Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcing! Jeff Bagby's WB&CD version 4.0 now available for download!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Announcing! Jeff Bagby's WB&CD version 4.0 now available for download!

I am happy to announce the release of the next version of Jeff's great modeling software, the Woofer Box and Circuit Designer. The new release (version 4.0) has some great additional features compared to version 3.2 and is a very versatile package for designing closed box, vented, and passive radiator systems.

I can highly recommend it for designing subwoofers, especially if you want to incorporate the response of a filter (shaping/boost) circuit, such as those found in various plate amps, in to the overall response.

The program models many acoustical and electrical aspects of the driver, including frequency response, impulse response, power required and others.

This software runs in Excel and can be downloaded for free!
    Get the Woofer Box and Circuit Designer version 4.0 here.

-Charlie
    Charlie's Audio Pages: http://audio.claub.net

Re: Announcing! Jeff Bagby's WB&CD version 4.0 now available for download!

Originally posted by charlielaub View Post
    I am happy to announce the release of the next version of Jeff's great modeling software, the Woofer Box and Circuit Designer. The new release (version 4.0) has some great additional features compared to version 3.2 and is a very versatile package for designing closed box, vented, and passive radiator systems.

I can highly recommend it for designing subwoofers, especially if you want to incorporate the response of a filter (shaping/boost) circuit, such as those found in various plate amps, in to the overall response.

The program models many acoustical and electrical aspects of the driver, including frequency response, impulse response, power required and others.

This software runs in Excel and can be downloaded for free!
    Get the Woofer Box and Circuit Designer version 4.0 here.

-Charlie
    Thanks Charlie.

Here are some details on the current version:

The Woofer Box and Circuit Designer 4.0 is an advanced woofer and box design tool using MS Excel. It has a complex box model that can simulate either sealed, vented, or passive radiator box results. However, it also has a filter section that allows you the ability to model a very wide range of filter response shapes. The intent of this program is to give you the tools you need to design a subwoofer using a wide variety of available plate amps, many of which posses varying degrees of equalization or crossover adjustment. The program will model other crossovers, digital processors, and equalizers as well. You may also import a filter transfer function or room response curve that was saved as an frd file from any other software, and this program will incorporate that imported data into the model and its results. The program can be useful for modeling more than just woofers. With it you can model a midrange or tweeter's excursion with a passive or active filter at varying power levels to get an accurate model of the demands on the driver.

The features of the filter section include a five band parametric equalizer, two stage second order high pass filter with adjustable Q (to model boost, and possibly a lower infrasonic filter), a selectable high pass and a selectable low pass filter that offers a number of standard response shapes up to Eighth Order L-R, and a Linkwitz Transform section.

Graphs are provided that show frequency response, phase, impedance, maximum output, 2.83V sensitivity, filter transfer function, cone excursion, passive radiator excursion, vent velocity, group delay (filter, driver, and system), and Impulse Response. All calculations and graphs include the effects from the filter settings selected.

Finally, buttons are available to output final frequency response and phase to an frd file and impedance to a zma file (text files readable by other software). You can save the circuit response as an frd file as well to use in other software if desired. You may also save woofer and box parameters to a session file to build a library of designs, and you can save filter settings to a separate file. This allows you save a particular plate amp's response and use it many different woofers as you design.

You have the ability to change the frequency range to whatever range is desired. This range will then be used for all calculations, graphs, and save files (frd and zma). You may also save any graph at whatever size and shape desired as a small gif file. Also new for Version 4 is a Quick Tuning Utility Bar that allows you to step through incremental changes in Vab, Fb, and other parameters as you view the main graph for quicker tuning of the alignment.

Jeff B.
    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Great job Jeff!

The quick tuning uility bar is a really cool feature! There is a lot of great features in this set of tools, many of which I don't yet understand.:eek:

If you do any box tuning, you really should take a look at it.
      Dan N.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
        Thanks Charlie.

Here are some details on the current version:

The Woofer Box and Circuit Designer 4.0 is an advanced woofer and box design tool using MS Excel. It has a complex box model that can simulate either sealed, vented, or passive radiator box results. However, it also has a filter section that allows you the ability to model a very wide range of filter response shapes. The intent of this program is to give you the tools you need to design a subwoofer using a wide variety of available plate amps, many of which posses varying degrees of equalization or crossover adjustment. The program will model other crossovers, digital processors, and equalizers as well. You may also import a filter transfer function or room response curve that was saved as an frd file from any other software, and this program will incorporate that imported data into the model and its results. The program can be useful for modeling more than just woofers. With it you can model a midrange or tweeter's excursion with a passive or active filter at varying power levels to get an accurate model of the demands on the driver.

The features of the filter section include a five band parametric equalizer, two stage second order high pass filter with adjustable Q (to model boost, and possibly a lower infrasonic filter), a selectable high pass and a selectable low pass filter that offers a number of standard response shapes up to Eighth Order L-R, and a Linkwitz Transform section.

