Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drivers: Tymphany LAT250-004 (series)/HiVi TM1a (unchambered)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Drivers: Tymphany LAT250-004 (series)/HiVi TM1a (unchambered)

    Calling this combo "NEHD", from the Tymphany pdf on the LAT's; "No Ears Have Died". Thought it was a good case of Engric translation, so I used it!

    Yes- I have pair of LAT250's. Got them today, and the price was just too good to refuse trying one of these different kind of canines. Does it have limited uses? Maybe. Does it have a lot of potential? Possibly. Need some "nitty-gritty"?

    Here you go:





    I can't measure the Vas spec, so I'll have to assume the spec is correct. I did break them in with a range of tones, and the Fs dropped about 10 Hz to where it is here. These do require break-in, as they are stiff! Rudimentary pink-noise and 2.83V yields 88 dB at a meter, so they won't be terribly inefficient in series. From listening, I think I can squeeze 1.2 kHz out of these without sounding bad. Above that, we get a resonance, and we roll off QUICK! The Fs is higher than spec considerably (which should not change in series/parallel configurations), and Qts is higher than expected. Might have to go stuffed-vented with these!

    The TM1a I won from our recent event, and I went ahead and measured them:

    First combo-





    Second combo-





    I used a basic set of HiVi-spec graphs to determine where I thought would be viable xover points:



    This was before I saw the Fs specs of the mids, so It might need at least a 1 kHz point, and the pictured 4 kHz transition. M-T CTC is 3", so that should work. Of course BSC and padding will change levels a bit, but I doubt anything severe should arise except from maybe the M-W transition becoming problematic.

    Being that the Fs of the LAT250 is about 80 Hz, I will be venting these to attempt at least SOME lowend potential.

    If anyone wants .zma's, I can send them out to those interested. I posted my results for the LAT due to curiosity of a lot of fellow members, spec-changes, and the different wiring arrangement results.

    Later, and I hope to model these a bit tonight. Yes- I am actually planning on using these sets of drivers TOGETHER! "NEHD", need I say more?:p:rolleyes:
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

    *InDIYana event website*

    Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

    My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

  • #2
    Re: Drivers: Tymphany LAT250-004 (series)/HiVi TM1a (unchambered)

    Awfully high qts on the LAT's to go vented, isn't it?

    Just askin'

    Mark
    You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

    ~Pink Floyd

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Drivers: Tymphany LAT250-004 (series)/HiVi TM1a (unchambered)

      Sounds like a very neat idea, using these two different looking drivers together! Can't wait to see your baffle layout. Could use two LAT's per box for a real wild look!

      Luck, Ed
      Ed
      ___________________________________________
      If "IFs" and "BUTs" were candy and nuts, everyday would be Christmas!
      _____________________________________________
      My WebSite

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Drivers: Tymphany LAT250-004 (series)/HiVi TM1a (unchambered)

        Originally posted by Mark65 View Post
        Awfully high qts on the LAT's to go vented, isn't it?

        Just askin'

        Mark
        Mark-
        I also did this with the Sophomores. The M4N had a Qts in that neighborhood as well, and people love how they sound.

        Normally this is frowned upon, but trying to get a $35 woofer to go lower than 72 Hz should be a priority. I'll just pack them solid like I did the Sophomores.

        BTW- it's good to know you're learning! I don't know that you'd have caught that a little while ago....
        We'll see,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

        *InDIYana event website*

        Photobucket pages:
        https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

        My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Drivers: Tymphany LAT250-004 (series)/HiVi TM1a (unchambered)

          Originally posted by Froste View Post
          Sounds like a very neat idea, using these two different looking drivers together! Can't wait to see your baffle layout. Could use two LAT's per box for a real wild look!

          Luck, Ed
          It'd look like a double-barrell shotgun if you used 2. I didn't want to spend that much on these.

          The good thing is: No Z-offset!
          Straight vertical alignment TMW with a large-chamfer on the vertical edges, rounded top edge. Semicircular port at the bottom front.

          Looks like 15 ltrs, tuned to 55 Hz gets me 60 Hz F3. Factor in BSC, and maybe some series resistance, and that figure could be pushed a touch lower.

          I have the files traced, but need to RM/PCD yet.

          Later,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

          *InDIYana event website*

          Photobucket pages:
          https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

          My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Drivers: Tymphany LAT250-004 (series)/HiVi TM1a (unchambered)

            Originally posted by Wolf View Post
            Calling this combo "NEHD", from the Tymphany pdf on the LAT's; "No Ears Have Died". Thought it was a good case of Engric translation, so I used it!
            Seriously?

            ROTFL:D

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Drivers: Tymphany LAT250-004 (series)/HiVi TM1a (unchambered)

              Wolf - While I assume you are designing for music listening, this combination could produce an interesting looking HT system if two LAT's were used.

              Sealed L/R enclosures (TMWW) could be about 6 1/2 wide by 30 something high and crossed to a sub for the low bass. The center channel could place the TM1A between the LAT's (vented for better FR) in an enclosure about 7 1/4 x 30. I did a full size enlargement of these speakers for the tower and CC. Both look very different due to the LAT's placed end to end for the L/R enclosurers. Likewise for the CC as the woofers are on either side of the mid range speaker. Enclosure depths are reasonable if your estimate of 15 liters per LAT is close.

