Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"InDIYana 2009"; Final pre-thread, 9 days to go....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "InDIYana 2009"; Final pre-thread, 9 days to go....

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    I don't know of anyone that has that, so while being a decent idea, it might not be doable, especially at this time so close to the event.

I *still* can't place who you are from Dayton, so I'll have to be sure and remember you this time, okay?

CU there,
    Wolf
    One of the event sponsors does mic calibration, suggest to them to bring their calibration device and give us "show special" pricing.

I didn't bring speakers to the Dayton event, I was there briefly and took pictures which I put up on a web page.

It probably looked as though I came with two kids - one was my (then) four year old son Ryu and the other was my little Japanese wife (who's 27 but could prob. pass for a jr. high school girl).
    "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

Hey Wolf!

Any desire or need for subwoofer equalization? I can bring my BFD & RoomEQ setup if you think the room has any nasties. Wouldn't take more than 1/2hr on Friday night to get it optimized.

Comment

Originally posted by shawn_a View Post
        Even though Mark isn't making the trip I still owe ya a round or so, Dirk. Bring your spare liver.
        No Mark? Damnable shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk
          Any desire or need for subwoofer equalization? I can bring my BFD & RoomEQ setup if you think the room has any nasties. Wouldn't take more than 1/2hr on Friday night to get it optimized.
          That sounds like a good idea. I am under the impression that we are using Jeff B.'s sub. I am not sure if that will eb available before Sat AM.

I posted a new thread with details about the Friday night meet & greet. (Bring your livers...) http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=210664

Comment

Originally posted by brianpowers27 View Post
            That sounds like a good idea. I am under the impression that we are using Jeff B.'s sub. I am not sure if that will eb available before Sat AM.

I posted a new thread with details about the Friday night meet & greet. (Bring your livers...) http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=210664
            If my wife can do without equalized subwoofage for the night, I'll grab it anyway. Doesn't really cost me anything to do so!

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk View Post
              If my wife can do without equalized subwoofage for the night, I'll grab it anyway. Doesn't really cost me anything to do so!
              I assume you can bring the computer, mic and preamp?

Comment

I assume you can bring the computer, mic and preamp?
                You betcha. And tripod.

Comment

Since it never hurts to ask, may I assume that general attendance is not limited, only speaker demos?

I realized yesterday that since we're visiting my in-laws in Wooster OH this weekend, I'm already half way to Auburn. I'm planning to make it a day trip on Saturday, barring the unforeseen, arriving a bit late and leaving earlier than I'd like. I realize I'll miss a lot of the associated socializing, but a first DIY event will be a learning experience, regardless.

Is that OK?
                  Frank

Comment

Originally posted by fbov View Post
                    Since it never hurts to ask, may I assume that general attendance is not limited, only speaker demos?

Is that OK?
                    Frank
                    Attendance is not limited. We look forward to seeing you there.

Comment

It just occurred to me, having never demo'd before, that I should bring some suitable audition music. What works best for this? I imagine that short clips of a variety would be good. Any thoughts on genre? Personally, I'm pretty limited to classical and a small selection of jazz. Does classical work OK? For expediency, should I burn a CD of the clips so I'm not dealing with swapping CDs?

Let's see, 28 or so projects and, perhaps 6 or 7 hours... about 10 to 15 minutes of audition time each including setup, right?

Now, where is that 'The Planets' CD?

Oh, and what's some good software for copying clips to a CD, preferably with no loss?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ebert View Post
                        It just occurred to me, having never demo'd before, that I should bring some suitable audition music. What works best for this? I imagine that short clips of a variety would be good. Any thoughts on genre? Personally, I'm pretty limited to classical and a small selection of jazz. Does classical work OK? For expediency, should I burn a CD of the clips so I'm not dealing with swapping CDs?

Let's see, 28 or so projects and, perhaps 6 or 7 hours... about 10 to 15 minutes of audition time each including setup, right?

Now, where is that 'The Planets' CD?

Oh, and what's some good software for copying clips to a CD, preferably with no loss?
                        Just pick some good music that you enjoy. You don't have to use your own tracks. SHould you choose, you have room for 4 tracks/4minutes. I personally will pick some tracks that cover some of the styles that I listen to and test speakers well.

