Zaph mentioned in Stereophile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zaph mentioned in Stereophile

John Krutke and his website are mentioned in the February of Stereophile. In the coverage of the Burning Amp DIY Fest, two DIYers are asked about building speakers based on Zaph's designs. When asked why they chose John's designs to build, they said '...because we could.'

Nice to see some our fraternity getting some press.

Dennis

Re: Zaph mentioned in Stereophile

Also, did you read Linkwitz's comments about speaker design? Most specificly about ported cabinets?

Plus, the end comment about why they built a free speaker design, "I'm a recovering audiophile who spent way too much money on audiophile equipment". I think that says alot about why DIY speaker building is a growing hobby.
    Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Froste View Post
      Plus, the end comment about why they built a free speaker design, "I'm a recovering audiophile who spent way too much money on audiophile equipment". I think that says alot about why DIY speaker building is a growing hobby.
      Thanks to guys like Zaph, Roman, Dennis, and many others, there are SO many more good published designs out there to build than there were even a few years ago.

My Feb. issue hasn't come yet, but now I'm really looking forward to it. It's great that a mainstream mag took notice of this hobby, hopefully in a non-condescending manner. It could clue a lot more audio enthusiasts into the possibilities of DIY.

Comment

Also, did you read Linkwitz's comments about speaker design? Most specificly about ported cabinets?

I wonder what you do when you've spent too much money on speakers?

Headphones, maybe?

I just got a pair of DT880s - some of the better headphones on the market - for $170 including shipping, tax, et cetera. For that, you're looking at a pair of Silver Als. And my headphone amp could easily wind up costing less than $30 to build!

Comment

since I don't have a prescription to audiophile mag, what did he say about ported cabinets?
          It's not how far you go, it's how go you far http://techtalk.parts-express.com/co...es/biggrin.gif

Comment

Kind of related, but I hadn't seen it mentioned here before...

The Salk Sound Tower QWT won an Audioholics "Best of" award for 2008. Jim does amazing cabinet work, and Dennis Murphy did the design.
            http://www.audioholics.com/buying-gu...product-awards

"While I rarely gush over speakers as much as I have the Salk SongTower QWTs, please note that they are not without their imperfections; just like the imperfections I could find on a supermodel if anyone would ever let me close enough to inspect one."

Comment

Renew my subscription to Stereophile!

This is one Giant step for DIY. One look at Zaph's site and hundreds of new DIYers will be hooked. The fact that the editors allowed the coverage of the Burning Amp Festival in the first place is an amazing step toward promoting the DIY hobby into the mainstream. What's next? A full review of one of the better kits?
              Last edited by sendler; 01-17-2009, 09:35 AM. Reason: '

Comment

Originally posted by ctbowman View Post
                since I don't have a prescription to audiophile mag, what did he say about ported cabinets?
                "open and closed cabinets are superior to vented enclosures because the latter's ports are themselves resonant structures that do not accurately emit sound"

Comment

Uh-oh. Over the years I've been pretty hard on Stereophile, their reviewers, typical products and even their advertisers. I can only imagine what they have to say about me. Unless it's quotes from DIY'ers, then it be ok.

Checking stats, I haven't noted any increase in visitors.

Comment

Ahh man... now John's gonna lose all his humility. He'll get a huge swollen ego and won't even talk to us lowly mortals anymore.

Just kidding, John.:D

Congrats!!

Comment

Originally posted by jkrutke View Post
                      Uh-oh. Over the years I've been pretty hard on Stereophile, their reviewers, typical products and even their advertisers. I can only imagine what they have to say about me. Unless it's quotes from DIY'ers, then it be ok.

Checking stats, I haven't noted any increase in visitors.
                      Nothing is said about you specifically. The text is as follows...

Zaph and RAAL/Requisite: Neil Kaye of San Francisco and Stuart Easton from Santa Cruz, two DIYers who met through DIYaudio, shared an outlook common to many present. Asked why they'd built speakers based on a design by John 'Zaph' Krutke, who gives away his DIY designs at www.zaphaudio.com, and amps based on the old Krell KSA-50, Kaye replied, "Because we could. I'm a recovering audiophile who spent way too much money on audiophile equipment"

Then there's info about RAAL.

Comment

Originally posted by NoBS View Post
                        "open and closed cabinets are superior to vented enclosures because the latter's ports are themselves resonant structures that do not accurately emit sound"
                        This just sounds bogus to me. I've yet to see any driver "accurately emit sound" since all of them have distortion and FR issues.

I've yet to see a system with ruler flat response, Orions included. The only thing a port or vent or open ended TL (properly damped) can possibly do is add a small wiggle in the frequency response above it's tuning. If that self resonance is well above the pass band of the driver it's loading, the contribution to the sound will be in the noise.

To me, it's all in the final implementation. If you're asking a woofer to go to 400Hz and the port self resonance is at 200Hz, there may be an issue. But I will say that a properly implemented TL or ML-TQWT sure sounds fantastic. Salk's Veracity at Iowa 2003 wowed the audience without exception. Did anyone have a problem with the bass bins of Dan's HOSS?
                        R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                        Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                        "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Stereophile paged Zaph?

Comment

Originally posted by NoBS View Post
                            They do in the passband if properly implemented. I think this is one of those broad generalizations biased in his designs favor. In the end I think just about any design approach when properly implemented can sound equally as good.
                            It's not how far you go, it's how go you far http://techtalk.parts-express.com/co...es/biggrin.gif

Comment

This just sounds bogus to me. I've yet to see any driver "accurately emit sound" since all of them have distortion and FR issues.

I've yet to see a system with ruler flat response, Orions included. The only thing a port or vent or open ended TL (properly damped) can possibly do is add a small wiggle in the frequency response above it's tuning. If that self resonance is well above the pass band of the driver it's loading, the contribution to the sound will be in the noise.

To me, it's all in the final implementation. If you're asking a woofer to go to 400Hz and the port self resonance is at 200Hz, there may be an issue. But I will say that a properly implemented TL or ML-TQWT sure sounds fantastic. Salk's Veracity at Iowa 2003 wowed the audience without exception. Did anyone have a problem with the bass bins of Dan's HOSS?
                              EXACTLY.

As far as drivers, any thoughts on plasma arc tweeters?

Comment

Working...
                              X