?

I can get access to a good RMS voltmeter at work, so I could calibrate the soundcard, but I don't know the pre-amp or power amp gain. If I don't do all this stuff, does that mean I will only have relative measurements, not absolute ones? That might be OK.

Do I run a risk of damaging something if I don't calibrate (putting out too large a signal, for example)?

Comment

Working...
          X