What will replace SA-XR55/57 etc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will replace SA-XR55/57 etc?

I wanted to buy a Panasonic SA-XR55 but when I went to Amazon to get one it says "no longer available".

Anybody know what products are replacing these?

I like the "100% digital from the input to the output" that you could do with this (or rather, I wanted to try it, it seemed cool).

My dad got one, he said it sounds a lot better than his really old Classs A Yamaha reciever that died.
    "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Re: What will replace SA-XR55/57 etc?

Ebay?

JVC used to have some interesting digital-amp receivers for a while, but the real beauties used to be Harman-Kardon's DPR-series Digital Path Receivers, which used a third-party class-D amplifier module. IMO, the digital solid-state amplifiers have always sounded 'colder' or 'harder' to me than analog solid-state amplifiers.

http://www.liquis.com/ebaypics/20081...-0067648-d.jpg - you can see the amp module, which is located under the beige-colored housing with the centrally-located fan.
    Best Regards,

Rory Buszka

Taterworks Audio

"The work of the individual still remains the spark which moves mankind ahead, even more than teamwork." - Igor I. Sikorsky

If it works, but you don't know why it works, then you haven't done any engineering.

Comment

The only really special things about the Panasonic receivers were their slim form factor and energy efficiency. Now, I happen to think both of those factors made them better than competing audio gear at the time: I bought one in the summer of 2005 to replace a Marantz preamp and unsightly stack of Adcom amps. (Sonically, they're all commodity parts, and anyone who thinks that one piece of kit "sounds different" from another is with any unique processing - "room correction," parametric EQ, etc. - disengaged is wrong unless one of them is either really badly designed or physically broken.)

In my case, what did replace the XR55 was a Denon AVR-4306. I hated to go back to a big unsightly hulk of audio gear, but it does offer genuine sonic improvements over most gear in the form of Audyssey MultEQ XT room correction software, and ultimately sonics come first. That said, if Panny or someone else came out with a thin, energy-efficient receiver with MultEQ XT for $2k or less, I would step up in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by DS-21 View Post
        anyone who thinks that one piece of kit "sounds different" from another is with any unique processing - "room correction," parametric EQ, etc. - disengaged is wrong unless one of them is either really badly designed or physically broken
        I really liked the sound of my circa 1970s Dyna tube amp. There was a noticeable difference between that and more recent Onkyo 787 reciever. I've been told that for the most part the difference is in the way tube amps clip, vs solid state amps clipping.

I've also been told that in properly recorded music (which hasn't been crapily over-compressed as is the trend in pop music) the dynamic range is so great that there is often quite a difference in how well the brief transient spikes are handled in various diff. amps. For instance, even with an amp that's got a solid 100 watts, where you might be listening at ~ 10 watts RMS, you might often get lots of extremely brief periods of clipping - not sufficiently long to cause damage to speakers due to the distortion, but, sometimes enough to subtly taint the sound.

When I listen to (acoustic) music w/the Onkyo it seems dull compared to a live instrument. I didn't notice that as much back when I had the Dyna.

I'm not saying that I know that I would hear a clearly audible difference between my Onkyo and one of the Panasonic digital amps, but I'd like to listen to hear for myself.

I have always been of the opinion, that when comparing amps with sufficient power, that the difference between the "sound" of the amps should be insignificant compared to differences between different speakers. So, I'm not really sure why I think I'm so disappointed with the sound of my Onkyo (for music, it's AWESOME for home theater).
        "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

Originally posted by DS-21 View Post
          The only really special things about the Panasonic receivers were their slim form factor and energy efficiency.
          If I recall correctly, the Panasonic also had a rather attractive price making it a rather cheap way to build a basic HT. I, too, would like to find something comparable.

Comment

Working...
          X