Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TangBand 75-1558SE on a Waveguide with Measurements

Link doesn't work for me . . . :(
    Not sure why my phone isn't posting it right. Other then I'm out in frigid temps and my phone doesn't like that. I'll repair it when I get home.

Dave
    http://www.pellegreneacoustics.com/

Trench Seam Method for MDF
    https://picasaweb.google.com/101632266659473725850

Comment

A big waveguide is out of the scope of my project Dave, but be sure to post the results here, I'd like to see what it looks like.
      ~Brandon
      Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
      Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
      Soma Sonus

Comment

Here is a pic of the polar from the guide from my earlier post
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1155364

Here is the distortion at 90 dbs EQ'd flat and rolled off on the bottom end

Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1155365

Pic of the guide

Size:	683.0 KB
ID:	1155366

Here is the overlapped mid/ tweeter guide. This gets a 12 woofer so the 11" wide mid guide should work well.

Size:	481.4 KB
ID:	1155367

Dave

Comment

The double guide is hard to make out since it's clear. Clear is the cheapest and easy to work with.

Size:	592.3 KB
ID:	1155368

Size:	640.8 KB
ID:	1155369

Comment

How close on the dome are you going? I have placed the edge of my guide at the edge of the surround.
            If we all reacted the same way, we'd be predictable, and there's always more than one way to view a situation.
            What's true for the group is also true for the individual. It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness.
            It's slow death.

//Burn n' Die//Dream Weaver//Maximus//ABC Bookshelf Speakers//Dayton Twin Towers

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper Tom View Post
              How close on the dome are you going? I have placed the edge of my guide at the edge of the surround.
              The throat is 3-1/8".

Comment

Really great to this idea of a molded mid-high waveguide starts to become real.

I'm with Tom regarding the throat diameter:
                What I've found on the internet are the dimensions Klein&Hummel use for the O410 (now Neumann KH410)

HT Oval: 180mm x 120mm (the complete ellipse,
                HT throat diameter: 39mm (for a custom version of the Seas H883 27TAFC/G)
                HT depth: 34mm

MT Oval: 260mm x 180mm (using the Dynaudio D76 3" dome)
                MT diameter: 93mm
                MT depth: 46mm

I'm looking forward how this turns out always with one finger on the "buy now"-button (I do have a pair of 1558SE waiting to get used).

Jochen

Comment

Dave, I'm curious about the cross sections of your guides in the photos, have you measured or delineated these?
                  Originally posted by davepellegrene View Post
                  The double guide is hard to make out since it's clear. Clear is the cheapest and easy to work with.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]44232[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44233[/ATTACH]

Comment

Dang Dave, you're getting pretty good at this!:applause:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44232[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44233[/ATTACH]
                    Dan N.

Comment

Originally posted by TN Allen View Post
                      Dave, I'm curious about the cross sections of your guides in the photos, have you measured or delineated these?
                      Only thing I measure is the mouth, throat and depth. The radius is a natural curve that forms on its own. Change any of the three measurements and the radius changes with them.

Dave

Comment

Thank you!

Only thing I measure is the mouth, throat and depth. The radius is a natural curve that forms on its own. Change any of the three measurements and the radius changes with them.

Dave

Comment

I think I have a usable waveguide now. Very simple 3/4" deep, 3/4" chamfer, and 3 13/16" throat. And after a lot of baffle sims and a few prototypes to see just how well the sims' results work with an actual crossover in place, I measured on the final baffle design. My 3 way will move forward now: 8" Peerless HDS woofer (for now), hopefully a Transducer Lab tweeter, and one version with the TB dome mid and another using the BG Neo8. Here is a pic of the mockup of the final baffle, raw response of the TB, and after a LR4 bandpass crossover is in place at 700hz and 2600hz:

Not sure if I'll do anything about the higher frequency response peak. I was listening to this (and a few other drivers) unfiltered the other day and it sounds really smooth, the higher frequencies just melt away. No wonder midband distortion is so low.
                          Last edited by augerpro; 03-17-2014, 02:46 PM.
                          ~Brandon
                          Soma Sonus

Comment

Originally posted by JochenM View Post
                            Really great to this idea of a molded mid-high waveguide starts to become real.

I'm with Tom regarding the throat diameter:
                            What I've found on the internet are the dimensions Klein&Hummel use for the O410 (now Neumann KH410)

HT Oval: 180mm x 120mm (the complete ellipse,
                            HT throat diameter: 39mm (for a custom version of the Seas H883 27TAFC/G)
                            HT depth: 34mm

MT Oval: 260mm x 180mm (using the Dynaudio D76 3" dome)
                            MT diameter: 93mm
                            MT depth: 46mm

I'm looking forward how this turns out always with one finger on the "buy now"-button (I do have a pair of 1558SE waiting to get used).

Jochen
                            Well I do quote myself this time.
                            I found a imho interesting drwaing of the Neumann KH410 that goes along with the measurements in the quote above.

Name:	O410 CAD.jpg
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	1157850

Source:http://www.neumann-kh-line.com/klein-hummel/globals.nsf/resources/o410_cad_20071007.pdf/$File/o410_cad_20071007.pdf

Comment

Looks a lot like Dave Pellegrene's waveguide design, have you seen that?

BTW I have the Transducer Lab tweeters ont eh way Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...Going to take some vacation this month to pound these out, along with the 9 bookshelf TM's and 3 MTM's I was working on today.
                              ~Brandon
                              Soma Sonus

Comment

Originally posted by augerpro View Post
                                Looks a lot like Dave Pellegrene's waveguide design, have you seen that?
                                Absolutely. And regarding the fact that Klein&Hummel/Neumann were the first ones with waveguides like that for dome mids, Dave is right on track.
                                They made about 200 prototypes for the O500 back in 2000 I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X