No announcement yet.

Anyone build their own garage cabinets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone build their own garage cabinets?

I have a fairly large 2 car garage that I would like to build cabinets and a workbench for the back wall. Something along the lines of kitchen cabinets but relatively inexpensive to build. Does anyone have any pictures or plans or any help at all? I've Googled a ton and can't seem to find any plans.

Re: Anyone build their own garage cabinets?

I'm looking for the same thing, Christian. I just bought a house that has a decent-sized garage, but no workbench area... so I'll need to put something together.

For inspiration for you, however, here's a picture of the [breathtaking] workspace that came with the house I currently live in (unfortunately, the rest of the house is too small, and is a rental).

Gosh, looking at this photo from two years ago, comparing to what it actually looks like right now, I've really trashed the place.:o
    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
    Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

I remember that picture from another thread. That's really not too shabby of a workspace, with plenty of wall outlets.

My garage is 20w x 24d so I have a few extra feet of depth to play with. I'd like to build cabinets on the wall and floor at least 10 feet wide, hopefully wider. I was thinking simple 2x4 + plywood but don't want it to look like crap.

Comment

hey paul. wow.

christian. check and see if there is a used contruction place around. habitat for humanity has stores in some areas.
        " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
        Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
        http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Read up on how to build frameless cabinets. Its fairly easy to do with just a table saw. Buy sme decent maple ply, edgeband all visible edges with iron tape. You can but full overlay hinges at home depot. Then cut a piece of peg board to fit in the cabinet to use as a template on the sides, and use a 1/4" bit to drill adjustable shelves. Ill take some pics of mine tomorrow for you.
          Check out my website: www.uberstealthaudio.com.
          Now offering cnc cut baffles and other speaker cabinet parts

Comment

My latest Woodcraft magazine (June/July 2009) has plans for hinged cabinets and workbenches. The plans have a bill of materials, step-by-step construction diagrams, plus they show how to do it in frameless MDF and/or in frame & panel plywood depending on budget.

I subscribe, but I expect that these magazines are available at Woodcraft stores.
            Bill Schneider
            -+-+-+-+-
            www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

I love a heavy built work table on lockable caster wheels. I built one 4'X6' with lots of storage underneath and a power strips mounted under the table top. I built it with half wood top and half plate steel. The steel side has a heavy cast combination vice and the wood side has a nice wood jaw type vice. both are removable. I keep my most common used hand tools and power tools underneath fro quick assess.
              It is so great to be able to get 360* around your work and just spin whatever your working on to you without hitting a back wall! Not to mention you can just role it outside to do messy or stinky work. Ill never fill up my wall space with benches again. Thats where floor mount tolls like drill press and grinders go. Then your mobile tolls like table saw planners jointer etc are stored up against the wall instead of scattered around the center of the room.

Comment

arlis,

I'm heading out soon to the local Habitat store after calling them to check if they had any cabinets. Sure enough, they do. I'll let you know what I find.

nik,

That would be great if you could post some pictures.

William,

That looks like the perfect issue, though, there aren't any Woodcraft stores around here. They closed the one we had about 2 years ago. :(

Comment

I did a bunch out of 1/2" shop grade plywood & 2X4s. No doors though. I built everything like a 5 sided speaker box, brad nailer with polyurethane construction adhesive. I had a wall of bare studs, I used the 1/2" plywood like sheet rock. Put my "bookcases" just about anywhere.
                  Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
                  "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
                  Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

christian, where do you live? how did you find this store?
                    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

http://www.rd.com/advice-and-know-ho...s_september_08

http://popularwoodworking.com/articl...ly_procedures/

WayneN

Comment

@christianb Building Garage Cabinet as DIY is best!!! But you have to invest lot of time. Now-a-days you can get best customizable garage storage cabinets at very affordable cost...

According to me that is the best option rather then building.....

Comment

^^^ These spammers are getting very creative. :eek:

Comment

Honestly, I'd just search your local craigslist. I see tons of listings for used kitchen cabinets all the time. When people upgrade thier kitchens, they try to get a couple bucks for the old ones...and in some cases give the old ones away free. Some are great, some just need new paint, doors or hardware (cheap) to look like new.

Comment

I would prefer a shop area constructed of wood over those pre-fab metal cabinets. Plus you can customize things to the room and your liking...and you get the DIY fun factor :D . I'm looking to buy a house within the next year and am looking forward to building a workshop.

Comment

Working...
                              X