Wolf and I have put together a standard 6 song set and an optional 4 song set. The songs include a variety of music ranging from Nickel Creek to Classical. There is no rap, metal or electronic music on either set. I will likely choose one rock, one electronic, one solo instrumental and something else.

Some people choose songs for different reasons such as songs that show off the woofers ability to handle peaks or smoothness of tweeter. It is all up to you.

I usually use DBpoweramp for ripping the files into wav. I then use Goldwave for editing the tracks. Usually the tracks are 1 minute each. The speaker auditions should be no more than 15 minutes each. This includes the setup, introduction and teardown.

P.S. Wolf may have posted the songlist somewhere around here.

Comment

Originally posted by critofur View Post
                          One of the event sponsors does mic calibration, suggest to them to bring their calibration device and give us "show special" pricing.

I didn't bring speakers to the Dayton event, I was there briefly and took pictures which I put up on a web page.

It probably looked as though I came with two kids - one was my (then) four year old son Ryu and the other was my little Japanese wife (who's 27 but could prob. pass for a jr. high school girl).
                          Thing is, usually, none of the vendors attend. The only one attending is Mark from Meniscus, so I doubt that'll happen.

I probably did miss you then.
                          Later,
                          Wolf
                          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                          https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk View Post
                            Hey Wolf!

I won't have the regular-rig there Friday night. Brian and Petey are bringing room-treatments, so I don't know how much trouble we'll have. Normally these venues exhibit "room-boom", and maybe we can avoid that this year with said devices.

Does the BFD have RCA-ins? I know the amp has XLR ins, and we're using adapters on the 1/4" inputs for RCA. I suppose I'll have to discuss this with Brian first...

With that said you can bring them, but I'm not certain what we'll do in their regard. While it would be nice, I think it might be too much of a hassle. We'll see.
                            Later,
                            Wolf
                            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Just pick some good music that you enjoy. You don't have to use your own tracks. SHould you choose, you have room for 4 tracks/4minutes. I personally will pick some tracks that cover some of the styles that I listen to and test speakers well.

Wolf and I have put together a standard 6 song set and an optional 4 song set. The songs include a variety of music ranging from Nickel Creek to Classical. There is no rap, metal or electronic music on either set. I will likely choose one rock, one electronic, one solo instrumental and something else.

Some people choose songs for different reasons such as songs that show off the woofers ability to handle peaks or smoothness of tweeter. It is all up to you.

I usually use DBpoweramp for ripping the files into wav. I then use Goldwave for editing the tracks. Usually the tracks are 1 minute each. The speaker auditions should be no more than 15 minutes each. This includes the setup, introduction and teardown.

P.S. Wolf may have posted the songlist somewhere around here.
                              Brian-
                              No I didn't. It's the element of surprise when we "drag" the speakers for demo. I did post that they would be revealed the day-of at the event. Thanks for letting one slip... :rolleyes:

Paul-
                              4 minutes is what you can utilize. Every pair will play the 6 tracks the same, and then you can either finish with 4 minutes of your own or use the remainder of the event-disc for your demo. It's your call.
                              FWIW, I still use MusicMatch, and record with clips set in .wav-mode. The tracks on the disc are done this way. I would recommend a snip of your choosing, or just from the beginning. 1 minute each for 4 cuts, or a 4 minute selection is your call.
                              I guess that is what Brian already stated above. Oops.
                              Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                                I won't have the regular-rig there Friday night. Brian and Petey are bringing room-treatments, so I don't know how much trouble we'll have. Normally these venues exhibit "room-boom", and maybe we can avoid that this year with said devices.

Does the BFD have RCA-ins? I know the amp has XLR ins, and we're using adapters on the 1/4" inputs for RCA. I suppose I'll have to discuss this with Brian first...

With that said you can bring them, but I'm not certain what we'll do in their regard. While it would be nice, I think it might be too much of a hassle. We'll see.
                                Later,
                                Wolf
                                There is only one way I can see this setup working. If we attempt things, the setup would have to be done very early Saturday morning.

The amp has both 1/4" and XLR jacks. We could always try adapters, if we don't have noise issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X