Bondo/elmers/gluewater on MDF...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bondo/elmers/gluewater on MDF...

If shellac is used, be sure it's de-waxed shellac like the Zinsser Seal Coat mentioned above.

Many shellacs contain wax which will interfere with adhesion of top coats.
    Bill Schneider
    -+-+-+-+-
    www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

I use this: Deft Sanding Sealer

It will require multiple coats on end grain MDF, but is cost effective and seems to work well. That said, I've only veneered cabinets that I've used Delf on. Would probably take quite a few coats on end grain, I think I used 4 when I was veneering, and would double that for paint.

I've also used diluted TightbondII, and TBII with MDF sawdust as a filler (50/50). I buy TBII by the gallon and always seem to have plenty of MDF sawdust laying around. :D

Used to use Bondo - may again.

Comment

I use about 60/40 Titebond II and water, about 4 coats over the entire cabinets... works great...

See my SR71 build thread here for more details...

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=208196

By the way it's been about 5 months now, and the seams still look very good... you can see the seams have emerged ever so slightly in a few places, but it's unnoticeable unless you really look for it... I doubt you could ever hide the seams 100% forever, regardless of the technique... no surface finish could ever completely prevent the mdf from expanding/contracting

Comment

Originally posted by jonpike View Post
          I'll second the Shellac... I think any water you get into the MDF will take a while getting back out. The Alcohol that is Shellac's base evaporates much faster, and doesn't seem to cause as much swelling while it's in there.
          So everyone keeps saying...

But in my experience that's simply not the case... on my three Tritrix speakers, I did two with wood glue/water and one with shellac...

The slight emergence of seams has been equivalent on all 3 speakers... the shellaced speaker did not perform any better than the wood glued speakers.

I did, however, find that the wood glued speakers sanded much better... the shellac tended to gum up upon sanding, particularly on the roundovers.

So I'll stick with the wood glue/water

Comment

Any advice for me?

I filled, then put on a coat of Zinser Shellac based primer.

Then, I noticed that some places need to be filled again. Problem is the joint compound I was using to fill does not seem to stick to the shellac.

Any advice?

Thanks,
            Mike

Comment

Probably should go back to the ol reliables! Diluted wood glue's, clear poly's or minwax seal & sand. They allways work!!

Comment

Originally posted by mtmpenn View Post
                Any advice for me?

I filled, then put on a coat of Zinser Shellac based primer.

Then, I noticed that some places need to be filled again. Problem is the joint compound I was using to fill does not seem to stick to the shellac.

Any advice?

Thanks,
                Mike
                You might try 3M Acryl Green Putty... specifically intended for fixing imperfections after you've primered.

I know it works perfectly after using typical paint primers... although I'm not familiar with a shellac-based primer.

Comment

I made the mistake of using an orbital sander and that basically destroyed the edges by unevenly removing too much. Would a finishing sander fair better?

Comment

Working...
                  X