4 x TB W5-1138SM Sub Tower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 x TB W5-1138SM Sub Tower

Well, here it is. I finally got it finished and put together. I am running th NHT buyout 100w amp with 4 TB W5-1138SM 5.25" subwoofers in a 2.0 ft^3 vented box. This project exceeded my expectations. I am very impressed with it. So, if anyone has 4 of these laying around I would highly recommend throwing one together. Or have Nik build it, he built this one and did a fantastic job.

Re: 4 x TB W5-1138SM Sub Tower

wow, that looks great, i like that you painted the port back. what was the f3 in the simulation on that?
    Check out my website: www.uberstealthaudio.com.
    Now offering cnc cut baffles and other speaker cabinet parts

Comment

25Hz. I just hooked it up and played it. Bass is much weaker than the other. I think it might have something to do with lining the sides back and top with 1/2" black foam rubber. I didnt do anything to the other one but mount the drivers and wire it up. I might have to try to remove the stuff when i get back from new york. Did you make the dimensions exactly the same on this one? I noticed that the top driver is much closer to the top on this one than the other one.

Comment

I like the looks of that. Just for reference, what are the external dimensions?

Comment

Thats funny you ask because this brings up a concern. The new box is roughly 10.5x19.75x39. Nik, any idea what happened here? This box is 3/4" shorter than the other one. Thats where that space went on the top. Also, i have 3/4" foam inside lining the walls. Need to figure out where the performance went. I didnt think that lining the walls would reduce the volume. Anyway, let me know what happened with the dimensions.

Comment

same parts, same program. not sure how 3/4" got lost. I must have inset the top panel vs setting it on top. That small of an area would make little to no difference in a box that size. you lost about 7" c 10.5" x .75" or .031 cubic feet., or .015% of box volume. I think the new box would actual the be right one. I may have made the old one too tall. I bet you just have a amp setting or stereo setting, as i could not imagine lining the insided have any major afffects, exspecialy negative. The only other differnce is the port isd trait on the inside this time

Comment

Originally posted by aaronscalise View Post
              25Hz. I just hooked it up and played it. Bass is much weaker than the other. I think it might have something to do with lining the sides back and top with 1/2" black foam rubber. I didnt do anything to the other one but mount the drivers and wire it up. I might have to try to remove the stuff when i get back from new york. Did you make the dimensions exactly the same on this one? I noticed that the top driver is much closer to the top on this one than the other one.
              Weaker? Weaker how?

With all those woofers, make sure you don't have one out of phase. Connect a battery to the terminals and make sure all the woofers move in unison. One out of phase will play hell with system response.
              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
              Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
              "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Weaker? Weaker how?

With all those woofers, make sure you don't have one out of phase. Connect a battery to the terminals and make sure all the woofers move in unison. One out of phase will play hell with system response.
                Woofers are wired properly and are all in phase. nik, there is no stereo setting on the amp. Hmmm. i'm going to have to mess with this more when i get back. I've been listening to it and its alot different from the old one. I think i'll start by ripping out the foam.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronscalise View Post
                  Woofers are wired properly and are all in phase. nik, there is no stereo setting on the amp. Hmmm. i'm going to have to mess with this more when i get back. I've been listening to it and its alot different from the old one. I think i'll start by ripping out the foam.
                  Those aren't the most efficient woofers. They may very well have quite a bit less sensitivity than the previous. How many watts you driving them with?
                  R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                  Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                  "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

What do you mean the previous? I took the drivers amp and wiring out of one box and put it into another. 100w plate amp which works fine and will bottom the drivers on most music at around 1/2 volume on the knob.

Comment

how are you wiring them, series then parelle to keep it 4 ohms? i am leaning towards 1 wire got swapped and you are running a 8 or 16 ohm load, just my idea, i have done it before

Comment

Was the old box braced poorly or otherwise not as well built as the new one?

Could you have lost some panel flex, and perceived it as a loss in bass?

Is the new port tuned as the old one?

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by nikbrewer View Post
                          how are you wiring them, series then parelle to keep it 4 ohms? i am leaning towards 1 wire got swapped and you are running a 8 or 16 ohm load, just my idea, i have done it before
                          correct, 2 series sets and then i paralleled those sets for 4 ohms. wiring came directly out of other box. all speakers are in phase.

Comment

Originally posted by gregrueff View Post
                            Was the old box braced poorly or otherwise not as well built as the new one?

Could you have lost some panel flex, and perceived it as a loss in bass?

Is the new port tuned as the old one?

Greg
                            box is virtually identical except for the fact that the new one is 3/4" shorter. not sure on the port, nik would know. it appears to be the same. i did measure the port cutout but not the length.

Comment

port is exactly the same, and from looking, the first box was too tall, so size should not be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X