Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Were They Thinking?!

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=296-220

I mean sure it has wiz bang technology and loads of xmax but come on......it's only a 3 inch driver and low sensitivity plus it's $170! Good luck selling many of these.:rolleyes:

Re: What Were They Thinking?!

Originally posted by davidl View Post

I mean sure it has wiz bang technology and loads of xmax but come on......it's only a 3 inch driver and low sensitivity plus it's $170! Good luck selling many of these.:rolleyes:
    I have to agree. A 3" driver with 12mm of Xmax!? The bass will be weak due to the cone area and the highs will be terrible due to all that doppler effect taking place.
    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
      I have to agree. A 3" driver with 12mm of Xmax!? The bass will be weak due to the cone area and the highs will be terrible due to all that doppler effect taking place.
      It is an oddity. Car sound people will love it. (Ducks from thrown tomatoes)

NK
      I'm just that guy. www.sru.edu Rock Solid.

"It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion."

L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Comment

Well, been predicting this, but didn't expect 12mm in a 3"... well, not yet anyway!!!

:rolleyes:

Comment

All: the spec sheet lists 12mm pp so it may be only 6 after all. Still, if they cost waaayyy less and were crossed over high enough, they'd make a heck of a super small satellite speaker, hitting power limit before excursion limit. I'm still sticking by my 9 dollar B3's!

Cheers / Robert

Comment

Originally posted by davidl View Post

These should work well in a line array, that should boost the volume of sales.:rolleyes:

Seriously though, I give them credit for publishing a graph that shows distortion kicking up between 2 and 3 (mm?). However, if I understand the graph correctly, it shows that half the displacement is relatively worthless for clean sound. :eek:

Does this mean physics wins again?

Comment

Bench, I think it means that XBL isn't nearly as special as they want us to believe. :rolleyes:

Comment

Isn't x-max an IEC standard? I believe x-max means the point when the driver hits 10% thd or 10% total IMD.

There was a thread about how to determine x-max by Augerpro on HTguide recently.

Comment

I'll take a RS sub @ $75 cheaper please
                  STOP. (100110) WASTED SPACE. (0100110101100)
                  INFORMATIVE INFORMATION. (0)

Comment

Originally posted by brianpowers27 View Post
                    Isn't x-max an IEC standard? I believe x-max means the point when the driver hits 10% thd or 10% total IMD.

There was a thread about how to determine x-max by Augerpro on HTguide recently.
                    By definition Xmax is dimensional based on voice coil gap and height. When people redefine it in terms of distortion measurements they have extended the definition beyond what it is really based on. That doesn't mean these aren't valid measurements, only that it is not the definition of Xmax. This "new method" all developed from high excursion woofer companies trying show that their woofer had lower distortion than the other guy's regardless of the different Xmax specs.
                    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                      By definition Xmax is dimensional based on voice coil gap and height. When people redefine it in terms of distortion measurements they have extended the definition beyond what it is really based on. That doesn't mean these aren't valid measurements, only that it is not the definition of Xmax. This "new method" all developed from high excursion woofer companies trying show that their woofer had lower distortion than the other guy's regardless of the different Xmax specs.
                      I think you are right. I may be recalling the reverse engineering we did on the Klippel analysis instead of the IEC standard.

Comment

I'm sure they will sell a bunch of these to the same people that buy the expensive Morel drivers. There are a lot of people who listen to price-tags, even (especially????) in the DIY world.
                        Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

appear to have a range +/- the Jordin's and Bandors ???

The Bandor's (2 in) are actually high quality drivers and sound excellent. I've heard them crossed at 600Hz as two ways. Keeps the crossover well away from the ears most sensitive range (near where most speakers generally get crossed over to the tweeters) Haven't heard these so cannot comment on the sound quality / usability.

Generally build quality (Morel's) is reflected in price. Their 9in driver is a good example- should take a look and listen....

Comment

Generally build quality (Morel's) is reflected in price.
                            Build quality and sound quality are not one and the same. The testing of a lot of Morel drivers does not back up a lot of their pricing structure.
                            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

yes, GM is a good example...

... and that may not be true for all Morel's, I just referenced one I've have seen, tested, and listened to...

Comment

Working...
                              X