Best adhesive for refoaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best adhesive for refoaming?

I know PE sells some adhesive for refoaming but is there anything I can pick up locally to practice refoaming some woofers? Any tips appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Best adhesive for refoaming?

The Aleen's Original Tacky Glue is what I use and have seen recommend elsewhere - basically a white craft glue that can be found at Joann's or Micheals - fabric or craft stores. I've used it on foam and rubber surrounds and not one have come undone.

- Brad
    Brad
    piano black sealing mdf irregular recesses grill technique

Comment

Originally posted by bmaupin View Post
      The Aleen's Original Tacky Glue is what I use and have seen recommend elsewhere - basically a white craft glue that can be found at Joann's or Micheals - fabric or craft stores. I've used it on foam and rubber surrounds and not one have come undone.

- Brad
      It's good to hear someone else has tried that. I used it too, only because it was all I had on hand, not sure if I had done the right thing. No problems yet on my Focal 8"'s. Got the Aleene's at Wal-mart.
      "Looks like you may have to design your own speakers. Its not that hard." -DE Focht

Diffraction Happens

Comment

Thanks guys I think I've got some at home in the brown plastic bottle that I got at Hobby Lobby. Any idea how long it takes to dry?

Also any suggestions on what to use as "shims" on the voice coil while refoaming? I've got some old woofers with bad foam and 12" surrounds I'd like to try out. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kenmcculloch View Post
          Thanks guys I think I've got some at home in the brown plastic bottle that I got at Hobby Lobby. Any idea how long it takes to dry?

Also any suggestions on what to use as "shims" on the voice coil while refoaming? I've got some old woofers with bad foam and 12" surrounds I'd like to try out. Thanks.
          I spent about ten minutes constantly going around the surround/cone junction, pressing it back down until it held on it's own.

I used card stock and thinner paper to get the voice coil really tight. I cut the pieces at a taper so they would slide in better.

Good Luck!
          "Looks like you may have to design your own speakers. Its not that hard." -DE Focht

Diffraction Happens

Comment

The spider alone will often hold it. You can't use shims without removing the dome, which just further complicates things. Business card stock works well for shimming, use 1/2'" wide strips spaced around the polepiece.
            www.billfitzmaurice.com
            www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

I visited a reconer here in Sacramento, he uses cut strips of wax paper to shim the voice coil.

http://nealspeakerrepair.com/

Comment

I've used an old playing card, cut into strips. Like jbruner, I cut the pieces into wedge-shapes, like a triangle. Old cards work well...more broken in, flexible. Most of the re-foam kits I've gotten lately have some shims included. Practice is a good idea. My first attempt at replacing surrounds was on some original 10" woofers. Shoulda practiced on some old cheapies first. No shims in the kit, no instructions, just the surrounds, Xacto knife, glue, foam swabs and some alcohol. I should have realized the need for some sort of shim, but the cone/voice-coils became misaligned. I fixed them a few years later when I got a kit from PE...which had the shims. Cutting off the dust-cap is the most tedious part.

John A.
                "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
                Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
                Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
                Pioneer TX-9500 II
                Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
                Statement Monitors
                Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
                Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
                Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

15 - 30 minutes.

I use the front or rear page of magazines - it is generally just a little bit thicker than the inner pages. 1/2" or so pieces inserted at 3 places (120 degrees apart) until you cannot get any more in (same # at each location).

- Brad
                  Brad

Comment

I bought a refoam kit for some old Advents , came with a CD that played a low
                    tone that centered the cone , so you could then glue on the refoam .
                    Worked for me .

Comment

Originally posted by udderslate View Post
                      I bought a refoam kit for some old Advents , came with a CD that played a low
                      tone that centered the cone , so you could then glue on the refoam .
                      Worked for me .
                      Hey, that is a great tip - especially for those owners of Dynaudio drivers because there is no dust cap to remove on most of them. Did you attach the surround to the driver or frame first before centering so that you could avoid moving the cone?

- Brad
                      Brad

Comment

I glued the surround first to the cone and let it dry .
                        I then put on a coat of glue to outer surround and frame .
                        Then with the CD playing , I set the Amp volume for a barely noticable cone movement. I then pressed the outer surround to the frame .
                        While mostly dry , but still able to rip it apart if needed , I gave the CD
                        a bit more volume , maybe 1/4 in total cone movement , listening for scraping sounds .
                        Truth be known , with half the surround rotted off , these sounded fine , except cranked .

Comment

Originally posted by udderslate View Post
                          I glued the surround first to the cone and let it dry .
                          I then put on a coat of glue to outer surround and frame .
                          Then with the CD playing , I set the Amp volume for a barely noticable cone movement. I then pressed the outer surround to the frame .
                          While mostly dry , but still able to rip it apart if needed , I gave the CD
                          a bit more volume , maybe 1/4 in total cone movement , listening for scraping sounds .
                          Truth be known , with half the surround rotted off , these sounded fine , except cranked .
                          Very cool technique! Thanks.

- Brad
                          Brad

Comment

I've re-coned many pairs of drivers - never shimmed any and would never cut the cap of to do so. 60-100Hz tone works great.

The glue I use is Power Poxy multipurpose adhesive. I like it because it has about a 1 minute work time. Not too short, not too long. I also use the black binder clips all the way around the surround when setting it up. I get the surround where it is centered, then clamp it down. Then I run around the speaker by quarters; taking the clamps off, gluing, putting the clamps back on.

Comment

Originally posted by bmaupin View Post
                              Very cool technique! Thanks.

- Brad
                              I must be honest , It wasn't my idea...
                              I followed the instructions from the ebayer "loonytune2001" .
                              I bought the refoam kit for my free and still unused SmallAdvents .
                              Kit came with foam,glue,CD and instructions .
                              The small advents have a very unique dust cap..irreplaceable .

Comment

Working...
                              X