Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"InDIYana 2009"; Final pre-thread, 9 days to go....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolf
    replied
    Re: "InDIYana 2009"; Final pre-thread, 9 days to go....

Originally posted by Taterworks View Post
    Unfortunately, I was not able to make it today to the event, because my grandfather passed away last week. He supported me through the earliest days of my speaker-building hobby through letting me use his workshop and teaching me to use the power tools to produce the results I wanted, but he also invested in me and his other grandchildren in other ways that will pay forward in the future. He will be sadly missed by everyone in my family.
    Sorry to hear that, Rory! I did wonder where you were. May you be comforted in your time of sorrow.
    I'm sorry for your loss,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Taterworks
    replied

Unfortunately, I was not able to make it today to the event, because my grandfather passed away last week. He supported me through the earliest days of my speaker-building hobby through letting me use his workshop and teaching me to use the power tools to produce the results I wanted, but he also invested in me and his other grandchildren in other ways that will pay forward in the future. He will be sadly missed by everyone in my family.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by jkim View Post
    Hi Wolf and Brian,

I'm afraid that I can't attend the meeting. I thought my job search would end by mid April. This year's job market---both academic and industry---is awful. I hope everyone will have a wonderful time. I envy you!

-jAy
    Sorry to hear that! You'll be missed. Maybe next year....
    Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• jkim
    replied

Hi Wolf and Brian,

I'm afraid that I can't attend the meeting. I thought my job search would end by mid April. This year's job market---both academic and industry---is awful. I hope everyone will have a wonderful time. I envy you!

-jAy

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by Mark65 View Post
    I was, but this work trip came up at the last minute. I'm actually closer, (WV), but unable to make the trip due to work constraints. I've been walking around in a funk for the last few days, knowing that this would (should) be my time for travel prep, and nervous (but fun) anticipation. Instead, I'm languishing in a motel room, impotently wishing that I could get there. But the fact is, I can't. And I've not been so bummed about something since my divorce. And the kicker: Second wife is absolutely AWESOME, and I've been apart from her for a month now.:eek:

But hey, you do what you gotta do, right?:rolleyes:

Everyone who's attending: HAVE FUN!!!

Mark
    I assure you that we will have fun! However, it will be a 'hard-spot in the ticker' that you aren't present.
    Hope to meet you some other time,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Mark65
    replied

I was, but this work trip came up at the last minute. I'm actually closer, (WV), but unable to make the trip due to work constraints. I've been walking around in a funk for the last few days, knowing that this would (should) be my time for travel prep, and nervous (but fun) anticipation. Instead, I'm languishing in a motel room, impotently wishing that I could get there. But the fact is, I can't. And I've not been so bummed about something since my divorce. And the kicker: Second wife is absolutely AWESOME, and I've been apart from her for a month now.:eek:

But hey, you do what you gotta do, right?:rolleyes:

Everyone who's attending: HAVE FUN!!!

Mark

Leave a comment:

• donparsons
    replied

Originally posted by Mark65 View Post
    That it is, my friend, that it is. I am SERIOUSLY bent that I can't make it, but there's that whole feed the family thing to consider. I'll be there in spirit, if such a thing is possible. ARRRGH! I'm so bummed out to not be there!

Please, Dirk and Shawn, hoist one (or four:D) for me, willya?

Mark
    Bummer, I thought you were all set for the trip. Sorry to hear you won't be making the trrek. :(

Leave a comment:

• Mark65
    replied

Originally posted by Dirk View Post
    No Mark? Damnable shame.
    That it is, my friend, that it is. I am SERIOUSLY bent that I can't make it, but there's that whole feed the family thing to consider. I'll be there in spirit, if such a thing is possible. ARRRGH! I'm so bummed out to not be there!

Please, Dirk and Shawn, hoist one (or four:D) for me, willya?

Mark

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by Paul Ebert View Post
    Does this 4 minutes include setup and takedown time? Also, is there time for those listening to provide feedback? If not, I will probably want to use all of it for that. Or, is feedback provided some other way? I recall from the DIY Daytons I attended, oh, 8 years ago or so, that we filled out evaluation forms, but I think that was part of the competition.

