Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd build; preliminary prints. Overnight Sensations

Well,
    It's time to build anothern. I've been wanting to put together some killer pc speakers for the office, and Paul's Overnight Sensations appear they will fit the bill. I'm in no hurry to finish, so I will be putting some extra finesse into the enclosures. Similar to the curved tritrix, but hopefully much, much easier to jig up and laminate at only 12-3/4" tall. Also plan to fully integrate the Dayton DTS-1 amplifier. So here goes..

~Mark

Stuff I've builded http://techtalk.parts-express.com/co...lies/smile.png

Re: 3rd build; preliminary prints. Overnight Sensations

Holy Cow! That's really going the extra mile on the cabinets. You also win an award for making a super-compact crossover.

I just cut crossover boards for mine tonight but decided to split mine into two parts (tweeter, woofer) to fit into the tiny cabinet. I wish I could have seen this before I started cutting.
    Bill Schneider
    -+-+-+-+-
    www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

Wow!
      No matter where you go, there you are.
      Website

Comment

Paul will be proud!

Also plan to fully integrate the Dayton DTS-1 amplifier. So here goes..
        Do you mean the t-amp?

Comment

Originally posted by brianpowers27 View Post

Do you mean the t-amp?
          Yes. In case it's not enough juice, I'm going to bring both of the amp channels out of the powered side, so I can run on an external amplifier if I want to. For the now though, and for the office, I'm sure that little Tri path will be more than enough.
          ~Mark

Comment

Originally posted by WWWJD View Post
            The entrance to that port is right behind the speaker's magnet, quite close to where the pole vent likely is (if the driver has one). That might cause a bit of noise through the port.

Did you consider using a slightly wider and longer port, to push its entrance past the driver's magnet? The larger port should also help to disperse any reflections from the back wall .
            Brian Steele
            www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post
              The entrance to that port is right behind the speaker's magnet, quite close to where the pole vent likely is (if the driver has one). That might cause a bit of noise through the port.

Did you consider using a slightly wider and longer port, to push its entrance past the driver's magnet? The larger port should also help to disperse any reflections from the back wall .
              It does not have a pole-vent, detriment mitigated.
              Later,
              Wolf
              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
              https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Outstanding! I've been secretly hoping someone would do one of my designs in a curved cabinet someday. I'm excited to see how it turns out!

That riser is just the thing to get the most out of this design. These things oughtta sing for you at your desk!

Also, I'm with Wolf, I think that because the pole piece isn't vented, I don't think the port location will be much of a problem. On the other hand, you can use a 1.5" dia PVC pipe that is 7.5" long to get the same tuning (just checked it in Unibox). Not sure if that helps.
                Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

These look like they are going to be real lookers when you're done!

Would the port venting into the partially-confined space between the bottom of the cabinet and the integrated base change the effective tuning?

Comment

Originally posted by squib View Post
                    Would the port venting into the partially-confined space between the bottom of the cabinet and the integrated base change the effective tuning?
                    I doubt it; I think I would be more concerned if this were a larger system pushing higher port velocities. As it is, there is still at least a full port diameter between the exit and pedestal foot.

Paul, I had that thought last night; going with 1.5", but with space quickly becoming a premium in these tiny cabs, I don't think there's much to gain, and again, the lack of displacement doesn't really warrant a big concern.

I'm gonna see if I can't do you some justice on these things!
                    ~Mark

Comment

Nice Drawings!! I draft all my stuff out to in 3D CAD but no way I can make them as presentable as yours, good job. I like the design too, I think I might have to borrow your blueprints if you don't mind.

BTW Paul since you're in this thread I have a question or two for you. I was planning to use these for computer speakers. Problem is is that I use a triple display, a 26" with 20.5"ers on either side so my whole display is ~56" wide. I was going to place these right up beside the outer monitors, baffles ~level with the screen but they'll be wide open on the far side. What will that do to the BSC? Also what would you place the limits for being off axis (horizontaly) before FR suffers?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X