Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"InDIYana 2009" *Official* Head/Project-Count thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "InDIYana 2009" *Official* Head/Project-Count thread...

NK - It was Aurora College (Aurora, IL) back in the 70's but is now classified as a University. The physics dept got a number of NSF grants back then so we had, in some cases, better lab equipment that IIT (Chicago) from which I got my MS. Had equipment to perform NMR, a 2 meter visible spectrometer, got to bring a 100 milliwatt reactor up to critical (at Argonne Nat. Lab) x-ray diffraction and other stuff. Had our students begin construction on a 0.25 MEV linear accelerator but then left for industry. No idea if it was ever completed but I do not think it was.

I had a research grant from the Research Corporation to study electromagnetic flux compression, could generate 1 megagauss fields for 2 to 5 microseconds using the current from a 20,000 volt capacitor bank (about 100,000 amps short circuit). Produced quire a BANG when discharged. But that was then and now is now.

Regarding SR. Have you ever heard of Dr. Carl Menger (IIT math professor) and his "new" approach to calculus (look up the text, "A Modern Approach to Calculus", you may find it VERY interesting). Among other things the notation is a VAST improvement over good old Newton. Using that notation I derived the Lorentz-Fitzgerald time-space contractions in 17 pages, IN INK :eek: (my advisor did all of his work in ink) with no corrections. I am no Einstine but the Menger notation is so transparent that it literally "leads you by the hand" through the derivation. I still have my class notes from Mengers class as well as the L-F contraction calculation (just cannot throw them away).

Enough of my ramblings. :D

George
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." - Edward Hoagland

Comment

Originally posted by framus View Post
      Glad to hear it, Doug. I won't impose myself for dinner, but I hope we can chat someplace. Do they still have that expresso machine at the college Forum?
      Dennis,
      I'm sure we can head over to the Joe Rosenfeild center, the Forum is now pretty much a big computer lab. The campus has changed so much in just the ten years or so that I have been in the area. If the weather is nice when you are here we can grab some coffee from the Joe and take a tour of the campus. The new science building is just amazing. Its had three major upgrades since about 1988. They have some new dorms on campus, a new gym and are in the process of building a new indoor pool and indoor track.

Doug
      http://dpeterson.home.mchsi.com/

I just checked and my "give a damn" is broke :D

Comment

Originally posted by DougP View Post
        Dennis,
        I'm sure we can head over to the Joe Rosenfeild center, the Forum is now pretty much a big computer lab. The campus has changed so much in just the ten years or so that I have been in the area. If the weather is nice when you are here we can grab some coffee from the Joe and take a tour of the campus. The new science building is just amazing. Its had three major upgrades since about 1988. They have some new dorms on campus, a new gym and are in the process of building a new indoor pool and indoor track.

Doug
        Hi I would love to see what's inside some of those new buildings--I'll get back to you closer to the 29th. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by moosespeaker View Post
          NK - It was Aurora College (Aurora, IL) back in the 70's but is now classified as a University. The physics dept got a number of NSF grants back then so we had, in some cases, better lab equipment that IIT (Chicago) from which I got my MS. Had equipment to perform NMR, a 2 meter visible spectrometer, got to bring a 100 milliwatt reactor up to critical (at Argonne Nat. Lab) x-ray diffraction and other stuff. Had our students begin construction on a 0.25 MEV linear accelerator but then left for industry. No idea if it was ever completed but I do not think it was.

I had a research grant from the Research Corporation to study electromagnetic flux compression, could generate 1 megagauss fields for 2 to 5 microseconds using the current from a 20,000 volt capacitor bank (about 100,000 amps short circuit). Produced quire a BANG when discharged. But that was then and now is now.

Regarding SR. Have you ever heard of Dr. Carl Menger (IIT math professor) and his "new" approach to calculus (look up the text, "A Modern Approach to Calculus", you may find it VERY interesting). Among other things the notation is a VAST improvement over good old Newton. Using that notation I derived the Lorentz-Fitzgerald time-space contractions in 17 pages, IN INK :eek: (my advisor did all of his work in ink) with no corrections. I am no Einstine but the Menger notation is so transparent that it literally "leads you by the hand" through the derivation. I still have my class notes from Mengers class as well as the L-F contraction calculation (just cannot throw them away).

Enough of my ramblings. :D

George

Cool! I'll look that up... Expect a Physics/Calc PM at sometime...