              With the T and M in a standard vertical alignment the "problems" associated with the horizontal MTM placement would appear to be minimized (eliminated) for the CC.

              Not an inexpensive approach however, speaker cost would be about $ 350.00. XO's - $ 150 to 200???

              Assuming the LAT's are in series, i.e., 8 ohms, is that a significant problem for the XO design as the TM1A speakers are 4-5 ohms.

              George
              "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." - Edward Hoagland

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Drivers: Tymphany LAT250-004 (series)/HiVi TM1a (unchambered)

                Originally posted by moosespeaker View Post
                Wolf - While I assume you are designing for music listening, this combination could produce an interesting looking HT system if two LAT's were used.

                Sealed L/R enclosures (TMWW) could be about 6 1/2 wide by 30 something high and crossed to a sub for the low bass. The center channel could place the TM1A between the LAT's (vented for better FR) in an enclosure about 7 1/4 x 30. I did a full size enlargement of these speakers for the tower and CC. Both look very different due to the LAT's placed end to end for the L/R enclosurers. Likewise for the CC as the woofers are on either side of the mid range speaker. Enclosure depths are reasonable if your estimate of 15 liters per LAT is close.

                With the T and M in a standard vertical alignment the "problems" associated with the horizontal MTM placement would appear to be minimized (eliminated) for the CC.

                Not an inexpensive approach however, speaker cost would be about $ 350.00. XO's - $ 150 to 200???

                Assuming the LAT's are in series, i.e., 8 ohms, is that a significant problem for the XO design as the TM1A speakers are 4-5 ohms.

                George
                While I agree with you, George, I also am aware of the price you stated. I didn't want to buy 4 of them.

                The impedance won't be a problem, as long as I don't get a low impedance summation between the M-T. I know I'll have to pad a bit, so that should keep things reasonable. I don't normally have a flat impedance anyway.
                Later,
                Wolf
                Last edited by Wolf; 04-29-2009, 01:08 PM. Reason: slip...
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

                *InDIYana event website*

                Photobucket pages:
                https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

                My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Drivers: Tymphany LAT250-004 (series)/HiVi TM1a (unchambered)

                  Maybe this box could take advantage of your old rattling Aperiodic vent...?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Drivers: Tymphany LAT250-004 (series)/HiVi TM1a (unchambered)

                    Originally posted by brianpowers27 View Post
                    Maybe this box could take advantage of your old rattling Aperiodic vent...?
                    Nah! I like the look of the port! :D
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

                    *InDIYana event website*

                    Photobucket pages:
                    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

                    My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Drivers: Tymphany LAT250-004 (series)/HiVi TM1a (unchambered)

                      Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                      Nah! I like the look of the port! :D
                      Wolf
                      Do you think you'll do anything exotic with the port (Think Canvas...)?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Drivers: Tymphany LAT250-004 (series)/HiVi TM1a (unchambered)

                        OTOH if we KISS and KIRI (Keep It Relatively Inexpensive) a vertical arrangement with a slot port below the LAT has an interesting visual appeal (to me anyway).

                        One could fit it on a 5 3/4 wide baffle. Using your 15 liters the internal dimensions yield a rather tall narrow "tube" (4 3/4 x 18 x 12 deep) which may act like a resonator.

                        George
                        "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." - Edward Hoagland

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Drivers: Tymphany LAT250-004 (series)/HiVi TM1a (unchambered)

                          Originally posted by moosespeaker View Post
                          OTOH if we KISS and KIRI (Keep It Relatively Inexpensive) a vertical arrangement with a slot port below the LAT has an interesting visual appeal (to me anyway).

                          One could fit it on a 5 3/4 wide baffle. Using your 15 liters the internal dimensions yield a rather tall narrow "tube" (4 3/4 x 18 x 12 deep) which may act like a resonator.

                          George
                          George,

                          Maybe you can build it and then have it be your signature!;)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Drivers: Tymphany LAT250-004 (series)/HiVi TM1a (unchambered)

                            Originally posted by moosespeaker View Post
                            OTOH if we KISS and KIRI (Keep It Relatively Inexpensive) a vertical arrangement with a slot port below the LAT has an interesting visual appeal (to me anyway).

                            One could fit it on a 5 3/4 wide baffle. Using your 15 liters the internal dimensions yield a rather tall narrow "tube" (4 3/4 x 18 x 12 deep) which may act like a resonator.

                            George
                            I'm planning an external of (HWD) 22" x 7" x 9.75" with 3/4" MDF.

                            The port will be half a 3" diameter PVC or cardboard tube, semicircular like stated prior, flat on the inside bottom with 1/2" or 3/4" roundover on the external.

                            Later,
                            Wolf
                            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

                            *InDIYana event website*

                            Photobucket pages:
                            https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

                            My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Drivers: Tymphany LAT250-004 (series)/HiVi TM1a (unchambered)

                              Glad to see u got yourself a pair.

                              I still need to do something with mine... After seeing your measurments and comparing them to mine, im saddend that this thing doesn't extend as low as I wanted it to.

                              I will either use it as a sub, in this bose buster project I have been thinking about doing for a LONG time, or purchase another one and place one in each door of my car and have some really cool looking midbasses in my doors... Muhahaha... Assuming i get my car running lol...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X