"Sophomores" update....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Sophomores" update....

Well- I finally got around to commencing on the paint job today. They've been nekked since last November. :eek:

I also measured the fill mass to 6.25 oz of polyfil, in the 4.4 ltr box. That is quite a bit in that small box.

Here's a shot of the completed xovers:

Anyway...
    I wanted to try a Krylon Hammered-black finish. I did apply a black-gloss Krylon base-coat first. I also wanted to finish with Valspar clear-red, but it didn't do what I wanted. It did not give me a black finish with reddish-sheen.

I reapplied the Hammered-Black and waited until dry to try something else. This color is kind of like Charcoal in finish, and has a slight metal-chunk look to it. I reapplied finish coats with Duplicolor's "Metalcast Red", meant for valve-covers, etc, and withstands temps up to 500 degrees and is very durable/hard in cure. Let's just say it looks fantastic! Very Ruby-Red in cure. If you apply a top-coat over the Metalcast, do not use lacquer. It will give a stained-glass wrinkled appearance to it, as it reacts with the Metalcast paint. I used Polycrylic without trouble to top-coat it, and it dries clear without reducing the sheen. I can see my reflection in these, and they are BLOOD-RED!!! Hammered-Silver would be a lighter finished color than from the Hammered-Black, as the Metalcast paint is slightly translucent unless you build up a lot of layers.

The other idea I want to try is Hammered-Copper, and the Blue Metalcast paint. That would be different... As far as I know, they only have silver/gold/red/blue. I bought mine at Advanced Auto parts.

I'll have to wait until cured to install the drivers, but these just look incredible! I could stare at the finish for hours, and did for a while, because these look very good and pictures are not doing them justice. The Hammered base-coat added a depth and texture to the finish, as well as dictating how dark the top-color becomes.

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Re: "Sophomores" update....

Wolf:

Wow. Great finish on those speakers! I love the way it shines in the picture around the port roundover. Good work, again.

Did you sand between coats and if so, what grit paper did you use? Also, I know lots of people around here use a glue/water mix or something similar to "seal" the endgrain of the MDF, did you do something similar or just prime over it?

I'm in the middle of painting my RBs and am just curious. My baffles look great but my boxes are showing flaws so any advice is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
      Well- I finally got around to commencing on the paint job today. They've been nekked since last November. :eek:

I also measured the fill mass to 6.25 oz of polyfil, in the 4.4 ltr box. That is quite a bit in that small box.

Here's a shot of the completed xovers:

Anyway...
      I wanted to try a Krylon Hammered-black finish. I did apply a black-gloss Krylon base-coat first. I also wanted to finish with Valspar clear-red, but it didn't do what I wanted. It did not give me a black finish with reddish-sheen.

I reapplied the Hammered-Black and waited until dry to try something else. This color is kind of like Charcoal in finish, and has a slight metal-chunk look to it. I reapplied finish coats with Duplicolor's "Metalcast Red", meant for valve-covers, etc, and withstands temps up to 500 degrees and is very durable/hard in cure. Let's just say it looks fantastic! Very Ruby-Red in cure. If you apply a top-coat over the Metalcast, do not use lacquer. It will give a stained-glass wrinkled appearance to it, as it reacts with the Metalcast paint. I used Polycrylic without trouble to top-coat it, and it dries clear without reducing the sheen. I can see my reflection in these, and they are BLOOD-RED!!! Hammered-Silver would be a lighter finished color than from the Hammered-Black, as the Metalcast paint is slightly translucent unless you build up a lot of layers.

The other idea I want to try is Hammered-Copper, and the Blue Metalcast paint. That would be different... As far as I know, they only have silver/gold/red/blue. I bought mine at Advanced Auto parts.

I'll have to wait until cured to install the drivers, but these just look incredible! I could stare at the finish for hours, and did for a while, because these look very good and pictures are not doing them justice. The Hammered base-coat added a depth and texture to the finish, as well as dictating how dark the top-color becomes.

Later,
      Wolf
      Very Nice! I like that color.
      You did a nice job on the cabinets. I like how you stoped the round over.
      Did you make the boards for your Xovers or did you buy them like that? I noticed the white lines around the components. Did you put those on so you remember the layout or now the size of board?
      Thanks Dave
      http://www.pellegreneacoustics.com/

Trench Seam Method for MDF
      https://picasaweb.google.com/101632266659473725850

Comment

Shiiinnny!

