Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any mt's would match Zaph's ZD3C center...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jkim
    replied
    Re: any mt's would match Zaph's ZD3C center...

There are two possible reasons why people want to couple large mains with subwoofer(s). One is to use a lower xover point to avoid the subwoofer localization problem. But according to my experience, if your subwoofer uses a low distortion driver, 80 Hz or even 100 Hz xover is not a problem. Another reason is to build an high SPL capable system, because an MT design, even if high-passed at 80 Hz, has limited max output. But for most people and for the general purpose, MTs with a sub will provide enough SPL.

I wouldn't be concerned about metal versus textile domes. Either will work equally well in your setup. Don't worry about timbre matching---both 27TBFC/G and 27TDFC have similar distortion profiles. BTW, I don't have a design with the Dayton RS28A-4.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by pochoboy View Post
    Jay,

I'm a newbie at speaker building and terms, what is the meaning of the word "voiced"? "I recommend using 27TDFC because I voiced the speakers with the tweeter, although ... ." The ZD3C uses metal drivers as to the RS180, RS52 but the tweeter is a neo. Would the Seas metal tweeter be my choice or should we stick to the textile?

As I read your write-up it seemed your setup is what I wanted in my HT, your speakers crossover at 80hz with the subwoofer. The smaller cabinet is more of what I was looking for and it seems to be in line with the Modula mt's output. I do like my deep bass coming out of my sub and I don't have pro-audio/or seperate electronic units but just my plain ole receiver that has settings to crossover at 80,100 or 120hz. Now, I'm beginning to understand that people with better electronics can cross lower with deeper sounding mains to make things sound full, is this correct? Could I assume that the lower cross would greatly benefit music listeners and although it would help in a HT system its not as critical? Consideration of cost, size and use in a HT audio setup I've chosen to go small for the mains and surrounds. I hope these will turn out well matched to Zaph's CC, but understand I will not know until I have everything built and in place.
    Your RS180 in a sealed box won't go much below 80Hz. That would be the place to set the receiver to cross to such a system.

Go with J's XO. It's simpler and gets the job done.

The RS28 is an excellent tweeter. Don't hesitate. It looks a lot nicer than the SEAS units, and that mesh grid keeps the dome from poking fingers.

Leave a comment:

• pochoboy
    replied

Originally posted by jkim View Post
    Note that the Modula MT uses the PE 0.75 cu ft MT cabinet which is 10" wide and 17" tall. If you prefer smaller cabinets and plan to use the speakers always with a subwoofer, consider building my sealed design:

http://www.geocities.com/woove99/Spk...RS180_2way.htm

This design uses exactly the same drivers as the Modula.

-jAy
    Jay,

I'm a newbie at speaker building and terms, what is the meaning of the word "voiced"? "I recommend using 27TDFC because I voiced the speakers with the tweeter, although ... ." The ZD3C uses metal drivers as to the RS180, RS52 but the tweeter is a neo. Would the Seas metal tweeter be my choice or should we stick to the textile?

As I read your write-up it seemed your setup is what I wanted in my HT, your speakers crossover at 80hz with the subwoofer. The smaller cabinet is more of what I was looking for and it seems to be in line with the Modula mt's output. I do like my deep bass coming out of my sub and I don't have pro-audio/or seperate electronic units but just my plain ole receiver that has settings to crossover at 80,100 or 120hz. Now, I'm beginning to understand that people with better electronics can cross lower with deeper sounding mains to make things sound full, is this correct? Could I assume that the lower cross would greatly benefit music listeners and although it would help in a HT system its not as critical? Consideration of cost, size and use in a HT audio setup I've chosen to go small for the mains and surrounds. I hope these will turn out well matched to Zaph's CC, but understand I will not know until I have everything built and in place.

Leave a comment:

• jkim
    replied

Note that the Modula MT uses the PE 0.75 cu ft MT cabinet which is 10" wide and 17" tall. If you prefer smaller cabinets and plan to use the speakers always with a subwoofer, consider building my sealed design:

http://www.geocities.com/woove99/Spk...RS180_2way.htm

This design uses exactly the same drivers as the Modula.

-jAy

Leave a comment:

• pochoboy
    replied

No I'm not suggesting that at all. Just that the Modula XO is a complex build.
    Whew.... thanks for clearing that up

there's still hope

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Pete are you suggesting I'd have to modify the Modula mt's xo design to match the ZD3C? If so, I'm totally at a loss as I've got no experience in designing those circuits.
    No I'm not suggesting that at all. Just that the Modula XO is a complex build.

Leave a comment:

• pochoboy
    replied

Nothing wrong with the Modula's for main use. The XO is a bit complex, but the result has gotten good reviews.
    Pete are you suggesting I'd have to modify the Modula mt's xo design to match the ZD3C? If so, I'm totally at a loss as I've got no experience in designing those circuits.

Leave a comment:

• pochoboy
    replied

Where can I find links to Paul K's Centilana's project/build? I've search and found a pic of a small white tower but is there a MT Centilana out there?
    edit:
    Pete,

cost for Zaph's mains are a factor but I'm looking for bookshelf size mains and surrounds which an MT design would fulfill. I know the best match would be Zaph mains but I don't listen to music at all in which if you do your main front speakers would be your priority. My main priority with a CC was to have clear vocals which my Energy Take5 cleary can't reproduce. I've read mtm's layed horizontally was not the best way to go about for a center channel and that a 3 way would do better. This is the reason for going the ZD3C route as I wanted a good CC but now I'm finding there's no write up on mating it with any mt's as fronts.

And from the looks of it I may rule out the Castilana's as it seems to be some sort of towers. I think I'll go with the Modula MT's, someone mentioned the Seas non aluminum dome tweeter would be the best match for surrounds so I guess it would do for the mains although I wanted to use the RS28's to keep it all Dayton drivers.

Leave a comment:

• pochoboy
    replied

thank you for the inputs

yes I do have a subwoofer that I just finished building with a PE amp/PE parts and will check out the Modula mt's and the Centilana's. I feel much better having 2 opinions that MT mains should do just fine for Home Theater use as I don't listen to music at all unless its part of the movie.

Leave a comment:

• lunchmoney
    replied

I agree that the Modula MT's would work well... strictly based on their size, never actually heard them...

I say this because my SR71's are essentially the same size as Modula MT's (same size drivers, same volume enclosures), and they are capable of some BIG sound...

I've never quite understood why people insist on humongous speakers for their mains...

I mean I get it, and I'd love to have some big mains... but for sure a smaller speaker like the Modula MT can get the job done just fine... gigantic mains are not required.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

are there any front main mt's that would match Zaph's ZD3C center channel? I've inquired elsewhere but I ask here too. Its stated that the Modula mt's would be good for the surrounds but I'm talking front mains. It's just for HT use
    Nothing wrong with the Modula's for main use. The XO is a bit complex, but the result has gotten good reviews.

I hope you're using a sub, because a 7" MT is not going to provide the bass required for HT use. If you do have a sub, then build your MT with a sealed enclosure and run them in "small" mode with the subs engaged.

Otherwise, consider doing Paul K.s Centilana. It's a three way using the RS180-4, RS52 and Vifa XT19 or Dayton RS28. Probably make a nice mate for the ZD3C.

Any reason other than cost not to built the ZDT3.5?

Leave a comment:

• pochoboy
    started a topic any mt's would match Zaph's ZD3C center...

any mt's would match Zaph's ZD3C center...

are there any front main mt's that would match Zaph's ZD3C center channel? I've inquired elsewhere but I ask here too. Its stated that the Modula mt's would be good for the surrounds but I'm talking front mains. It's just for HT use
Working...
X