I'm glad we're not doing a competition, but I am very interested in input from others.
    Then I've apparently met you! I have not missed a DIY Dayton show. I'll be glad to see another familiar face!
    Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Dirk
    replied

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    Does the BFD have RCA-ins? I know the amp has XLR ins, and we're using adapters on the 1/4" inputs for RCA. I suppose I'll have to discuss this with Brian first...
    The BFD has 1/4" and XLR. I use 1/4" -> RCA adaptors since the 1/4" accepts both balanced and unbalanced inputs.

Like I said, it doesn't cost me anything to toss it in the back seat.

Leave a comment:

• brianpowers27
    replied

Originally posted by Paul Ebert View Post
    Does this 4 minutes include setup and takedown time? Also, is there time for those listening to provide feedback? If not, I will probably want to use all of it for that. Or, is feedback provided some other way? I recall from the DIY Daytons I attended, oh, 8 years ago or so, that we filled out evaluation forms, but I think that was part of the competition.

I'm glad we're not doing a competition, but I am very interested in input from others.
    We are not formally doing feedback forms. I would encourage you to state your intent for feedback during the introduction. People could fill out a feeback form and then discuss it with you later.

Time Slot Breakdown: ( Total < 15min)
    --Setup
    --Introduction
    --Required songs = 6min
    --optional songs = 4min
    --Teardown

Leave a comment:

• Paul Ebert
    replied
    Re: &quot;InDIYana 2009&quot;; Final pre-thread, 9 days to go....

4 minutes is what you can utilize. Every pair will play the 6 tracks the same, and then you can either finish with 4 minutes of your own or use the remainder of the event-disc for your demo. It's your call.

Leave a comment:

• brianpowers27
    replied

I won't have the regular-rig there Friday night. Brian and Petey are bringing room-treatments, so I don't know how much trouble we'll have. Normally these venues exhibit "room-boom", and maybe we can avoid that this year with said devices.

Does the BFD have RCA-ins? I know the amp has XLR ins, and we're using adapters on the 1/4" inputs for RCA. I suppose I'll have to discuss this with Brian first...

With that said you can bring them, but I'm not certain what we'll do in their regard. While it would be nice, I think it might be too much of a hassle. We'll see.
    Later,
    Wolf
    There is only one way I can see this setup working. If we attempt things, the setup would have to be done very early Saturday morning.

The amp has both 1/4" and XLR jacks. We could always try adapters, if we don't have noise issues.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by brianpowers27 View Post
    Just pick some good music that you enjoy. You don't have to use your own tracks. SHould you choose, you have room for 4 tracks/4minutes. I personally will pick some tracks that cover some of the styles that I listen to and test speakers well.

Wolf and I have put together a standard 6 song set and an optional 4 song set. The songs include a variety of music ranging from Nickel Creek to Classical. There is no rap, metal or electronic music on either set. I will likely choose one rock, one electronic, one solo instrumental and something else.

Some people choose songs for different reasons such as songs that show off the woofers ability to handle peaks or smoothness of tweeter. It is all up to you.

I usually use DBpoweramp for ripping the files into wav. I then use Goldwave for editing the tracks. Usually the tracks are 1 minute each. The speaker auditions should be no more than 15 minutes each. This includes the setup, introduction and teardown.

P.S. Wolf may have posted the songlist somewhere around here.
    Brian-
    No I didn't. It's the element of surprise when we "drag" the speakers for demo. I did post that they would be revealed the day-of at the event. Thanks for letting one slip... :rolleyes:

Paul-
    4 minutes is what you can utilize. Every pair will play the 6 tracks the same, and then you can either finish with 4 minutes of your own or use the remainder of the event-disc for your demo. It's your call.
    FWIW, I still use MusicMatch, and record with clips set in .wav-mode. The tracks on the disc are done this way. I would recommend a snip of your choosing, or just from the beginning. 1 minute each for 4 cuts, or a 4 minute selection is your call.
    I guess that is what Brian already stated above. Oops.
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by Dirk View Post
    Hey Wolf!

Any desire or need for subwoofer equalization? I can bring my BFD & RoomEQ setup if you think the room has any nasties. Wouldn't take more than 1/2hr on Friday night to get it optimized.
    I won't have the regular-rig there Friday night. Brian and Petey are bringing room-treatments, so I don't know how much trouble we'll have. Normally these venues exhibit "room-boom", and maybe we can avoid that this year with said devices.

With that said you can bring them, but I'm not certain what we'll do in their regard. While it would be nice, I think it might be too much of a hassle. We'll see.
    Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

Working...
X