X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vapor602
    replied
    Re: Black Spray Paint - Brands?

AH.. yes. I believe the duplicolor high build primer is what I've been using. =)

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by stangbat View Post
    Nope, I used this below. I bought it a year ago. I assume they still make it??

Yep- I've seen that before. I just didn't recall them using "Crystal" in the name. My mistake.
    Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• stangbat
    replied

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    stangbat- I think you used Krylon Crystal-Clear, as Rustoleum's is called something else....
    Nope, I used this below. I bought it a year ago. I assume they still make it??

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by Eric.DeYoung View Post
    I'm getting ready to paint my front baffles on my Statement Monitors, and I'm struggling to choose between different brands of spray paint. I know that I don't want to do a gloss or flat finish (fingerprints, scratches, etc.) and that leaves satin and semi-gloss. What brands have you all had luck with for spraying MDF?
    Krylon Chalkboard paint is uber-flat, but using the Krylon Crystal-Clear acrylic topcoat of your choice in finish would be a change for more gloss. FWIW, using the Chalkboard and CC-Gloss would get you in the middle somewhere. I use Duplicolor's gray High-Build Primer from the auto-parts store. Make sure you Elmer the edges first, then primer, then paint, and sand wherever needed.

If you want gloss-black or medium-black in one step with clear-coating, "ColorPlace Rust-Control" is my pick. I have not used Krylon Gloss-Black, and I didn't like the Rustoleum when I tried it.

I have a writeup for my spray-paint methods in my blog should it interest you.

stangbat- I think you used Krylon Crystal-Clear, as Rustoleum's is called something else....

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Eric.DeYoung
    replied

That finish is just what I'm looking for! Too bad they stopped making the semi-flat black! I guess I'll take a look around for some Krylon satin black. Thanks for all the replies!

Eric

Leave a comment:

• williamrschneider
    replied

Wow, that thing looks real cool, whatever it is.
    By the way, what is it?
    Are those cutouts for a woofer and a tweeter?
    It was a base for Linkwitz Plutos I built two years ago...

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/audio/pluto.html

Leave a comment:

• replied

Wow, that thing looks real cool, whatever it is.
    By the way, what is it?
    Are those cutouts for a woofer and a tweeter?

Originally posted by williamrschneider View Post
    +1 on Krylon semi-flat. I've got a stash of about 6 cans left.

Here's one project painted with semi-flat...

You can see I used it on the base of some speaker stands too.

I will probably switch to satin as suggested above when my semi-flat runs out.

Leave a comment:

• williamrschneider
    replied

+1 on Krylon semi-flat. I've got a stash of about 6 cans left.

Here's one project painted with semi-flat...

You can see I used it on the base of some speaker stands too.

I will probably switch to satin as suggested above when my semi-flat runs out.

Leave a comment:

• vapor602
    replied

Krylon 'Semi-Flat' Black, is my favorite spray paint ever =D. Unortunately I think they stopped making it recently, so I guess you have to go with either flat, or satin now. I would use satin. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with krylon, they make some good stuff.

Edit: Also, I usually use some type uf 'high-build' primer, previous to painting. I forget the brand of what I use, but it helps get things real smooth, coats quicker, and keeps the wood from soaking up the color and altering the finish.

Leave a comment:

• stangbat
    replied

I used Rustoleum textured finish for my baffles followed by a light coat of Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel to add some gloss. You can see the results in the album in my profile. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

I used sanding sealer on the baffles and then lightly sanded them so that I had a smooth even surface for the paint.

Leave a comment:

• Green Machine Mowing
    replied

i used a krylon satin on the sides of my sub project that i just posted, it looks good where i did the prep right :rolleyes: it has a "modern" shaped cap, id check that out

Leave a comment:

• jerryanderson
    replied

Krylon makes different kinds to suit your need. The nice thing about Krylon, is you don't have the runs, sags you might have with other brands. They have a pretty good set up time as well. The main thing is, no matter what brand you choose, take your time and you will be happy!

Leave a comment:

• Eric.DeYoung
    started a topic Black Spray Paint - Brands?

Black Spray Paint - Brands?

I'm getting ready to paint my front baffles on my Statement Monitors, and I'm struggling to choose between different brands of spray paint. I know that I don't want to do a gloss or flat finish (fingerprints, scratches, etc.) and that leaves satin and semi-gloss. What brands have you all had luck with for spraying MDF?
Working...
X