How do you all align drivers' holes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you all align drivers' holes?

I am contemplating buying a set of vix bits (used often for door hinges) to help align the drivers' holes when mounted on the baffle.

Can I please hear what techniques you all use to ensure perfect alignment?

Re: How do you all align drivers' holes?

Originally posted by tf1216 View Post
    I am contemplating buying a set of vix bits (used often for door hinges) to help align the drivers' holes when mounted on the baffle.

Can I please hear what techniques you all use to ensure perfect alignment?
    Mark the center with a bradpoint drill bit, sized for slip fit in clearance hole, for marking the hole center only, not for drilling. Switch to an appropriate size for drilling.
    "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
    of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
    - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
    A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
    (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

I always measure and mark the hole then center punch the MDF and use a 1/8 bit in a drill press then get after it with a jasper jig. I measure the OD of the driver (make sure and measure in multiple places on the frame I find they vary quite a bit) then divide by 2 and add .0625 (for half the 1/8" jasper jig pin) then add whatever clearance you want (I add .005) then set you calipers to that value and flip your router over and make the distance from the outside of the pin to the outside of the cutter that value. leave the 3 screws that hold the jasper jig to your router loose until you have it adjusted right then tighten them and remeasure... you may have to repeat a few times....perfect holes every time. for whatever reason the 1/8 drill bit I use actually measures .123 so when i put the 1/8 jasper jig pin in there its very tight I usually have to tap it in with a hammer. I have had excellent results with this method.

edit: for aligning holes on my BAMTM I measured to the side of the baffles to get everything square/even on both sides then ceter punched with the driver on there. It helped to put the drivers in there facing the wrong way as long as it doesn't hit the surround.
      Last edited by savage25xtreme; 04-09-2009, 11:57 AM. Reason: misunderstood the question

Comment

I'm looking for a better way to align mounting holes too.

Currently I place the driver into the baffle recess, use a pencil to mark the mounting holes (drawing the small mount hole circles) onto the MDF, then carefully use a scratch awl to mark the centers by eye. I follow that up with a centerpunch, than take the baffle to the drill press.

It takes too long, and relies on eyeballing. Still, it hasn't failed yet, but the OP's suggestion of using Vix bits sounds like something I'd like to try.

Maybe I'll stop at Lowe's on the way home tonight. I've got baffles with baffle mounting holes already drilled that I have to match to the cabinets. It's the same problem as marking/drilling driver mounting holes.

Edit: I just thought of something. I already have a set of countersink bits that let me adjust the vertical position of the drill. I MIGHT be able to use these to center the drilled hole in the larger clearance hole. Might be worth a shot as a make-shift centering drill.
        Bill Schneider
        -+-+-+-+-
        www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

Thanks'

Comment

I just used a vix bit recently and it worked just ok. It centered the hole properly but the part that springs back as you apply pressure rotates before you get any real pressure on the bit. The result is scratching up the hole in the driver.

It's not a big problem because the screw heads cover it up but I just didn't like the idea of grinding th paint off the driver.

My vix bits are old - there may be a way to lubricate them to prevent this.

Comment

I have tried to find vix bits at Home Depot. The gentlemen there did not know what I was talking about. I went to a small hardware store and realized what they were for (door hinges) and this knowledge has since helped me find them again.

Comment

after two unsuccessful attempts at mounting drivers to the baffle with the holes predrilled i just gave up and now that is the last thing i do is fit the driver to the baffle after all the routing is done.

this is my first build too so as i get better this practice might change.
                david golemba
                chesterfield michigan

Comment

Originally posted by Texan View Post
                  In the past I have used a set of center punches that are cylindrical all the way down with a small point.
                  I've wanted something like that, but can't find any. The closest thing I found was a dowel centering kit like this one...

Trouble is that the flanges would get in the way.

The brad point drills mentioned above sound promising.

BTW, it looks like most solutions mentioned so far have issues. Looks like there's a potential product (center and drill in one step) here for an entrepreneur.
                  Bill Schneider
                  -+-+-+-+-
                  www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

What about using a transfer punch then drill with a brad point bit? BTW I've noticed the center "point" on cheapie brad points isn't centered very well so it might be worth it to get a good one.

Comment

Hey guys! Mr. Pragmatic here!

What kind of precision are people looking for? Are you really going to notice 1/32" of misalignment?
                      nothing can stop me now

Comment

Originally posted by williamrschneider View Post
                        Looks like there's a potential product (center and drill in one step) here for an entrepreneur.
                        Like this?

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan_M View Post
                          Like this?
                          That's essentially a VIX bit mentioned by the OP. See dwigle's post about how the whole thing rotates in the drill and removes the paint around the hole. It would work though.
                          Bill Schneider
                          -+-+-+-+-
                          www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

Originally posted by williamrschneider View Post
                            I've wanted something like that, but can't find any.
                            I guess you noticed the transfer punches Ryan linked in post #10. This looks like the same set I have. I could not remember what these things were called.
                            Thanks'

Comment

I'm a newbie and doing my 1st build and lining up the driver holes was one of my worries. I've recessed the driver, flared port and plate amp. Then fitted the driver in the recess, found a drill bit that was close to a tight fit and made a pilot hole making sure the driver didn't move at all while drilling each screw hole. Then I used one of them manual drill drill press from Sear's, partially hammered in the tee nuts and pulled the tee nuts thru with the driver in place. It worked but some of the screws still have a bit of a hard time getting started. Now these are 10 x 32 tee nuts and screws so its fine thread. I make sure I don't force the screws to thread at the start as its easy to cross thread them and having one of those tee nuts turn on me would be more trouble than I'd want.

Comment

Working...
                              X