1st Build of 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Build of 2009

I've started a new build, the 1st for '09.
    They are a set of LRC, based on Wolf's Sophomores, so thanks to Wolf for his design and thanks to ShawnA for selling me the M4N drivers. All three speakers will use the M4Ns, 1 per L/R, 2 in the CC, L/Rs will use the TN25 tweeter and the CC will use the TB 25-1719S tweeter. This set will be for my HT system in my bedroom, which means they will be designed to work in a cabinet/bookcase setting. LR above and CC below TV. All must be very small.

So here are some pics of what I've got done so far:
    Boards cut:

Tools ready:

CC Sides and bottom glue-up:

L/R 1st glue-up:

Cutting M4N recess on CC baffle:

I'll post more pics as I go along.
    Attached Files
    Ed

Re: 1st Build of 2009

Moving right along:
    CC recess done:

All holes cut on CC, rabets & recess. Even messedup one side, bit set to deep.

Using drill press for L/R M4N hole cuts:

All holes, recees, rabets etc done on L/R:

Gluing in 1.5" port in CC baffle:

Now getting ready for final glue-up once ports in L/R, more to come.
    Attached Files
    Ed

Comment

This looks great, most people will never know how much work goes into good speaker cabinet fabrication where strength and solidity are very important.

Comment

Thanks, and Yes, lots of work to make 3 small boxes.

Here more pic of my progress:
        Ports in L/R baffles:

CC baffle glue-up:

L/R baffle Glue-up:

Router work on CC baffle done:

Router work on L/R baffle done:

Next on to 1st sanding..
        Attached Files
        Ed

Comment

Looks great!

My only suggestion would be to use more clamps. Probably be ok though.

Comment

Thanks, Lunch, everything is pinned with brads too, so I don't need many clamps.

Here's more of my progress:
            CC sanded and driver test fit, looking good:

L/R sanded:

Got brass inserts in L/R, this I will not do again, broke 8 before I got 8 in, got to find something better.

Drivers in all 3 boxes, ready for testing (test XO parts everywere):

Testing L/R with 3rd version of test XO, starting to sound very good:

Next step is to sand, seal boxes and put padding in, then setup and measure eveything, think XOs are were I want them.
            Attached Files
            Ed

Comment

Beautiful work, man... looks wonderful so far.

Those look like knurled threaded inserts instead of hurricane nuts, unless I'm mistaken... do you prefer these to hurricane nuts?

Comment

Do I like these brass inserts? In a word NO. They break too easy and are hard to set right. I also don't like T-nuts or hurricane nuts, they rip out too easy and are a PITA to get set right. I like the plastic inserts that are glued in the best, but they take a long time to set (2-6 hrs). So I'll keep looking for something else, maybe I'll try the crimp in inserts from Rockler.

Got more done:

Binding posts in L/R speakers:

Binding posts in CC:

Padding and (test) XO in place for CC:

Padding and (test) XO in R/L in place:

Next is sanding/sealing/primimg/painting/sanding....
                Then measuring/testing/measuring/testing.....
                Attached Files
                Ed

Comment

How low are you tuning???

Those ports are LONG! Remember to Stuff the living daylights out of those, as they will be quite boomy if not. I also think you're MT volume is a little large.
                  Later,
                  Wolf
                  "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                  "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                  "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                  https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Wolf, The TMs are only .25ft^3, and the port is 1.5" x 6", the tuning is at 46hz. The TMs have some nice bass and are not boomy with just padding (so far). Were I'm having problems is in the CC (MTM), I could only get a 1.5" port in it, which means I need it to be 10"-12" long to get a tuning of 48-50hz, so in a 9" deep box this is hard. I would have put a 2.5" port in the side if these were not going in a inclosed cabinet, that forced me to do a front mount port, and 1.5" was the best I could do, it was hard enough on a 5.5" baffle. So far I have 2 90s on the port to get 10" and have stuff them alot, but still getting some port noise at around 60-70hz, but I'm working on it.
                    The TMs are as close as I can get to your Sophomores, on thier sides, I still need to test the stuffing on them (I used all I had on the MTM).
                    Over all I think they are going to be real nice and a big improvement over my current speakers.
                    I once again want to thank you for your design than allow me to build these.

More progress:

Sanded and sealed, awaiting more sanding and paint.
                    Attached Files
                    Ed

Comment

About driving in those threaded inserts -- did you know that there's a T-wrench designed for setting them in place?

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...&FamilyID=1048

I have to use threaded inserts sometimes in blind holes where a hurricane nut won't work. Using a screwdriver to insert them is just plain awful. The T-wrench makes it simple.
                      Bill Schneider
                      -+-+-+-+-
                      www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

what's the little notch-out for on the mtm baffle next to the woofer?
                        If dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?

Comment

Thanks for the info, Bill. I was going to the Woodcraft store next week anyway, so I'll have a look at these.
                          Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Froste View Post
                            Thanks, Lunch, everything is pinned with brads too, so I don't need many clamps.

Here's more of my progress:
                            CC sanded and driver test fit, looking good:

L/R sanded:

Got brass inserts in L/R, this I will not do again, broke 8 before I got 8 in, got to find something better.

Drivers in all 3 boxes, ready for testing (test XO parts everywere):

Testing L/R with 3rd version of test XO, starting to sound very good:

Next step is to sand, seal boxes and put padding in, then setup and measure eveything, think XOs are were I want them.
                            I use the MDF inserts from McFeely's. I chuck the driver in my drill press and rotate the chuck by hand while gently lowering the chuck. Perfect 90 degrees to the surface every time.

I install them from the back of the baffle so they never pull out.

Been doing it this way for years and I've never had an insert break, get misaligned or pull out.

John A.
                            "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
                            Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
                            Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
                            Pioneer TX-9500 II
                            Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
                            Statement Monitors
                            Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
                            Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
                            Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

The notch next to the right woofer in the CC is were I broke my jasper jig and the router jumped, hole patched now. (good catch Kid).

John, I also have used inserts the same as you, however this time I needed some very small ones, so I tried these brass ones. The bolts are 1/2" long so backside did not work, the brass is very soft, I can crush them with my hands, screwdriver will snap them fast. But I do like your way of using inserts, it works real well.

More progress:

Sanded and 1st primer on:
                              Attached Files
                              Ed

Comment

Working...
                              X