NK
          I'm just that guy. www.sru.edu Rock Solid.

"It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion."

L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Comment

i just filled out the survey on the homepage. its a 3 hour bike trip for me from Mi. and i would love to meet and greet and see in person some of the builds. i won't have anything finished by then, at least ready to share with anybody that is but i could really draw some inspiration from an event like this.

hopefully the weather will comply with my wishes for a dry roadtrip lol.
            david golemba
            chesterfield michigan

Comment

Originally posted by gorbs View Post
              i just filled out the survey on the homepage. its a 3 hour bike trip for me from Mi. and i would love to meet and greet and see in person some of the builds. i won't have anything finished by then, at least ready to share with anybody that is but i could really draw some inspiration from an event like this.

hopefully the weather will comply with my wishes for a dry roadtrip lol.

It'll be a pleasure to have you there. I hope for some good weather!

Comment

Would anyone be willing to bring in a tube amp?

Comment

Originally posted by brianpowers27 View Post
                  Would anyone be willing to bring in a tube amp?
                  We won't have time for that until later, but after the door-prizes we should be able to squeeze it in. It's just too much setup time to swap, etc.
                  Later,
                  Wolf
                  "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                  "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                  "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                  https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Hey Brian/Wolf - You can take me off the list for InDIYana - I'll be there, but I'm not planning on "auditioning" my plasma tweeter. I may still bring it just for fun, but you don't have to reserve a time slot for me. There is a (small) chance that I'll have my Statement Monitors done by then, but I'm stuck waiting on my dad to bring me down some bar clamps!

Can't wait though, it'll be my first DIY meet, and I'm excited!!!

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Eric.DeYoung View Post
                      Hey Brian/Wolf - You can take me off the list for InDIYana - I'll be there, but I'm not planning on "auditioning" my plasma tweeter. I may still bring it just for fun, but you don't have to reserve a time slot for me. There is a (small) chance that I'll have my Statement Monitors done by then, but I'm stuck waiting on my dad to bring me down some bar clamps!

Can't wait though, it'll be my first DIY meet, and I'm excited!!!

Eric
                      Glad to hear you're anxious! I'm really getting the adrenaline rushing over it too.....
                      I'll note the change above, and bring it even if you don't hook it up....
                      Later,
                      Wolf
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

I'm still bumming about not having my monitors done yet to bring with me. Crossover mounted, foam installed, wired and ready for the back piece. After that its veneer, paint, and finish and they'll be done! Oh well... maybe I'll have them done for another DIY meet :-)
                        And I'll be sure to bring the tweeter, it is neat - I'll have to dust it off though!

Can't Wait,
                        Eric

Comment

Eric,

We're very tolerant of "naked" speakers. If they make music, bring 'em. :D
                          Mongo only pawn in game of life
                          ____
                          Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                            We won't have time for that until later, but after the door-prizes we should be able to squeeze it in. It's just too much setup time to swap, etc.
                            Later,
                            Wolf
                            Believe it or not. I have yet to hear a hi-fi tube amp. I would be happy to listen in any setting. I agree that we will be using the same equipment throughout the main speaker auditions.

Comment

Originally posted by brianpowers27 View Post
                              Believe it or not. I have yet to hear a hi-fi tube amp. I would be happy to listen in any setting. I agree that we will be using the same equipment throughout the main speaker auditions.
                              We have had a few at the events over the last few years. We had one at the first InDIYana by a commercial seller of them, and while the mids were warm and the tweeters "soft" sounding, the bass had nowhere near the control SS amps have. It was sloppy down low, and this was a high-power tube-amp of somewhere around 50W or so stereo.

We had another at Dayton one year, and either it had a microphonic issue in the left channel, or something else. I really can't judge that one from my experience.

Don't flame me guys for being a SS guy....
                              Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

That tube amp at the first InDIYana was a monster in size and weight but it put out only about 10 wpc as I recall and it cost a bunch of bucks!
                                Paul

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                                We have had a few at the events over the last few years. We had one at the first InDIYana by a commercial seller of them, and while the mids were warm and the tweeters "soft" sounding, the bass had nowhere near the control SS amps have. It was sloppy down low, and this was a high-power tube-amp of somewhere around 50W or so stereo.

We had another at Dayton one year, and either it had a microphonic issue in the left channel, or something else. I really can't judge that one from my experience.

Don't flame me guys for being a SS guy....
                                Wolf

Comment

Working...
                                X