Comment

Dude, those are SCHWEEET!

I'll echo Dave question about the xo boards, looks like a departure from your tried and true pegboard method. I can't wait to see 'em with the drivers back in.

Kudos!

Mark
          You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

You really are the king of the can. So, Wolf, put simply, HOW did you do that? Gloss black undercoat, followed by the Hammered-black, followed by the Metalcast Red?

Can't wait to see these published.

Do you think the truncated roundover is much of a requirement? Or was that just for aesthetics?

Comment

The XO boards are about 3" x 5.25", and 3.5" x 5.25", and were bought that way. PE had a whole box of them for a dollar a piece for a set, so I picked up 2 sets, or 2 pair of speakers. I did not use the layout as it is on the boards however. I had to slightly modify it to connect as I wanted. This is the first project I had that would work with these boards, and I've had them for almost a year now.

As to the finish- Dirk basically has it right.

I always sand between the steps until the finish is smooth, and here is a basic tutorial for my methods:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?b=22

You don't have to build layers with the crystal-clear like I state, but it can help.

Always wait for paint to dry!!! Sometimes this is 24 hrs between coats, depending on the weather.

In this instance, I used straight Elmer's white-glue in the edges. Sand with 150, 220, and 400 grits when dry. I use Norton sandpaper.
              Duplicolor high-build automotive primer, same grits.
              Duplicolor primer sealer, 400g and 1000g. I just started using this with the Vijon project, and it is awesome stuff! I was very surprised how much less paint it took to get a smooth continuous finish.
              Krylon Fusion (really good paint!) gloss black, no sanding this time or further.
              Krylon Fusion Hammered Black.
              Duplicolor Metalcast Red.
              Minwax Polycrylic.

....and wait about 4-5 days before handling, which is the process currently.

The gloss-black was to possibly not require as much of the hammered paint, but it might be omitted.

Thanks for the looks and compliments everybody!
              Wolf
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk View Post
                Do you think the truncated roundover is much of a requirement? Or was that just for aesthetics?
                If you mean the half-rounded sides, then yes. For some reason, the M series drivers (M4n/M5n) model better with the sharp-edges on them. Being that this is the case, I rounded the tweeters' edges because it liked rounded edges. The offsets on the baffles also were very important. This allowed me to get the xover combination easier than the standard arrangement.
                Later,
                Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Nice, Mr. Wolf.
                  That looks like the paint job on a 57 chevy I once saw at a car show several years ago. It looks deep, shiny, and still wet! I like the way you finish your projects off, they keep getting better and better.
                  Just curious, where are they going? Computer setup, or just another set to have around and tinker with?

TomZ
                  Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                  *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

To those of you who have not heard the Sophomores, let me just say that this is probably the best sounding $100 I've ever heard. The M4N is a serious over-performer. While it misses the last half-octave or so on paper, you'd never know it. Wolf keeps doing his magic with the crossover, too. They're obviously not going to peel the paint off the walls with sheer SPL, but these sound very big & very full. They're on my "todo" list.

Comment

Wolf,

Usually your paint schemes are a little "strange" for my taste. But, these look really cool. And as usual I am sure they sound fantastic.

Nice work.
                      DP

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk View Post
                        To those of you who have not heard the Sophomores, let me just say that this is probably the best sounding $100 I've ever heard. The M4N is a serious over-performer. While it misses the last half-octave or so on paper, you'd never know it. Wolf keeps doing his magic with the crossover, too. They're obviously not going to peel the paint off the walls with sheer SPL, but these sound very big & very full. They're on my "todo" list.
                        I did not get to hear these - I wish I had. Wolf does do a very nice job in voicing his crossovers, and getting the most out his drivers.
                        Jeff B.
                        Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

nice finish...but that baffle is what really looks neato to me.

does your camera have an up close macro focus function? ;p

Comment

Wolf, Very very nice paint job. They look a whole lot better than my s**** brown clones. I might just repaint mine, but better yet let James Brown have at them!

I'm still working on my clones XO, still not sure if the brightness is in the M4N or the TN25.

ps: Jeff B., you kind of have hear these speakers, mine sound very much like Wolf's, his are a bit better. Bass wise about the same.

ps: Wolf did the tweeters make it?
                            Ed

Comment

Very cool! Reminds me of my Brother's 'Candy Apple Red' BSA 650.
                              No matter where you go, there you are.
                              Website

Comment

Working...
                              X