X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jkim
    Seasoned Veteran
    • May 2007

A sweet deal - Onkyo CD receiver

I picked this up at $66 plus $15 S&H at ebay. Arrived today. When bidding, I thought it'd be a mildly used or refurbished unit. Upon inspecting it in and out and all accessories, I concluded that it's not even barely used. Virtually new! Remote and accessories are never touched. I feel a fresh PCB smell while breaking in now.

It drives my 84 dB sensitive Usher/Peerless 2-way quite well. CD spins quietly. Amp section sounds really good. Can even drive 4 ohm speakers. It was a success. I'd call it a steal! Even at its $99 buy-it-now price.

Search ebay by "ONKYO CR-305TX CD RECEIVER." They have 4 more units.

-jAy
  • benchtester
    Seasoned Veteran
    • May 2008

Re: A sweet deal - Onkyo CD receiver

Sounds interesting. Does it play burned CDs (CDR) well?

Comment

• jclin4
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Oct 2005

Looks like a very nice buy indeed, and much better deal than competing products from NAD/TEAC.

I noticed that it has digital outputs, but wasn't able to determine if it has analog pre-outs? If not and to use with a sub, it would be required to run the speaker-level outputs into the sub's amp (assuming the amp has speaker-level inputs)?

Comment

• daveh
        Midrange Member
        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by jclin4
        Looks like a very nice buy indeed, and much better deal than competing products from NAD/TEAC.

I noticed that it has digital outputs, but wasn't able to determine if it has analog pre-outs? If not and to use with a sub, it would be required to run the speaker-level outputs into the sub's amp (assuming the amp has speaker-level inputs)?
        This does look very nice. According to the manual the US and Canada models have a sub out. The Asian and European models do not.

DaveH

Comment

• jkim
          Seasoned Veteran
          • May 2007

It plays CDRs with no problem. Yes, it has a subwoofer pre-out. Also two sets of stereo line in and out. I'm even thinking of using it as my testing amp for SPL and impedance measurement. I'll measure its response with RMAA.

Comment

• kepler
            Been Around Awhile
            • Sep 2005

jkim, Did you ever test the response?

Comment

• jkim
              Seasoned Veteran
              • May 2007

I said I'd post this receiver's measurements. Below are the results. Two measurements in each plot. One is for the amp plus my sound card, and the other is for the sound card only.

Frequency Response

Noise Level

Harmonic Distortion at 1 kHz

Intermodulation Distortion with 60 Hz and 7 kHz Tones

This receiver's amp section is decent. Not excellent for a driver measurement setup but good enough. The EMU 0404's performance is stunning as expected. Maybe it's the quietest external sound card.

-jAy
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...