3 rebuild projects Klipsch kg 1.5, minimus 7's & sansui sp-200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 rebuild projects Klipsch kg 1.5, minimus 7's & sansui sp-200

I am currently tryin to figure out what drivers to use on 2 pairs of these, the kg's and the minimus. the kg's have some sort of voicecoil alignment issue, which can only be heard at low volume, and if you touch the top of the driver it sort of stops the noise briefly. this is only in one of them. i was thinking about replacing both drivers w/ the TB 789S, possibly the Dayton 1605

The minimus 7's (i guess that's what they are) in black metal frames. i've had these since the early 90's and the drivers are shot (pics attached) my question is that these drivers say 7 ohms on them, the stuff you read and see online notes 8... what should i replace them with and do i need to change the x-over too?

sansui's - i got an smokin old pair of zenith 12's (i think made by pioneer)which will require a little routering. i have read the port needs to be sealed and reported to somethign smaller. any further advice would be great. i'm going to start replace - listen, seal - listen, then go from there..
    Attached Files
    in line and on time...

Re: 3 rebuild projects Klipsch kg 1.5, minimus 7's & sansui sp-200

The Minimus drivers show up on EBay quite regularly. Plus, this might offer some inspiration.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

thanks, i was checking that out.. i was leaning toward teh TB 616SA still don't have a clue on the XO

and my next BIG project is getting my friend, a cabinet builder help me w/ new set of cabinets for my La Scala's... overwhelming!
      in line and on time...

Comment

Are you sure they arent Minimus77's? Minimus 7's never used a 7 ohm driver with a foam surround. All of them had 8 ohm 4" paper cone woofers with rubber surrounds.

Comment

thank you, that is exactly what i was trying to find out. i'll have to look at the boxes again, but i don't recall any model name or number.. i could be wrong.
          so i think they are 77s, any recommendations on the replacement driver? do i need to replace the xo as well?
          in line and on time...

Comment

Originally posted by warlock View Post
            thank you, that is exactly what i was trying to find out. i'll have to look at the boxes again, but i don't recall any model name or number.. i could be wrong.
            so i think they are 77s, any recommendations on the replacement driver? do i need to replace the xo as well?

You can try using an aftermarket replacement with the stock XO. But the chance of it working even acceptably is slim. A different driver will have completely different specs and characteristics; the original XO (if there is a filter on the woofer; some woofers ran full-range with only a XO for the tweeter) was designed for the stocker. I use the term "designed" loosely in this instance. Commercial companies always scrimp on the XO because they have to make so many. Always a "bottom line" concern. You might get lucky, though, with another driver. Maybe one of the Dayton classic line, like the DC160, DC130, or that Alesis 5.25". Depends on what size the original was and how much depth you have to work with. Don't be tempted by the Goldwoods and their low price. Their parameters require an unusually large sealed box with the high Qts number. If you haven't had any XO experience, I'd stick with what's in there. Pre-made and textbook formula XO's won't be adequate, either.

John A.
            "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
            Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
            Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
            Pioneer TX-9500 II
            Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
            Statement Monitors
            Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
            Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
            Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Hey Warlock while you're inside the KG1.5's could you get the xover number (should be 116---) and maybe a schematic. Does the K-1018-S 6.5" driver measure 4 or 8 ohms? I've got some other model Klipsch 6.5's that might work. If you have some WT2 specs on them maybe I can help.

Comment

Originally posted by kenmcculloch View Post
                Hey Warlock while you're inside the KG1.5's could you get the xover number (should be 116---) and maybe a schematic. Does the K-1018-S 6.5" driver measure 4 or 8 ohms? I've got some other model Klipsch 6.5's that might work. If you have some WT2 specs on them maybe I can help.
                i'll do that as soon as i get home tonight. i'll pm you tomorrow morning. thank you. can i send the one driver that has a voicecoil alignment issue somewhere and get it repaired so i can possibly use them in something else, or give them to a friend to start a set of spks (kind of trade for some of the work on my la scalas)

john-many thanks for your help. i have little experience w/ xo, but am willing to go through some trial and error and learn. these 77 have become my "pet" project of all 3 for some reason.. i guess because i've had them forever. would you guys change the tweets too? is that metal cabinet even worth screwing with? i just painted them and the grills flat black, and they actually look pretty decent again.... for what they are..
                in line and on time...

Comment

Originally posted by warlock View Post
                  i'll do that as soon as i get home tonight. i'll pm you tomorrow morning. thank you. can i send the one driver that has a voicecoil alignment issue somewhere and get it repaired so i can possibly use them in something else, or give them to a friend to start a set of spks (kind of trade for some of the work on my la scalas)

john-many thanks for your help. i have little experience w/ xo, but am willing to go through some trial and error and learn. these 77 have become my "pet" project of all 3 for some reason.. i guess because i've had them forever. would you guys change the tweets too? is that metal cabinet even worth screwing with? i just painted them and the grills flat black, and they actually look pretty decent again.... for what they are..

If you're going to change the drivers, you'll need a proper XO for the intended drivers. You could try and find a project that uses a combo that'll work in your box...that way, you're assured of good quality sound. The trial and error method involves more error, especially if you don't have a good grasp of XO design principles. I was at that stage, myself, in the beginning. I'm still not adept with designing XO's, but through experience, I know that buying and trying different components is costly and time consuming. Time and money that could be spent with a proven project that will be light years beyond the eventual SQ you'd get playing around with what you have now. You might hit on a good combination. It is possible, just not likely. Jeff Bagby has a great freeware XO design program, PCD 6.20. It uses measured data from the drivers to determine the XO topology and you can change components/values to see how it affects the response. There's a learning curve, but it's fairly easy with the tutorials and help that's available from the guys here that use the program.

http://audio.claub.net/software/jbagby.html

I've heard those speakers and some high-end ones that use CNC milled aluminum cabinets. I think a well-built and well braced MDF or plywood cabinet is better, but that's my personal opinion and listening impressions. I'm sure with the right damping material inside the cabinet, the anomalies that I heard from the metal cabinets could be dealt with. There are places that can repair your drivers. Here's one:

www.speakerrepair.com

Nice guys, good reputation. Did you see what Darren K. did with his 77's? If you want a sure thing with respect to SQ, you could use his driver choices and XO.

http://www.parts-express.com/project...ject=Kuzimus77

John A.
                  "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
                  Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
                  Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
                  Pioneer TX-9500 II
                  Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
                  Statement Monitors
                  Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
                  Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
                  Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Working...
                  X