Graphs are provided that show frequency response, phase, impedance, maximum output, 2.83V sensitivity, filter transfer function, cone excursion, passive radiator excursion, vent velocity, group delay (filter, driver, and system), and Impulse Response. All calculations and graphs include the effects from the filter settings selected.

Finally, buttons are available to output final frequency response and phase to an frd file and impedance to a zma file (text files readable by other software). You can save the circuit response as an frd file as well to use in other software if desired. You may also save woofer and box parameters to a session file to build a library of designs, and you can save filter settings to a separate file. This allows you save a particular plate amp's response and use it many different woofers as you design.

You have the ability to change the frequency range to whatever range is desired. This range will then be used for all calculations, graphs, and save files (frd and zma). You may also save any graph at whatever size and shape desired as a small gif file. Also new for Version 4 is a Quick Tuning Utility Bar that allows you to step through incremental changes in Vab, Fb, and other parameters as you view the main graph for quicker tuning of the alignment.

Jeff B.
        I just downloaded looks quite nice. Thanks Jeff.
        Dave

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
        If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran

Comment

Thanks, Jeff and Charlie. This will be a very useful tool for incorporating various filter effects into the modeled driver response.

Comment

For some reason I'm only getting the Total SPL function to work (black line). None of the other graphs are working. I have Excel 2003 and have updated to SP 3. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by dwigle View Post
              For some reason I'm only getting the Total SPL function to work (black line). None of the other graphs are working. I have Excel 2003 and have updated to SP 3. Any ideas?
              Yes. Here is a paste from the webpage: ".....and must have the Analysis Toolpak installed in the add-ins". I have received several inquiries from people who can't get the program to work. So far, this has been the reason in all cases. While in Excel you must go to Tools, Add-ins, and check Analysis Toolpak, and Analysis Toolpak VBA. Then close Excel and reopen the program. Everything should work then.

Jeff B.

Comment

It pukes in Office 2007...

Hitting the Boxmode button causes runtime error '1004', with a message about font size having to be between 1 and 409. If you change the font size from 14 to 10 in the Boxmode subroutine it will work. Or you can just comment out those 3 lines (.Size = 14, for all three box modes). I tried it on two different machines. It actually changes the font on the button after the error message, so it looks like an Excel 2007 bug.
                Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

Checking the add-ins boxes worked, Thanks

Comment

Re: It pukes in Office 2007...

Originally posted by neildavis View Post
                    Hitting the Boxmode button causes runtime error '1004', with a message about font size having to be between 1 and 409. If you change the font size from 14 to 10 in the Boxmode subroutine it will work. Or you can just comment out those 3 lines (.Size = 14, for all three box modes). I tried it on two different machines. It actually changes the font on the button after the error message, so it looks like an Excel 2007 bug.
                    I suppose this would the case for other buttons as well. So, you're saying everything will run in Office 2007 if this change is made?

You know, it's a little unsettling how you just bypass all of my security code ;)

Jeff

Comment

So, you're saying everything will run in Office 2007 if this change is made?
                      I think that's true. I just tried all of the other buttons and they didn't give a runtime error.

You know, it's a little unsettling how you just bypass all of my security code ;) Jeff
                      I appreciate that you provided the challenge :D
                      Unfortunately, Excel 2003 security is very weak. That's one of the improvements in Excel 2007: you can save the application as a binary workbook and keep out those annoying hackers. I tried saving it that way and only got about 8 errors that looked like they would be fairly easy to fix. Maybe I'll look at it some more, since I am already familiar with the code.

I guess I've always enjoyed the challenge of getting past locks. When I was in college I discovered that you can take apart a deadbolt lock from a bathroom door and grind down your key so the master pins fit flush. That way, you can make a master for the building or a grand master for the complex. Of course, I would never do such a thing... :o
                      Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

Originally posted by neildavis View Post
                        I think that's true. I just tried all of the other buttons and they didn't give a runtime error.

I appreciate that you provided the challenge :D
                        Unfortunately, Excel 2003 security is very weak. That's one of the improvements in Excel 2007: you can save the application as a binary workbook and keep out those annoying hackers. I tried saving it that way and only got about 8 errors that looked like they would be fairly easy to fix. Maybe I'll look at it some more, since I am already familiar with the code.

I guess I've always enjoyed the challenge of getting past locks. When I was in college I discovered that you can take apart a deadbolt lock from a bathroom door and grind down your key so the master pins fit flush. That way, you can make a master for the building or a grand master for the complex. Of course, I would never do such a thing... :o
                        Does PCD run in 2007?

Comment

Does PCD run in 2007?
                          Yep. Both Excel programs run in "compatibility mode". When Office 2007 first came out the "compatibility mode" was *very* slow and quirky. However, SP1 fixed the speed problem--there was a huge jump in performance (over 5 times the speed for most operations). Since SP1 there have been numerous updates, and my guess is that an up-to-date 2007 will provide comparable performance to Excel 2003 for PCD.

I don't have a clue why that boxmode button doesn't behave properly. I tried doing a search for that error message but didn't find anything relevant. It looks like that is the only compatibility problem.

Comment

Working...
                          X